Low Carb Protein Shake?

Options
kcrozell
kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
Does anyone have any recipes they would like to share?
Thanks for any suggestions!!

Replies

• RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The Protein Works do a diet whey that's sweetened with stevia.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I use isopure zero carb vanilla protein powder. its really pretty good. but when I ran out previously, someone on here suggested some other options. I used almond milk, hemp hearts, and peanut butter. it was delicious. it didn't have as much protein as the powder I use but really got me through in a pinch.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I use isopure zero carb vanilla protein powder. its really pretty good. but when I ran out previously, someone on here suggested some other options. I used almond milk, hemp hearts, and peanut butter. it was delicious. it didn't have as much protein as the powder I use but really got me through in a pinch.

Is this like hulled hemp seeds? I bought a tiny packet to try (1 oz, I think), but I wasn't sure how to use it, and I hadn't been bothered enough to look up options...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Is this like hulled hemp seeds? I bought a tiny packet to try (1 oz, I think), but I wasn't sure how to use it, and I hadn't been bothered enough to look up options...

yes it is the hulled hemp hearts/seeds. they are so good, I eat them plain sometimes but they are good on ice cream or yogurt or mixed in with a smoothie or protein shake. they have a really nice nutty flavor and soft but crunchy texture
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Awesome... Looking forward to trying them. My local WM just started carrying them...
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition

They have been what have used for almost 2 years

I sometimes workout harder than is good for me. One of those at bed and morning help recovery greatly

120 calories of almost pure protein

They make an Energy version preworkout too

• kcrozell
    Options
    Hemp hearts, huh? I will have to check those out. I picked up some powder over the weekend and some unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze and it's pretty good, but I always love having different options. Thanks!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    KC…there are a million protein powders with lots of additives, some are good quality, but all can be pricey…the cheaper= the more sugars and dyes in them.

Just Hemp..hulled hempseed is so much easier, and cheaper to buy.…besides the snacking raw as mentioned- or adding to any other foods, just grind them to a finer powder...and add to your almond milk.

6 tbl=1/3 Cup gives 20+ gr protein, and ALL of your daily Magnesium… I use 3 tbl in a shake--provides is 50% daily Mg..so I use it for that also..and hempseed has ALL essential Amino Acids so it equals meat in food value. Pumpkin seeds area also high in Mg. Chocolate raspberry, Orangesicle, carmel…adding flavors jazzes it up!

My favorite shake is adding spinach, some fine ground flaxseed and 1/4 c. raspberries. Kale is also popular to thicken the 'shake,' and sweeten to taste.

The purest hempseed protein powder is made by Warrior Force..see their site….$25. glass jar, top quality.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I make my own with the following ingredients. I stay away from pre-bought protein powders because a) the carb counts seem to be high, OR 2) they use artificial sweeteners which I try to avoid. This may have a higher carb count than some would want, but the "net carb" is 6 g. I don't get the "I want to eat the world" feeling after this like I do a lot of pre-mixed commercially available mixes.

- 1 Tbs Amazing Grass original (30 calories, 4 g carb, 2 g fiber)
    - 3 Tbs Hemp Protein Powder (varies by brand: mine Nutiva Organics, 90 calories, 9 g carb, 8 g fiber, 15 g protein)
    - 1 to 2 Tbs Unsweetened Raw Cacao Powder
    - 1 cup unsweetened flax milk + protein (Almond Breeze would work too)

Add this all to a blender bottle with a little crushed ice, shake & go :smile: .

Total breakdown for my shake if made w/ 1 cup Good Karma Flax Milk + Protein & 1 Tb cocoa powder=
    194 calories, 18 g carb, 12 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 23 g protein, & 8 g fat.

You can also use Whey Protein Isolate if you want it super low carb (whey protein has <1 g carb per serving). That takes the Total Carb down to less than 10g carb, 4 g fiber. I personally found that I can't use that product though, because it has a gut-binding aspect for me.

Editing to add: I don't have much of a "sweet tooth" anymore for the most part, so I don't add any sweeteners to this. You could totally drop in some stevia or whatever you wanted to taste.
  • inspirationstation
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    I make my own with the following ingredients. I stay away from pre-bought protein powders because a) the carb counts seem to be high, OR 2) they use artificial sweeteners which I try to avoid. This may have a higher carb count than some would want, but the "net carb" is 6 g. I don't get the "I want to eat the world" feeling after this like I do a lot of pre-mixed commercially available mixes.

- 1 Tbs Amazing Grass original (30 calories, 4 g carb, 2 g fiber)
    - 3 Tbs Hemp Protein Powder (varies by brand: mine Nutiva Organics, 90 calories, 9 g carb, 8 g fiber, 15 g protein)
    - 1 to 2 Tbs Unsweetened Raw Cacao Powder
    - 1 cup unsweetened flax milk + protein (Almond Breeze would work too)

Add this all to a blender bottle with a little crushed ice, shake & go :smile: .

Total breakdown for my shake if made w/ 1 cup Good Karma Flax Milk + Protein & 1 Tb cocoa powder=
    194 calories, 18 g carb, 12 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 23 g protein, & 8 g fat.

You can also use Whey Protein Isolate if you want it super low carb (whey protein has <1 g carb per serving). That takes the Total Carb down to less than 10g carb, 4 g fiber. I personally found that I can't use that product though, because it has a gut-binding aspect for me.

Editing to add: I don't have much of a "sweet tooth" anymore for the most part, so I don't add any sweeteners to this. You could totally drop in some stevia or whatever you wanted to taste.

I am a huge fan of Amazing Grass. Great product!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options

I am a huge fan of Amazing Grass. Great product!

Isn't it great? It took a couple times for me to get used to that slightly sweet/minty undertone it has, and I'm not a fan of it just mixed with water like the directions say, but it makes me feel literally Amazing. lol Both from the energy standpoint & the fact my gut loves the probiotics.
  • angievanhill
    angievanhill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Almond Joy smoothie..
    Almond milk
    Ice
    Chocolate truffle protein powder by syntrax nectar, 0 carbs
    2 tbsp coconut flakes.
    Blend.
  • kcrozell
    Options