why isnt my scale moving...only week 2! Too much dairy?? help!

Options
Hello,
I don't understand why my scale isn't moving, I exercise every day and stay +/- 50 carbs per day and last week I had a big loss...this week, barely anything. Could it be the cheese I have been eating?? Any help is welcome!!!!

Replies

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Can't see it

Are you eating too many calories?

Low carb does not void reasonable CICO consideration
  • fancyroberts
    fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my diary is open if you want to take a look!!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. It started moving again in week 3 but not as fast as week 1. Hang in there.
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    well that is what I was wondering...if it was because of a big loss last week! Not motivating though!! :neutral:
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My experience with any weight loss is that there is a big loss in the beginning (some people only the first week and others maybe the first month) usually it is the water weight you were carrying. According to your diary you are staying under calories so I doubt the amount of cheese you ate has anything to do with it. My suggestion is be sure you are adding everything, I know when I was doing this before I would have a bite of this and a bite of that and wouldn't add it....those bites add up. Also, are you measuring your food to be sure you are entering it correctly? I am just starting back and have to get a food scale so I am currently guesstimating mine but am trying to over estimate. Other than that just be patent, if you are following the plan it will come off....also, I seen a couple of days where you were under calories by 200-500+....personally I do not believe in all of the "starvation mode" hype but I do know that some people tend to lose more if they eat the calories they have and try to let the week average out to their allotted amount....hope this helps :smile:
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    I don't even know how many calories I should be eating. I just aim for under 50 carbs. any suggestions?
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Punch your data into the food log and it will tell you based on weight loss goals by the week

Gonna ball park guess it will be between 1800-2200 for a normally active male to drop a pound a week

Using a scale and food log is a great way to keep on track
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    mfp has suggestions but I found other sites were better. Something with weight, height, sex, age and activity level should give you a good idea.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above...go to your home page, click goals, and click view guided set up...enter in your information and go by that. I have googled several sites and every amount I get is pretty close to what this site gives me.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how many calories I should be eating. I just aim for under 50 carbs. any suggestions?

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Play around with that to get a general feel.

Its not uncommon to lose a lot of water weight immediately and then to not lose anything for a couple weeks as your body adjusts to a diet fueled by fat instead of one fueled by carbs.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Go with how you feel when the scale isn't moving as fast as you like. It will catch up and remember it's a terrible liar! Do not base all of you motivation on a number on the scale. Make sure you measure yourself too! Seeing the inches come off is a great motivator too, especially when the scale if being stubborn. No, it's not unusual to see this. Hang in there!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Play around with that to get a general feel.

Its not uncommon to lose a lot of water weight immediately and then to not lose anything for a couple weeks as your body adjusts to a diet fueled by fat instead of one fueled by carbs.

Completely agree. Frustrating as it may be, it's the norm.

As for the cheese, it could definitely be something to keep an eye on if you don't see any loos over the next few weeks but at this stage it is normal to have a big loss and then nothing for a week or even two.

In my case I had a big loss for the first week, 1 pound a week for about 6 weeks, then ate ate cheese and it completely stopped until I stopped eating dairy. I wasn't eating too too much of it (IMO) 2-3 oz a day. I cut down to every other day and that didn't help either. Now, I just don't do it and I noticeably started into a reliable 2lbs a week lost. (I am in ketosis though, not sure if that makes a difference).

I think patience is the name of the game here and yes, it is a great idea to find a "reliable" calculator and get a good handle on your calories. As @clayswife13 said, things can add up quickly and if you're ideal calories is 1800 and you're inadvertently topping 2500 a day... well, you're not likely to see the scale go anywhere. I don't count at all but I find with ketosis, my hunger (or lack of) is always a great guide. It's kinda hard to binge on meat if that's all you eat. Cheese on the other hand... mwhahahahah!
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    thanks guys! I will measure tonight, because I feel lighter...but the scale says different!!
    ...one day at a time!!!! :smile:
  • ElmerLourens
    ElmerLourens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rapid Loss, Plato, Moderate loss. Its what I found.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Let how you feel be your biggest motivator! :smiley: The scale will almost always let you down.
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    do you think club soda would be making me retain water? That is something I have been drinking lately.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Is that like ginger ale? I have not ever had club soda.
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    its carbonated water. but has 95 mg of sodium.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Wouldn't think so then.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I would tend to think it's the exercising making you retain water. Once you get fully adapted to fat burning it will release it, yet sometimes that can be gradual, or a big whoosh on the scale. But a slow moving scale is not unusual, but can be very depressing. Keep your chin up! You're doing the right things.