What if I am not a HUGE meat fan?

Options
mjbrowne
mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
First, I LOVE all of you! I have been exploring the LCHF life for nearly a month and the advice and support in this group has been so encouraging. I have NEVER been a huge meat fan and am starting to get sick of eating the few meats I do like. I need to lose 40 lbs, so more cheese is not the answer. I used to get more protein from beans...but those are out now. To make it worse, I can't stomach any kind of seafood...I can TOLERATE tuna salad with lots of pickles and mustard. (Oh how I wish I LOVED fish!!) Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge meat fan either. In fact, I was a vegetarian for 8 years before I fell pregnant with my first son. Because there are few meats that I like and most of the ones that I'll eat are lean I do get protein from cheese, Greek yogurt, and beans. I allow myself 100 carbs daily to account for this. I just can't force myself to eat fatty meats!
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    Try FF cottage cheese, FF yogurt, nuts & seeds too. And...the almighty egg. Eggs can be fixed in so many way that the possibilities are endless.

For lunch, I had roast chicken thigh, avocado, sriacha mayo, and a tbsp. chia seed. Meat doesn't have to be the show stealer.

Check out Pinterest. I get a lot of great ideas from there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Let us know what meats you do like, and maybe we can suggest things very close to those or alternate preparations...
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and the main challenge is protein, imo. I use nut butters in cooking, sparingly, but I also bought a very good and ok tasting protein powder. This gives me a lot of leeway, without having to make it an all dairy diet
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    This might give you some more ideas that don't include meat.

How to be a low carb vegan: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/video-low-carb-vegan-keto-plant-based/
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm having that problem, I actually love meat, but only eat once a week - it gives me digestive problems. I do eat fish and am increasing eggs, but mainly have been eating cheese. Extra cheese, with low carbs and not enough fiber has a new set of side effects that my body never experience- I need to divesify. Lunch today is shredded zucchini with kippered herring. I've no idea how you do this if you can't eat fish and dairy.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You may be interested in https://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Black beans are actually not too high carb. I eat a black bean chili which has 1/4 cup black beans per serving.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I DO eat lots of chicken and eggs, and love Greek yogurt. I found a low carb yogurt at the local Ruler Foods (sells Kroger food). I have a texture issue, so cottage cheese doesn't look too appealing. (My mom ate it when I was young and my memory of it is not fond.) I DO think I need to give it another try, though. I will check out the veg/keto links. Wasn't aware of black beans, so yay! I also am excited to try the "bread" type recipes..with the nut flours and such. Just need to get in the habit of prepping on Sundays. I gave in to the PMS cravings this weekend and after I had that one cookie..it all went to heck real quick. And I've felt sick to my stomach all weekend. Snapped out of it yesterday, prepped what food I DID have on hand for snacks this week, and today is a new day and I am DETERMINED to stick to this WOE because I felt AMAZING the days I was strict with myself. I found a great FaceBook group that has a lot of info and the Launch Pad on here is great. I just need to read, prepare my mind and pantry..and this will be a piece of cake. We have deer meat stocked in our freezer (hubby and son hunt), so just trying different stuff and finding what works for my family is key. (A huge obstacle with any WOE in the past has been cooking two separate meals nightly..with this WOE though, that is no longer a problem). You guys are the BEST and I am so thankful for your support. LOVE AND BLESSINGS AND HAVE A HEALTH WEEK, Y'ALL!!!