Need some encouragement to keep going...

Options
So I'm having a bad day. I've been at this for 9 weeks (stronglift 5x5, eating clean, a little bit of cardio). I've lost 14lbs and 5 inches from my waist, down from 235lbs to 221. Pretty decent I think. But today I want to quit. I've hit a brick wall. I can't 'see' any of my progress. In the past I've had a tendency to give up right about now. I've got at least 65-70lbs to lose. I need to shift my thinking from the scale, expecting fast results, to the long-term investment in my health. I feel like cr@p and want to eat a box of Samoas. Anyone else have days like this? How do you overcome the mental blocks?

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    bellis107 wrote: »
    So I'm having a bad day. I've been at this for 9 weeks (stronglift 5x5, eating clean, a little bit of cardio). I've lost 14lbs and 5 inches from my waist, down from 235lbs to 221. Pretty decent I think. But today I want to quit. I've hit a brick wall. I can't 'see' any of my progress. In the past I've had a tendency to give up right about now. I've got at least 65-70lbs to lose. I need to shift my thinking from the scale, expecting fast results, to the long-term investment in my health. I feel like cr@p and want to eat a box of Samoas. Anyone else have days like this? How do you overcome the mental blocks?

Most of us want to quit pretty regularly. The trick is to just get back to our programs. You have lost weight and inches, that is a HUGE victory.

I try to work on some other project, clean the closet out, weed the garden, look for good workout videos on youtube to try, something that doesn't involve food when I start to think like that.

Break that large number down to one you can deal with, aim to lose one lb in x amount of days or up your weights again. Something you can do and feel good about, just enjoy the ride, where you are. The journey is a long one, you can't keep focusing on how much you haven't done, look closely at what you have accomplished.

You can give up today, regain those pounds in a few months and be right back where you are now and all you will have done is lost that time.

You could have chosen to make progress, but if you give up, you won't. Choice is a b*tch isn't it :)

You can do this!

• bellis107
    bellis107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you @retirehappy ! I think I'm pms'ing too. >:) Good thing there are no samoas in the house! lol. I had a Kind bar and a protein shake then went to the gym and cranked out a pretty decent work-out (after sitting in my car crying in the parking lot for a few minutes).
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like giving up I go something different. To switch up my regime I went swimming a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Also, if I feel like I am at a stalemate I just do one thing differently, like try a new workout or swap something in my meal such as swap mayo with natural yogurt. Well done on going for your workout and you know you can do it.
  • shilton01
    shilton01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Know you are not alone. We ALL want to give up from time to time and sometimes we actually do. Hang in there - know you have support and online friends. YOU CAN DO THIS! You are taking control of your life.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're definitely not alone. Good for you taking it to the gym!! Go try on some clothes that were too tight when you started. We all have those days, "fat" days I call them. Just hang in there, keep working and you'll have a good day soon. You've done great, btw!
  • ZB1110
    ZB1110 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dont focus on the weight loss, focus on how much weight you can lift, or how many miles you can run or walk or whatever you like to do. Set a goal this week that has a focus on that and just focus on that and not the pounds. It can help get you past the fat days and once you accomplish one success it begets more success. Plus this really is what keeps us motivated year after year, not the pounds.
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am new to this group, but not new to weight loss/weightlifting. I was just talking with some old timers at my gym about this exact subject. What they all suggested was when hitting a plateau, is to switch up what you're doing. If you usually lift weights, switch to swimming or spinning or hiking or taking some exercise classes. Also, reevaluate your diet. Take off 200 calories for a week. Maybe add 200 calories. Maybe play with your macros. Their point was to do something else; your brain/body is getting bored.

Good luck! I know the feeling. Keep the unhealthy foods OUT of the house at times of weakness!!! (Mine are jellybeans and breakfast cereal.) :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would add that you can probably eat one or two Samoas and fit it in for the day. Obviously, a diet of all junk food all the time is not healthful, but there's no real reason to stress about "eating clean," whatever that may mean to you. If you allow yourself an occasional treat, you'll probably find that the cravings die down. (But maybe not--PMS is a powerful thing!) It sounds like you're doing really well, in any case.
  • JLO1985SC
    JLO1985SC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm the world's worst at getting discouraged when I think progress isn't happening fast enough. What really has helped me this year has been focusing on improving my health and remembering that a small slip-up doesn't mean I should abandon the whole "plan." PMS makes everything 4 times as hard!!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Heh. Lost my initial pounds and have been at maintenance weight for years. I still try to lose more, but can't get beyond this set point no matter what I do it seems. But hey, you keep lifting and getting stronger, and it still feels good, whatever the body weight is doing. I measure my progress in how many pounds I'm lifting these days, and whether or not I can yell at the guys in the gym for stealing "my" level of weights again...

It feels pretty good at 56 to see you're lifting more than the high school boys. Keep going, no matter what the scale says!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Heh. Lost my initial pounds and have been at maintenance weight for years. I still try to lose more, but can't get beyond this set point no matter what I do it seems. But hey, you keep lifting and getting stronger, and it still feels good, whatever the body weight is doing. I measure my progress in how many pounds I'm lifting these days, and whether or not I can yell at the guys in the gym for stealing "my" level of weights again...

It feels pretty good at 56 to see you're lifting more than the high school boys. Keep going, no matter what the scale says!!

<3<3<3

• sweetmandygreeneyez
    Options

<3<3<3

I love watching the boys pace around the equipment when I'm occupying the rack. I'm the only girl that really lifts at my tiny gym and try not to hog the equipment but a girls got iron to pump! Sorry fellas!