Jenny's Progress :)

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I know I should ask this on the Fitbit site, but since you are talking about it..does the Charge HR increase your burn for the bike riding, etc? I have a One & don't think it does, so I wonder if I would like the Charge HR better.

The One is totally a step-based calorie burn estimate - and biking is not only missing steps, but the steps seen have nothing to do with walking or running - so the formula to get calorie burn is totally wrong.

Yes the HR-based devices would do that better if steady-state aerobic cardio is major part of your workouts.

If you are attempting to get a handle on real TDEE - you need to manually log ALL non-step based activity on Fitbit's site (better calorie estimate) - like swimming of course, lifting, rowing, stair climber, biking, elliptical, ect.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You also have to realise that it takes a while to truly see change, especially when you aren't doing a huge cut. It takes time. A LOT of time. But it's worth it, especially as you are lifting, since you will lose more fat and retain more muscle than you would have before.
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know I should ask this on the Fitbit site, but since you are talking about it..does the Charge HR increase your burn for the bike riding, etc? I have a One & don't think it does, so I wonder if I would like the Charge HR better.

I have the Charge HR and have it record a workout when I bike. I also turn map my ride on and compare. I like having the distance and pace info map my ride gives me but its calorie burns are as much as 1/3 higher than what my charge records. Usually if I manually log the bike ride and override the recorded workout it's also a bit higher though not as much. so I tend to just categorize it as a bike ride and keep the recorded workout stats. I tend to trust them most because I can see how they correspond to effort exerted.

I also highly recommend getting the Fitbit (and ifyou do I think it's really worth going for the charge hr). I had a different experience than most which is that I was shocked to realize howany calories I'm actually burning. Last week I averages right around 3,000 calories burned a day. And that's with minimal working out-just an overall high level of activity. This confirmed for me that I must have been eating between 3,000 and 3,500 cals/day over the last 2 years. This knowledge makes it so much easier to know what to do. You get a weekly report from Fitbit - I just got mine which told me I had a net deficit of 6,500 cals and lost 1.8lbs - so pretty much exactly on target. This accuracy has been pretty consistent the last 2 1/2 weeks. I have a pretty big deficit because I'm just starting and have plenty of excess fat to mobilize but I gross around 2,000 cals/day, which feels doable. There are days I go to 2,500 and others I only get to 1,700 but I have a real time handle on what I'm doing. This weekend I went out of town and one day I ate 3,900 cals and it was so easy to do - some normal meals, a king size candy bar and a bunch of heavy beers. It's easy to see how I gained so much weight. But it's relatively easy to shift some things around to start losing without starving myself.

The Fitbit will go a long ways towards giving you much more concrete info and allowing you to adjust from there.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

I log bike rides and strength training sessions manually. Just to be clear, I manually log in Fitbit so it shows up on the reports correctly. The Fitbit doesn't make you burn calories, it reminds you to get up off your bum and do something to burn some calories o:)

• jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I got a FitBit Charge HR today :grin: I don't have it synced with MFP. The evening will be spent trying to figure what I should be logging where :relaxed:
  • heybales
    Options
    jennytree wrote: »
    I got a FitBit Charge HR today :grin: I don't have it synced with MFP. The evening will be spent trying to figure what I should be logging where :relaxed:

Exercise on Fitbit, but now only lifting needs to be done.
    Eating stuff on MFP.
  • jennytree
    Options
    Quick update on 6 days on FitBit :smile:

So far, my average TDEE is 2226 a day. So, not far off what other charts and sites suggested for me. My net average food intake was 1,671 for the week.

I've also changed my main meal of the day to lunchtime. Realised I got into a really bad habit of eating about 2/3rd of my food from dinner onwards. I think I wanted to save some if I got a craving, but this isn't very practical. No point having all this food and energy when I'm going to bed :tired_face: so I'm hoping that'll impact my training.

This week, I will be mostly eating :lol:
  • jennytree
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've stayed at a constant 183.7lbs (to be precise :lol: ) over the last 2 weeks. I have a whole week of Fitbit now and increased my intake since Monday.

Sept 17th - 23rd

Average cals in = 2,149
    Average cals out = 2,283
  • jennytree
    Options
    One thing I've really noticed over the last 2-3 months is that my hair and nails have never been longer or stronger! I never had strong enough hair to keep it longer than chin length, and my nails don't split or break easily anymore :sunglasses:

Anywho, t'was TOM so weight was up 3lbs but:

Sept 24th - 30th

Average cals in = 2,223
    Average cals out = 2,270

I think this is the first time I've truly eaten at my TDEE for a whole week.

I'm still in doubt as to when to start doing a cut too. Today I feel like I'm ready, but that could all change tomorrow :neutral:
  • heybales
    Options
    Isn't it interesting how the body will adapt to use less energy. Imagine all the functions that don't have a visible component that also probably slowed down.
    And we haven't even gotten in to winter to experience that yet.

Most people mistakenly believe it's the lack of a few lbs of fat spread around their body that causes them to feel so much colder that they have to wear extra clothes.
    They have no idea.
  • jennytree
    Options
    Starting a cut today :smile: My weight has stayed the same throughout September. Going from 2,200 to 1,800 a day (a nice round number :relaxed: ) so I'll see how I get on this week. I have most my food already cooked and my workouts are planned and booked in.

Hopefully this is the right thing to do. It's been a few months since I started eating more so I'm hoping I've waited long enough!
  • heybales
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You got over 80 lbs to lose for a 20% deficit to be reasonable?

A better rounding direction for getting even number would be 30 more to 1900. Not 70 less to 1800.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Go for it Jenny. Awaiting your good results. :)
  • jennytree
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    You got over 80 lbs to lose for a 20% deficit to be reasonable?

A better rounding direction for getting even number would be 30 more to 1900. Not 70 less to 1800.

What I've done is set my FitBit food plan to "lose 1 lb per week" so this gives me different cals to eat every day. It's my daily calorie burn -500. E.g. yesterday I burned 2,579 and fitbit told me to eat 2,106. I've set MFP to 1,800 but that would be the bare minimum I'd eat. I'm guessing this is a better way of doing things? If I ate at 1,800 every day, and I burned nearly 1,000 more that day I'd be shattered!
    Go for it Jenny. Awaiting your good results. :)

Thank you! Fingers crossed! I'm hoping to see some results come the end of the month.
  • heybales
    Options
    So some days you'll have 25-30% deficit (since 500 is set amount, your TDEE changes though).

At least having bare minimum is better.

Well, just have to see how body responds. If it doesn't like it and adjusts back down again, just have to take some time bringing it back up again.
  • jennytree
    Options
    So, week 1 of cut: 3rd - 10th Oct

Average calories consumed: 1,735
    Average calories burned: 2,700

Loss = 1.9 lbs

Delighted with myself on Saturday morning. Didn't eat enough last week, so hadn't intended in losing so much in week one. My daily average intake needs to be higher.

And then, the weekend happened and I didn't stop eating sugar. Nothing I can do about it now only pick up where I left off on Friday, but I feel like such a feckin' eejit :'(
  • jennytree
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Week 2 of cut: 10th - 16th Oct

As above, I went feckin mental eating on the 10th and 11th, weight went up to 185 by Monday morning but back to 182 by Friday, 16th :| Kept the cals lower for the rest of the week - not really on purpose, but I wasn't at home to eat.

Average calories consumed: 1,773
    Average calories burned: 2,293

Same *kitten* this weekend - overate on Saturday and yesterday. Damage control for the rest of the week :(
  • jennytree
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Week 3: 17th - 23rd Oct

Average calories consumed: 1,894
    Average calories burned: 2,213

Weight: 182lbs

Did much better foodwise last week - weight stayed the same at 182 but I felt quite 'lean'. Also, my hips have gotten slightly bigger. Like my booty needs to get bigger :D

I'm on holidays from work this week, and I feel a million times better. I've been really relaxed, eating and sleeping well, so fingers crossed for Saturday :smile:
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great job! I think feeling leaner is what matters! So your weight is holding steady??? I also went up an inch on my hips, I don't mind as long as it means booty is lifting or growing :)
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    This has been a helpful thread for a newbie to read. Please keep us updated!