Net Carbs vs. total Carbs

Options
Which are you counting? Or is there a benefit to counting one over the other?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Total carbs
    No fuss, no muss.

>:) OR o:)
  • angievanhill
    angievanhill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Net. But I get 20 net/day.
  • beeshoney
    beeshoney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Total. Only thing that worked for me.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Net mostly.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Net 35, but usually not much fiber. Maybe 5-10 grams per day, generally. I count net because I go pretty nuts without summer fruits, and broccoli. When winter comes I might drop down to 20 total again.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Net for me too!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Total

But when I eating only fibrous veggies I don't count. Not that many carbs!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Total carbs
    No fuss, no muss.

>:) OR o:)

Total. Stay at 20, sometimes 25 if I'm doing veggies one day.

Never have to worry about ketosis and not tempted to add subtract 'crappie carbs', sugar alcohols, etc
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Net - about 40-60 grams a day (except an occasional cheat day). I won't go below that unless I stop losing weight. But I keep my calories between 1400-1800 a day.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Net... but in the UK, net is listed as total carbohydrates and fiber is listed separately.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Fiber seems to matter in metabolism for me

I am watching this more and reading up on it.

I have found lots of health reasons to keep vegetable fiber in my diet

Not finding much on the need for sugars.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Which are you counting? Or is there a benefit to counting one over the other?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10057456/so-which-is-it-total-carbs-or-net-carbs
    A brief short summary of net vs. total carbs.
    Total or Net?
    The whole issue of "net" vs "total" carbs is one upon which there is a VERY wide difference of opinion.

The practice of counting “net” carbs works this way. Simply, you take the total carbohydrate count of a food and subtract the dietary fiber and/or the sugar alcohols. The rationale behind this is threefold. First, dietary fiber is widely believed to be indigestible. Dietary fiber is composed of cellulose, and humans, unlike some other creatures, cannot process them. And if this is so, then since it is not digestible, then it doesn't affect blood glucose levels, so it doesn't count. Secondly, sugar alcohols are believed to not be around long enough to affect blood sugar either, so they do not count. Thirdly, some use the motivation of subtracting the fiber to encourage themselves to eat more fiber rich foods. To them, a better choice in carbs means they can eat more carbs.

Plans like Atkins, some ketogenic diets, and others allow for the subtraction of these two elements. However, like with anything, human beings are different. This is where the difference of opinion hinges. Different foods have been shown to have different results in individuals, sometimes in how it affects blood glucose. There have been instances when a high fiber food does indeed cause a blood sugar spike and sugar alcohols linger long enough to do so as well. Some people have also recognized stalls in their weight loss as a result of consuming sugar alcohols in their diets.

As a result of this, many low-carb eaters prefer to count “total” carbs instead. The rationale being: “carbohydrates are carbohydrates.” Also, many view foods made with sugar alcohols as unacceptable in their diet, because they are only found in highly processed foods. Many of this camp prefer to keep “real foods” (aka unprocessed foods) in their diets.

So Who Is Right?
    As with so many other topics you encounter in the low-carb communities, it depends on who you ask, and it depends on how your body responds. Do the research on your foods and their ingredients, and choose which method seems right for you. Keep tabs on the affects of your approach on your body, and then make the decision whether or not to stay with your chosen carb-counting method, or decide to change to another.

People's bodies respond differently to carbohydrates, so you're going to have to monitor how total vs. net works for you. Some think that the whole net carb thing is a ploy by marketers to sell low-carb-junk-food. Some have found though that fiber does temper the effect of carbs on their systems so they count net. Some find fiber doesn't help them out much as far as blood glucose response. It's a YMMV thing, unfortunately.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In the past sugar alcohols and processed low carb "junk food" (Atkins or other bars, cookies, etc) were my downfall for "carb creep".

So, I wouldn't worry about subtracting fiber from your carb count, particularly healthy veggies - but I would carefully watch the sugar alcohols. Many of us can't see any difference between those and straight table sugar.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I use total primarily, but if I eat veggies, I use a higher total. Generally it was 20 grams total, 40 grams total with veggies. I subtract fiber when calculating net carbs, but I do NOT subtract sugar alcohols. Being insulin resistant, the sugar alcohols spike my insulin response just as much as sugar/quick carbs.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well, to clarify my "mostly", I don't count fiber in veggies as a carb and I don't eat any sugar alcohols anymore aside from Erythritol, which I also don't count. The rest I don't trust, and aside from an occasional quest bar, I don't eat the Atkins/low carb bars or treats. I just don't really crave sweets anymore, and they were my biggest weakness LOL. Net has always worked fine for me, but as mentioned I totally agree it's a YMMV thing.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I worry about the total, but if I go over because I ate an avocado or something then it doesn't bother me.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I dont trust net carbs. I've found when I allow things into my diet that contain fiber you can supposedly subtract (almond flour for example) I gain weight. So I try and keep it clean, very little in the way of "carb substitute" foods.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The total carbs versus net carb discussion is something you shouldn't worry about.

The affect it has on a low carb or Ketogenic diet is minuscule. In terms of importance of doing the diet, its like giving a lot of attention to a tiny 1/4" long surface scratch on your leg, when you've broke your other leg and the bone is sticking out and your bleeding to death.

Do it however makes you feel better.

Concentrate on keeps you carbs low, your fat high, and your protein medium. Run a calorie deficit. The low carb way of eating won't make you so damn hungry like a high carb/low fat diet will.

If you get into an "unscheduled maintenance" (I love KnitOrMiss for this phrase!) situation, then lower your carbs more, and if that doesn't work, lower your calories, if that doesn't work, try intermittant fasting, if that doesn't work, try water fasting.

If you exercise vigorously, keep it 2-4 days away from your weigh-in day, because exercise causes your body to retain water for healing.

Sorry, I got carried away...

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    The total carbs versus net carb discussion is something you shouldn't worry about.

The affect it has on a low carb or Ketogenic diet is minuscule. In terms of importance of doing the diet, its like giving a lot of attention to a tiny 1/4" long surface scratch on your leg, when you've broke your other leg and the bone is sticking out and your bleeding to death.

Do it however makes you feel better.

Concentrate on keeps you carbs low, your fat high, and your protein medium. Run a calorie deficit. The low carb way of eating won't make you so damn hungry like a high carb/low fat diet will.

If you get into an "unscheduled maintenance" (I love KnitOrMiss for this phrase!) situation, then lower your carbs more, and if that doesn't work, lower your calories, if that doesn't work, try intermittant fasting, if that doesn't work, try water fasting.

If you exercise vigorously, keep it 2-4 days away from your weigh-in day, because exercise causes your body to retain water for healing.

Sorry, I got carried away...

I hope this helps,

Awesome advise! Thank you.

• TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My doc wants me to do total carbs to work past my insulin resistance which many of us have. Any and all carbs affect my outcomes of carbs being turn into more fat. Hang in there you will figure it out. Always ask your doctor if they are working with you on weight loss.