Hello (new to group)

Options
Hello everyone. I just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Denise, I have 4 children one of which is 6.5 weeks old. For as long as I can remember I have been overweight, while I was in nursing school I did a low carb diet and lost quite a bit of weight but life happened and I did not pay attention to what I was doing and gained it plus more back. A lot of my problem was depression that I hid from the world and in turn ate my way through it. A few years ago I tried the standard low calorie, increase exercise diet and lost about 30 pounds but never could get over that hump, I would gain and lose the same 30 pounds over and over. This time last year I decided to try it again, soon after my husband and I decided to try for another baby and were blessed with our son (he is our only child together, I have one from a previous marriage and he has two from a previous marriage). The past 6 weeks that I was out of work I toyed with many different plans for weight loss and had even seriously considered surgery but finally decided on a low carb lifestyle. Fact is diabetes runs on my dad's side of the family and I know making these changes now can prevent me from getting it. I am also hoping that me making this change will encourage my husband as well because, like me, diabetes runs in his family. Today is the first day of my new diet plan...I have not decided if there is a particular "plan" that I want to follow because I really haven't researched all of the different ones so for now I am keeping my carbs to around 60 a day. Basically I am cutting out all sugar, bread, starchy veggies such as potatoes, and grains. My diet will consist of meat, veggies, and a few fruits (really to help control my huge sweet tooth). I am looking for some new friends with similar goals to help with supporting one another and am open to any advice.

Thanks!
:)

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I started much the same way as you. My baby boy just turned 1 last week, and I started low carb when he was almost 6 months old and I realized I couldn't really blame it on "baby weight" anymore. :tongue: I, too, began by simply eliminating sweets and starches. Best of luck--you're in the right place. :)
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oooops I replied to the wrong post. Sorry
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oooops I replied to the wrong post. Sorry.
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm been taking baby weight off for 12 years now lol. You'll get lots of helpful advice on here! This is a great group of people.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to our little peaceful family
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Indeed welcome! Feel free to add me.
  • karlaweymier
    karlaweymier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise,
    My baby turned 17 in May, since then I have lost 50 pounds and am working on the next 50. I gained as my "baby" did until I had more than her body weight to drop.
    Watch the fruits - they seem like a great way to keep the sweet tooth in check, but depending on the amount of sugars, they may keep you craving sugars.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome @clayswife13! Congrats on the new baby, how exciting!

I have a 14-month-old, and started down the low carb path back in May when he was 10 months old. I was a little wary about going too low too fast and having it impact my milk supply, but it didn't. I don't know whether that would have been the case had I done it when he was younger and exclusively breastfeeding. Just something to consider if you're breastfeeding your infant.

Great to have you here. The "start here" thread is chock full of resources for learning about the LCHF or Keto way of eating, and the science behind it.

I've lost about 35-40 lbs since May, and am slowly working on losing the last 10. Tracking my food and exercise on MFP and connecting with the friendly, helpful folks on the LCD forum have made this my most successful weight loss effort. I have no reason to think I can't keep this up indefinitely. My fitness level is probably the best it's ever been, too.

There's a diversity of people and viewpoints on this board, and an atmosphere of respect, that is hard to find elsewhere.

Wishing you the best in attaining and maintaining great health!

Mary
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome Denise!!! You've come to the right group!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    HA! Talking about losing baby weight. I literally weighed exactly 200 pounds at 9 months pregnant, in labor, checking into the hospital having my daughter - almost 15 years ago. I'm FINALLY back down to 245, after having a highest medically recorded weight of 319. Btw, I'm 5'4" and 39 years old.

I, too, was considering WLS when I stumbled back into MFP and had minimal success - then hit that same brick wall and stalled.

Then through some other trials, diagnosis, friends, etc., I learned a new bag of tricks and a bunch of other information -and I'm finally here. My body likes eating this way, even if I keep having to beat my brain/cravings into submission...

Hugs, and welcome!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome to the group, and congrats on your new bundle of joy! I too have battled with my weight my whole life and have found that a low carb life style works best for me....feel free to add me!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just joined the group and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Denise, I have 4 children one of which is 6.5 weeks old. For as long as I can remember I have been overweight, while I was in nursing school I did a low carb diet and lost quite a bit of weight but life happened and I did not pay attention to what I was doing and gained it plus more back. A lot of my problem was depression that I hid from the world and in turn ate my way through it. A few years ago I tried the standard low calorie, increase exercise diet and lost about 30 pounds but never could get over that hump, I would gain and lose the same 30 pounds over and over. This time last year I decided to try it again, soon after my husband and I decided to try for another baby and were blessed with our son (he is our only child together, I have one from a previous marriage and he has two from a previous marriage). The past 6 weeks that I was out of work I toyed with many different plans for weight loss and had even seriously considered surgery but finally decided on a low carb lifestyle. Fact is diabetes runs on my dad's side of the family and I know making these changes now can prevent me from getting it. I am also hoping that me making this change will encourage my husband as well because, like me, diabetes runs in his family. Today is the first day of my new diet plan...I have not decided if there is a particular "plan" that I want to follow because I really haven't researched all of the different ones so for now I am keeping my carbs to around 60 a day. Basically I am cutting out all sugar, bread, starchy veggies such as potatoes, and grains. My diet will consist of meat, veggies, and a few fruits (really to help control my huge sweet tooth). I am looking for some new friends with similar goals to help with supporting one another and am open to any advice.

Thanks!
    :)

Welcome to the group Denise,

Diabetes is in my whole family too. We are all morbidly obese. I found the Ketogenic way of eating about a year ago, and it has literally saved my life.

There are dozens of people on this group that will help you. They are all a God-send to me.

Ask anything you want...

There's too much for me to discuss right here right now, but I save previous posts and have several blogs to help you on your journey (see below my signature).

I highly recommend that you take the leap and go Keto instead of low carb, then once you reach maintenance, add back the fruits.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP