Clean eating challenge

Options
has anyone joined the 10 day challenge? I am not seeing much support on the or discussion.

Replies

• possummagicwilkes
    Options
    There is no support. But I am sticking to it. Survived Day 1, but sadly did not lose any weight
  • swandive6
    swandive6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also "thought" I joined the group, but nothing seen going on with group efforts, like I was hoping for. (suggestions, recipes, prep tips)
  • lklyprince
    lklyprince Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Exactly what does the 10 day challenge consist of ???
  • possummagicwilkes
    Options
    I think is means we have to eat unprocessed foods. No chemicals, preservatives, colourings etc! Shame the have not sent us guidelines
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I think is means we have to eat unprocessed foods. No chemicals, preservatives, colourings etc! Shame the have not sent us guidelines

I think maybe the challenge is a bit like " clean " eating itself....utterly undefined.
    We would have to get back and ask what clean eating is, come to an agreement, so " they " ( who ever they are ) could publish some guidelines.
    Thinking of it, I prefer to do my own thing eating all home cooked meals of whole seasonal & local foods. This regimen has helped me lose 65 plus pounds and I am continuing to stick to it.
    I would enjoy participating in a challenge and also do my part in it in terms of support and sharing things, but can't see it happening....honestly, because there are too many different opinions with many varied expectations.

BTW: I just read yesterday in US public radio internet edition that they discovered that during " paleo " times ( about 32 000 years ago ) people not only ate oats and wheat, but they ground it into flour and cooked it. The grains were found on a grindstone and it was proven that there were different kinds of wild grain stuck to it. Very interesting...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/09/14/440292003/paleo-people-were-making-flour-32-000-years-ago

• MattiesZia
    MattiesZia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @Ang108 I also found out that the Paleo thing is upturning a bit with the news about wheat and grain being a true thing.. congrats on your 65+ can you share your success?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    MattiesZia wrote: »
    @Ang108 I also found out that the Paleo thing is upturning a bit with the news about wheat and grain being a true thing.. congrats on your 65+ can you share your success?

Thanks, but honestly, there is nothing to share. I did not do or do anything special. I eat 1200 calories a day, walk a minimum of 30 minutes and more whenever I can ( this is health related as I am recovering from two heart attacks and a cardiac arrest ), because I still have bad days and am exhausted after half an hour walk. I log and that's it. I also walk twice a day with my dog, but don't count that as exercise, but figure it into an improved lifestyle.
    I have in two years never had a real cheat meal, much less a cheat day,because if I want to eat something, I make it work, stayed for holidays within maintenance calories, but otherwise make no special effort. I do however eat an almost 100% whole food, home cooked diet and have so for all my life, also when I was fat. I just ate too much. I have not had a fast food burger in 25 years and never in my almost 70 years have had take-out pizza, but I did overeat on other things, which means that eating healthy is not the reason for my weight loss, but eating less is.

I also have no thyroid, due to cancer and have active Lupus and childhoods RA. I take large doses of cortisone each day, plus thyroid meds and other things ( like four different kinds of heart meds ) and also get cortisone through IV once a month. I made/make sure that my meds are well adjusted and and once I realized that my maintenance for my age and height was only a bit over 1400 calories a day, I knew that 1200 was a small deficit and that I really needed to stick to that amount to lose any weight at all, because I really have no margin for any error. The 65 pounds were lost pretty much half a pound or less at a time.
    Many people who have autoimmune diseases are not ready for the more strict discipline weight loss requires under those circumstances.
    I did not deprive myself , but also learned to accept that special occasions were really just a handful ( well, both hands..lol) of days a year, that there is no reason to have " treats " and dessert almost every day and I do fine. My diary is always open.
    These days I have at least one day a week ( usually on the weekend) when I don't log, because I do volunteer work in an area in the country without internet access and by the time I get home at around midnight, I am too pooped to log.
    I also , after believing for over 50 years that " breakfast is the most important meal of the day ", ditched breakfast in favor of 18:6 ( give or take an hour ) IF every day and do 1-2 5:2 days a week. I am a volume eater and prefer two 600 calories meals over three 400 calorie once.
    Last week I had to eat 1600 calories for medical reasons for a couple of days and it was hard to get them into seven hours. I feel better being back to my usual routine.