First sucessful week of low carbing....I think? Support/advice needed.

Options
Nettabee
Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
It's been about 2 years since I last tried low carb and well about 2 weeks ago, something in me decided I would give this another go. I thought if by modifying/tweeking Dr Westman's "new atkins" program if I could do a little better than previous attempts. I started on 9/15/2015 so I'm a day shy of completing my first week. Previously I only lasted the first 3 days so that in itself is a big deal to me. Also unlike previous attempts, throughout the past week I've had no cravings for sweets, salty snacks, or the carb heavy foods I eat so often. THAT in and of itself is very surprising to me.

I want to keep going since I am losing weight and fill like this could be very sucessful in the long run!

I am however struggling with the mental and physical fog I've been in. My blood pressure is higher than it's ever been and I've been having chest pains on and off for a few days. I work in a doctor's office as well as an influential low carb physician, so I know that if something was terribly wrong they would send me the ED without hesitation. So i'm just hoping I can find some new like minded people to share their first few weeks experiences with me and help put my mind at ease. I don't need to stress about not feeling good on top of already not feeling good lol....

Replies

• E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Nettabee,

Although I did not have the same reaction, when I started 12 weeks ago. I highly recommend resting on the weekends. VLCD is worth it. I have lost 40 + pounds.

Eileen
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Drink enough water.
    And...
    Get enough electrolytes. More sodium (drink salty broth), potassium (get some potassium salt like NuSalt to put in your broth and to season your food), and eat foods rich in magnesium or supplement. Salt>potassium>magnesium. I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the chest pains and the higher BP. And some fatigue and fog as well. Those were the symptoms I experienced. That should help improve some of your symptoms.

3,000-5,000 mg of sodium (until you become adapted at around 4-6 weeks), and do the best you can on the other two. Nobody gets enough of those. Try to shoot for as high as you can on the potassium (1,000-2,000- but honestly I never reach that either, but I try) and 300-400mg of magnesium. My recs. Other people may throw different numbers at you. But I think these are pretty good goals to try to hit.

Also, another general tip:
    • Don't exceed your carb level.
    • Hit enough protein.
    • Fill the rest with fat. Don't be afraid of fat. Without it, food is dull, and you'll feel like crap.
    • Use a keto calc, google "keto calc ankerl" to check your macro grams and that will help you know you are on the right track.

HTH.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The "fog" is what they call "keto flu" and will be temporary. The heart stuff you need to watch closely and talk to your doctor if it doesn't clear up like, tomorrow.
  • Nettabee
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!

I've definitely up'd my water since last Monday know this way of eating can make you dehydrated. I carry a gallon jug of water with me everyday and drink well over half per day. I try to eat lots of leafy greens like spinach cabbage and collards cooked and uncooked. Because I have several immediate family members with high blood pressure I'm very weary of too much sodium, but in the past week i've ranged from 3000 to 6000mg. That's VERY scary to me! But I don't know how to cut back.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Drink enough water.
    And...
    Get enough electrolytes. More sodium (drink salty broth), potassium (get some potassium salt like NuSalt to put in your broth and to season your food), and eat foods rich in magnesium or supplement. Salt>potassium>magnesium. I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the chest pains and the higher BP. And some fatigue and fog as well. Those were the symptoms I experienced. That should help improve some of your symptoms.

3,000-5,000 mg of sodium (until you become adapted at around 4-6 weeks), and do the best you can on the other two. Nobody gets enough of those. Try to shoot for as high as you can on the potassium (1,000-2,000- but honestly I never reach that either, but I try) and 300-400mg of magnesium. My recs. Other people may throw different numbers at you. But I think these are pretty good goals to try to hit.

• Hit enough protein.
    • Fill the rest with fat. Don't be afraid of fat. Without it, food is dull, and you'll feel like crap.
    • Use a keto calc, google "keto calc ankerl" to check your macro grams and that will help you know you are on the right track.

HTH.

I second this.
    We often see things like "I'm wary of too much salt" from those that have "Keto flu" and it can be totally avoided. You are losing a lot of salt with the initial water loss. And if you're drinking a lot of water the remaining salt in your system is going to be quite diluted. The body needs a balance of water and salt.
    Definitely drink done broth and maybe have some pickles or olives if you like those. Any days that sodium is at the lower end of your 3000-6000 range are probably not sufficient. You will be able to reduce it back down some once you get adapted.
    Keep in mind also, if you start to struggle as these next couple weeks come, many people don't reduce calories while adapting. Sometimes the combination of diet change and reduced calories is just too much at once. Just something to keep in mind, may not be an issue for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything @baconslave wrote too.

That fog will lift if you up your sodium. I add a tsp of salt to my water most mornings just to keep my electrolytes up. It made a big difference in my fatigue, crankiness and headaches.

Now I've hit the point where my cognive function has improved so much it is almost disturbing. ;)

Hang in there. I bet you are most of the way through the keto-flu now. :)
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nettabee wrote: »
    Thank you for the tips!

I've definitely up'd my water since last Monday know this way of eating can make you dehydrated. I carry a gallon jug of water with me everyday and drink well over half per day. I try to eat lots of leafy greens like spinach cabbage and collards cooked and uncooked. Because I have several immediate family members with high blood pressure I'm very weary of too much sodium, but in the past week i've ranged from 3000 to 6000mg. That's VERY scary to me! But I don't know how to cut back.

@Nettabee I am a RN and that much sodium freaked me out at first as well, what you have to remember is while you body is going through the transition phase it is "dumping" salt, on top of the breakdown in your body dumping water the more water you drink the more salt is being "dumped". I have been going through that "fog" as well and been so sleepy it has been hard to even drive, after reading everyone's comments on this in past posts I take it that it is temporary and am making changes with my electrolytes and continuing on!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Drink enough water.
    And...

• Hit enough protein.

HTH.

A thousand times this. If that is your problem week three will be much better, week four even better, by week six you might feel like a kid again.

But just to be absolutely a nag: You are keeping your medical co-workers informed daily of your symptoms, right? You should be. Just in case of an underlying condition. Nag nag nag!

• Nettabee
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Drink enough water.
    And...

• Hit enough protein.

HTH.

A thousand times this. If that is your problem week three will be much better, week four even better, by week six you might feel like a kid again.

But just to be absolutely a nag: You are keeping your medical co-workers informed daily of your symptoms, right? You should be. Just in case of an underlying condition. Nag nag nag!

Definitely. I had one of the LPN's check my blood pressure. It was high, but as the nurse manager put it, not "dangerously high".....whatever that counts for lol..... They told me to continue to get it checked but that it is just the dietary adjustment making me feel crappy.

I also have many people in the hospital system (I've worked for this health system for 7 years and my mother for over 20 years) that advise/support us on everything from allergies to cancer scares. So if something got too bothersome, or sounded too fishy, I have a good chance of being driven to the emergency department whether I liked it or not lol.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    Nettabee,

Although I did not have the same reaction, when I started 12 weeks ago. I highly recommend resting on the weekends. VLCD is worth it. I have lost 40 + pounds.

Eileen
    Do you mean like taking a nap or taking a break from the diet on the weekends?

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I second, and third, the opinions on sodium needs. It is scary at first, especially when b/p issues are a factor. Try not to be fearful. It's a serious adjustment to this woe that is vital. I used to avoid salt because of the edema and the negative contribution it made to my b/p. Now, I eat salt and have no problems with edema, or b/p. Don't forget the potassium too! It is flushed out with the sodium and needs some supplementation too. No-salt works well for this, as well as supplements available too. I hoped, in the back of my mind, that I would make it without any electrolyte issues. No luck there and I believe it's the same for everyone (just about anyway).

I'm glad you work with my medical professionals who can advise you and monitor closely any adverse effects that may need medical attention. I believe that would be comforting!