Pinch Me Please!

Options
KenSmith108
KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
I want to make sure it wasn't a dream.
I had the best gravy in my life last night.
REAL gravy on a diet. :)
None of that canned s...tuff
Real gravy!
My sweetie made pot roast with carrots, onions, celery & garlic.
She made a roux with almond flour & butter.
Whisked it into the broth, cooked it down some.
The best gravy I ever had.
My bg# approved too.

>:) OR o:)

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yum! I just had chicken with gravy. Take the chicken juice and mix in 1 tsp xanthan gum mixed with 2 tbsp water (made into a paste). Thickens up the gravy nicely
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :) I'd say that is a great BG NSV, and just in time for the holiday season!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Nice tips. Thank you.
  • knackeredat34
    knackeredat34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea, i need some gravy in my life, roast chicken and cabbage is not the same without gravy.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ken, I love how you and Sweetie enjoy this "diet" ;)
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    I've been with my sweetie for 42 years now & still on our Honeymoon.

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I've been with my sweetie for 42 years now & still on our Honeymoon.

That is inspiring

A message of hope!!

I hope to be right there with my gf one of these days!

Congrats and wishes for many more years of loving happiness
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I cheat with gravy. I use Xantham gum, but I don't like the consistancy, so I use 1tbls of flour. I usually end up eating about 1/4th of the gravy, so about 1/4 tbls of flour. I can live with that.
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    I have to admit that I cheat with gravy. I use Xantham gum, but I don't like the consistancy, so I use 1tbls of flour. I usually end up eating about 1/4th of the gravy, so about 1/4 tbls of flour. I can live with that.

She used a 1/4cup amond flour. Split between us, 3 carbs each. Worth every one of them. :)

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I use a bit of quinoa flour with a bit of arrowroot to thicken gravy, not much though. I like the consistency. I also reduce some of the liquid in order to concentrate flavours and minimize the use of thickeners.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've never been good at making gravy. But I may give it another try. I love it on a fried egg!
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I rarely have gravy, but it is always the bad kind

I need to learn how to make the good kind
  • KenSmith108
    Options
    I rarely have gravy, but it is always the bad kind

I need to learn how to make the good kind

Check out my diary for last Sunday dinner, it has all the ingredients listed.
    I learned a long time ago, stay out of the kitchen when the boss is working.
    At best she would let me be her sous chef on big holiday meals.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I could eat gravy on EVERYTHING. One of the foods I miss so badly is mashed taters with a ton of butter and gravy. Mmmm.
  • LindaSmith108
    LindaSmith108 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've never been good at making gravy. But I may give it another try. I love it on a fried egg!

Its really easy. Even when I made gravy before it was always lumpy. I tried taking 1/4 cup butter and mushed 1/4 cup almond flour into it until they are well mixed. I had braised the pot roast and veggies in one can of beef broth and about 1/2 a can of water. When they were done I took them out of the pan and dropped little pieces of the butter mixture into the boiling broth while I whisked it. Make sure the piece of butter mixture is well combined with the boiling broth before you add the next piece then there won't be any lumps. The almond flour gave it a slightly different taste but we liked it. It also has a little of a gritty texture but not too bad. I used a finely ground almond flour. :)
  • DebraWilliams1
    DebraWilliams1 Posts: 61 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Speaking of the coming holidays, and now that we have gravy recipes, did you know that stuffing made with bread is a very modern idea? Stuffing used to be made with minced meats, usually a mixture of pork, veal and/or mutton, although other meats were also used when available, spices, and a binding agent. EGGS were used as the binding agent most of the time. Sometimes the eggs were added raw, but usually the eggs were hard boiled. And some cooks used the whole egg, while others only used the yolks. Spices often used were cloves, ginger, and saffron. The stuffing was quite a bit different from modern stuffing, but delicious. I know, because I made a "medieval" meal for a group of friends a few years ago, and made roast chicken with a bread-free stuffing. Anyway, the medieval type stuffing is very LC, so I'm throwing this out in case anyone wants to try experimenting with it before the holidays. If you're not into the medieval spices, you could try it with meat, eggs and modern spices, like sage and rosemary.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Speaking of the coming holidays, and now that we have gravy recipes, did you know that stuffing made with bread is a very modern idea? Stuffing used to be made with minced meats, usually a mixture of pork, veal and/or mutton, although other meats were also used when available, spices, and a binding agent. EGGS were used as the binding agent most of the time. Sometimes the eggs were added raw, but usually the eggs were hard boiled. And some cooks used the whole egg, while others only used the yolks. Spices often used were cloves, ginger, and saffron. The stuffing was quite a bit different from modern stuffing, but delicious. I know, because I made a "medieval" meal for a group of friends a few years ago, and made roast chicken with a bread-free stuffing. Anyway, the medieval type stuffing is very LC, so I'm throwing this out in case anyone wants to try experimenting with it before the holidays. If you're not into the medieval spices, you could try it with meat, eggs and modern spices, like sage and rosemary.

Great idea, I'll try that!

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    103 pounds down, 21 to go.
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog