Reaction to Kombucha

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
This is the first Kombucha drink I've had since being on Kato. 8oz with 7gr carbs [2 sugar]

Within a few minutes - I got a slightly spinning head and a sweaty feeling [with no sweat] and 30 minutes later still have it. Last food I had was 4 hours ago.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Keto flu? Coincidence with the kombucha? Get your sodium and potassium!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I've never had that kind of reaction to Kombucha and sometimes drink it while fasting for up to 66 hrs. Maybe you should eat something? The most likely place you may notice a reaction from Kombucha might be in your digestion if you are not used to it, it might make you more regular with your bowel movements.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow. Did you get the serving size right?

I know sugars in liquids hit us faster, but wow.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    The only bad reaction I get from it
    is when I see the price tag. B)
    So never tried it.

>:) OR o:)
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Keto flu? Coincidence with the kombucha? Get your sodium and potassium!
    Interesting- I just picked up electrolyte powder this afternoon [probably has sodium and potassium] but haven't taken any yet.

• Bob314159
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

16 oz bottle - 8oz serving size- I think its almost the only thing I've had in three weeks that had sugar.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It's not a sugar reaction, it's a killing off of bad bacteria and detoxing reaction. I always recommend starting out slowly 2-4 oz a day max, until you get used to it. They recommend starting really slowly depending on how bad your gut health is. I'm sorry if I didn't mention that in my previous post. I have encountered that feeling a couple times.

Also even if you are drinking less, you can sip it slowly over the day...

I hope you feel better!
  • Bob314159
    Options
    I've had the same Kombucha on and off for a year with no reactions. I would have it twice a week, except its pricey and the only supplier near me is and hours walk there and back. It's the only "pickled" food I can stand the taste of. This was the first time I had it after starting Keto. I'll try again later this week.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I tried an experiment with probiotics. You can say I jumped in with both feet without a parachute. :)

I drank a bottle of this at lunch one time. Prob. over a period of 15 minutes. I did not feel good at all afterwards.

gze82e839gjw.png
    Kom.png 95.1K
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »
    I've had the same Kombucha on and off for a year with no reactions. I would have it twice a week, except its pricey and the only supplier near me is and hours walk there and back. It's the only "pickled" food I can stand the taste of. This was the first time I had it after starting Keto. I'll try again later this week.

Also, as with any higher carb foods, be sure to pair it when you are eating something higher in fats... It slows down the metabolism with it...
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Good idea - most meals and snacks I have added oil - in his case the drink was by itself
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Also, as with any higher carb foods, be sure to pair it when you are eating something higher in fats... It slows down the metabolism with it...

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I make my own kombucha - usually with home brewed ginger tea. It tastes a little like ginger ale. I rarely drink more than 1/4 cup at a time, and I've been making and drinking it for over a year. Most of the store bough varieties are pasteurized which kills the bacteria.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I make my own kombucha - usually with home brewed ginger tea. It tastes a little like ginger ale. I rarely drink more than 1/4 cup at a time, and I've been making and drinking it for over a year. Most of the store bough varieties are pasteurized which kills the bacteria.

GT Brand, which I drink, is raw and unfiltered, organic, etc.

I'm not a huge fan of their ginger flavor, but I've also been told Home Brew tastes far better AND has far higher good bacteria, etc.

Would you please share your specific recipe, @fastforlife1? I'm looking to get it as low carb as possible while still getting the best bang for my buck!