IF and LCHF combined, how has your experience been?

Options
2»

Replies

• MelodySmith511
    MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just started it a few days ago since I'm not hungry until lunch anyway. I have BPC W/butter & coconut oil for breakfast & do lunch & dinner between 1pm-8pm. I feel great & I think that between IF & giving up dairy, artificial sweeteners & diet soda this week, my clothes are looser! I will weigh eventually but I hate my scale, so loose clothing works for me & it seems I'm finally over my 5 week stall!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I still have this fear that if I don't take food to work I will be starving by 10:30 and I'll never make it til 12:30 when I get home. But that's carb eater thinking and I'm gradually getting over it. 3 of the last 5 days I've bought no food to work, just my coffee with butter and coconut oil and I've been fine when I get home. Even doing a few things like let the dog out, feed the fish, put on a load of washing before I have food.
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have not really noticed any difference. So far so good. I feel fine. My scale is broken, so I don't know if my weight has moved
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    My experience has been great so far. I typically eat 2 meals per day, breakfast and supper, but joined the July challenge so wanted to try some longer fasts while keto. I have been having BPC for breakfast and not eating daily until supper. 23 hr fast daily last work week, with extended fasts on the weekend, and I feel great. Just finished a 66 hr fast. My weight is down this week too.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am starting to combine LCHF with IF after reading Moseley's book. I have previously gone a few days on a naturally occuring 23 hours fast, just eating one main meal around 5 pm and it was quite OK but I have settled into my routine of a "bacon and eggs" style breakfast and substantial evening meal with little or no lunch. I just don't feel hungry so it's no big deal.

I watch some Butter Bob videos and he made the point that eating a lot of fat doesn't MAKE you thin so much as it creates the opportunity for you to use IF as part of a more healthy lifestyle because you are just not hungry. So it comes back to eating when you are hungry and not eating when you are not hungry.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural faster... I've never really eaten breakfast and I don't have my lunch until around 2pm, so I'm generally fasting for about 16 hours without even thinking about it. I find having an 8 hour feeding window to be a really easy and effective way for me to moderate my caloric intake. Eating high-carb (especially early in the day) used to leave me ravenous! But with LCHF my hunger is much less, thereby making IF much more sustainable... so in that way I think the two are very complimentary.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm in very slow fat loss and body recomposition now.

I don't really watch weight so much but go by body fat percentage.

I don't fast ever since I'm almost always sore somewhere on my body.

I get up sometimes in the middle of the night to have a protein shake

In the early days of this diet adventure I almost never ate breakfast. It made me hungry! And the 14 hours of not eating seemed to help reduce my glycogen levels.

If I wanted to take a break from body composition and just drop a few pounds in a month, the first thing I would do is skip breakfast again!

• Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I realize this was an older thread revived but I just stumbled on it. I just started 16-8 fasting this past Saturday. (this is day 6). I am mildly hungry skipping breakfast but really no more so than drinking BPC with protein powder and I'm saving about 350 calories to use later. My energy is fine especially considering i'm not sleeping well. My calories are down but unfortunately so is my protein. I eat at lunch and dinner and get full before I get enough protein in.
    I'll weigh on Monday to see if it makes any difference that way.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    @DittoDan - Do you always feel hungrier after your water fasts? Often? Sometimes? Rarely? :) Im just wondering whether this extra hunger is a given, or if you can reasonably expect to bank a few unused calories post-fast, on occasion. As it is, i wonder if you actually eat more calories on average when you fast, due to the increased hunger the following day? But then, does an increase in metabolism essentially take care of that?

Sooo many questions about fasting!

I need to make a blog about my experiences. I just have to find the time.

Yes, I am hungry, but the level of hunger is only slightly more than normal. In other words, I am less hungry than when I was a carboholic after 4 hours of not eating carbs. When I was a carboholic, I physically would salivate at the sight, smell or even talking about food. Not anymore, and not after a fast. Actually, if I keep busy doing things, I can extend my fast. I don't know about metabolism, I don't know how I would test that and anything I surmised would just be pure conjecture. There are too many variables in my life. Not hardly one day is the same with me. You give me a metabolism meter and I'll check myself... :)

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary
    92 pounds down, 32 to go.

About that blog I always promised, well, I did it a little better than that. I actually made a whole MFP discussion group for it.

If your interested, send me an MFP e-mail and I direct you to it.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    107 pounds down, 17 to go.

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Since I've started VLCHF (<70 net carbs a day) 3 weeks ago, I have quite worrying about when I eat. since I'm losing more weight and my net calories are lower than before when I was doing 15:9. I do occasionally skip breakfast though.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I love the versatility of this LCHF WOE. I do love fasting too, and have a long history of trying many different types of fasts, since way before I started eating LCHF and joined MFP a little over 6 months ago.

I used to eat 3 meals per day, but when I switched to keto from primal, I naturally morphed into needing to eat just breakfast and supper, no longer needing to eat lunch due to the higher fat content of my meals keeping me feel full. That lead to not needing to eat breakfast as long as I had BPC in the am. My usual pattern of eating is now to fast for 23 hours daily, then eat supper. On the weekends I will do a fast for 48-66 hours, but have also just completed my second Dan method water fast ...on a workday, which had scared me at first, but I now find this quite easy. Even with a ton of stress at work right now. The most amazing discovery is that I have found that I have not resorted to emotional eating to comfort myself during times of stress, like I used to do in the past.

I think that LCHF and IF work very well for me. I would recommend.
  • MrsMES10
    MrsMES10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF sort of on accident. Most mornings I only have coffee before lunch. I've never been much of a breakfast person! Mostly I just try to follow hunger signals and stay laid back about it. I watch macros more closely than the timing.