Three Weeks of EM2WL; Sharing for Anyone Who Might Be Interested

Options
OK, short background on me: I'm 6' 1", 44 years old, and male. Four years ago, I was at 276 pounds, and very little of that was lean muscle mass. I got aggressive about my weight loss, first with Weight Watchers, then MFP, currently MFP + Fitbit. I bottomed out a couple months ago at 189 pounds.

Losing 87 pounds is a pretty significant accomplishment, but I did it by gradually cutting more and more calories (or "points" during the Weight Watchers years). When I bottomed out, I was starting my day at 400 calories plus what I "earned" with my Fitbit. On a really active day, that would get me an extra 1,200 calories or so, for a total of 1,600. For a guy my size, that's not enough.

So, I came across this EM2WL group a while back, thought it sounded great, as I was SOOOO hungry all the time. I didn't exercise much, because I had no energy. I wasn't sleeping well because I went to bed hungry every night. I was grumpy a lot.

My first attempt to EM2WL didn't go well. I put on a few pounds instantly, panicked, and cut my calories way back down again. I was able to re-lose most of that weight pretty quickly, but was also right back to being hungry/tired/grumpy all the time.

So, three weeks ago, I started again. Scooby calculated my my BMR at 1,877, TDEE at 2,252. I went with a nice round 2,200 and continued to eat back what I "earned" with my Fitbit. (I feel like everything I read says Fitbit underestimates the burn, so I should be pretty safe eating back what it says.)

Once again, I gained a bunch of weight quickly, panicked, and really wanted to cut way back again, but I've forced myself to stick with it. Turns out, this is mentally even more challenging than it was for me to cut my calories so low in the first place. (Eating more on purpose while still worrying about weighing less? That can't be right!)

Anyway, I started at 190 on September 2, jumped to 198 on September 9, stayed at 198 on September 16, and another small jump to 201 today. So, 11 pounds in three weeks.

That sounds terrible, but back in my ultra-low calorie days, I would see 4–8 pounds gained EVERY WEEK when I added even 100 or 200 calories. So, to see these results when adding 1,800 calories is pretty encouraging. (I opted against a gradual increase, as that seemed to result in a frightening amount of weight gain.)

Now, is the hard part. Mentally, I'm pretty discouraged just because I crossed the 200 pound line again. Yes, the difference between 199 and 201 is only a couple pounds, but seeing that "2" on the scale again really hurts.

I re-calculated things today, since I'm 11 pounds heavier than when I started, and bumped my starting point up to 2,300. My goal is to find where my actual maintenance levels are, THEN cut a few calories to start seeing a consistent loss. Ideally, I will lose the rest of the weight very slowly but still be able to eat a decent amount of food.

These first few weeks have been fun... I've been able to eat whatever the heck I want. I've eaten a lot of crap that I couldn't before. I've also started feeling horrible afterwards, because my body doesn't know what to do with junk food anymore. (My extra calories have been mostly meat and heavily processed carbs.) So, I'm trying to re-focus my energy on eating well AND getting my full dose of calories.

So, yeah, there you have it. I'm not sure if I had a point when I started. I guess what I'm saying is that so far, I've added 1,800 calories and seen less weight gain then I did when I tried adding 200 calories. To me, that reinforces this whole EM2WL thing.

(I also read the updates from @MandaLeigh123 and found them to be helpful. Just added that for anyone else in a similar position to me; it's worth reading.)

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you are eating back calories when your TDEE counts them? It may be that you are actually over your TDEE if you are eating above it by eating back Fitbit calories as well as the TDEE calories.

BUT, I also want to remind you and others that very quick gain is always going to be mainly water weight. There may be a touch of fat, but not as much as you'd imagine.

And please join us at the forum: http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20, and start your own journal. Make sure you have read and re-read the starting guides: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you are eating back calories when your TDEE counts them? It may be that you are actually over your TDEE if you are eating above it by eating back Fitbit calories as well as the TDEE calories.

I agree. Your TDEE should already include your Fitbit calories.

• andymcclure
    andymcclure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My schedule is pretty erratic, with no formal exercise plan. As such, my activity level varies a LOT, so I compute my TDEE as sedentary. So, I view it as BMR is what I'd burn if I stayed in bed all day, TDEE (as computed here) is what I burn doing a normal day's minimal activities (all the little things we do all day that aren't really exercise, but burn more calories than just lying in bed.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That method doesn't really work well with Fitbit synced.

Besides - why guess amongst 5 rough levels of TDEE when Fitbit is giving you infinite daily values?

If you can adjust to eating different amounts daily - then keep Fitbit synced - just set MFP to Maintain no weight loss - and eat to your daily goal as shown, which includes the adjustments so you are eating what you burn.

But Sedentary TDEE from 5 level chart when you have that little girl is wrong, you are lightly active minimum.
    But again - don't waste time guessing - use the Fitbit.

Just correct it on Fitbit's site for things it won't estimate well - like lifting for any model.
  • andymcclure
    Options
    I'm not sure if I follow you, but I think that's more or less what I'm doing. I just started from the Scooby calc's numbers instead of MFP's. (I chose that, as pretty much everything I read on here refers to the Scooby calc, so I figured that would give me numbers more consistent with others on here.)

So, between MFP and the Scooby calculator, I found a reasonable baseline to start from, then add the activity from Fitbit to MFP to get the additional calories based on my activity level. Instead of letting Fitbit and MFP decide everything, I'm just tweaking the system a bit to find my personal maintenance level.

In essence, I'm doing exactly what Fitbit would do, just starting with a lower number that seems more accurate than Fitbit's initial estimates.

Or am I totally missing something?
  • heybales
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes - what you think is happening won't be.

If you have MFP set to incorrect Sedentary (which doesn't matter if syncing with Fitbit correctly) and it estimates you burn 2500 daily say.

You got your TDEE from Scooby as Sedentary (which is tad lower than MFP level) and manually set your eating goal to 2400.

Fitbit comes in and reports that you actually burned 3000 for this day, or during the day MFP figures it looks like you'll hit 3000 by the evening meal.

Fitbit daily burn 3000 - 2500 MFP daily burn estimate = 500 cal adjustment.

500 + 2400 eating goal = 2900 base eating goal.

Except in your case, I think the difference will be more extreme than just 100 calories.

But why estimate Sedentary TDEE from Scooby when MFP already has that setting.

Fitbit already underestimates daily burn - why not just set MFP to maintenance, and sync away?
    Because your BMR is no where near 600 daily. Unless you are missing several of your major metabolic organs that causes most of your calorie burn, or have wasted away all your muscle, except even that wouldn't be enough.

The Scooby calc is referenced when you are actually trying to estimate TDEE - which you aren't.
    Because you aren't including exercise in it - therefore not TDEE.
    In which case MFP was designed to do exactly what you are desiring - changing activity levels that makes it unrealistic to estimate a weekly amount. Therefore adjust daily based on what you really do.
  • andymcclure
    Options
    I'll give it a shot. I changed my settings to let Fibit and MFP do all the calculating, and it made a difference of 20 calories (to start).

I'll be curious to see if that changes what MFP/Fitbit estimate for my activity. If what you're saying is accurate, then I've been underestimating how "smart" the connection between Fitbit and MFP is. Up to this point, I've viewed the Fitbit as nothing more than a glorified pedometer. (Originally, I was more enticed by the sleep tracking features, which turned out to be pretty worthless for me.)

I guess it really comes down to how well Fitbit and MFP work together to come up with a reasonably accurate assessment of intake vs. burn.
  • heybales
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Fitbit underestimates because all non-moving time is given BMR level burn.
    So awake actually burns more - RMR level.
    Standing not moving burns even more.
    Digesting/processing food burns about 10% of calories eaten.
    All that is unaccounted for.

But moving time with lower HR is based on steps, which provides distance along with time. And pace and weight formulas for walking are the most accurate for your daily stuff. HR-based formulas aren't even valid for below aerobic exercise level, about 90 bpm.

Exercise level time depends on model.
    HR-based start adjusting for your specifics and get more accurate estimate of calorie burn when HR-based formula is valid use of it. Valid is cardio that is steady-state aerobic, same HR for 2-4 min. The farther you move away from that the more inflated it gets, but usually people spend less time doing it, so may not matter to many. Like lifting should be manually logged.
    Step-based need to have manually logged any workouts that are not step-based with normal impacts like walking/running/gym classes - so swimming obviously, rowing, stair climbers, elliptical, biking, lifting, ect.

So it's much more than pedometer merely counting steps and perhaps applying a fixed stride length to it to give you daily distance travelled.
    It uses seen hang time and impact from tri-axis accelerometer, compared to expected impact based on weight/avg stride length - it can adjust dynamically the current distance traveled pretty well.

As any tool, some extreme uses can make it not work as well - if life is full of such extremes - accuracy is off.
    Like medically induced lowered HR.
    Walking on crutches, obviously a wheelchair.
    Daily movements that appear as weak steps, though they rarely add up to much distance or calorie burn, even if the steps are high.

Of course for intake, that's merely accuracy of your logging all you eat by weight of food, volume of liquids.
    With MFP having the eating goal you follow, Fitbit having the eaten calories doesn't matter to the math on what it reports as daily burn.
    MFP adjusts it's daily burn to match, through the day attempting to estimate what it'll likely be.

Might read through this for some other tips, and 2nd half for fun with math if curious how it works together.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy
  • andymcclure
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Awesome, thanks so much for that info. That's by far the best explanation I've seen of how this all works together.

After one day (which is hardly a great sample, I know) it looks like my daily totals will come out just about the same as what I was getting before. But, this way I can let the computers do all the work and adjust to all the variations for me. This will provide a much lower risk of operator error on my part.
  • heybales
    Options
    And MFP will auto-adjust the daily burn estimate as you log lower weight.

At 10 lbs lost it'll ask to adjust the eating goal - say yes. That's about how much you have to lose for the calorie change to be significant.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Now that you've had your tutorial via heybales. :p
    Congrats on your accomplishments thus far!
  • izzy214
    izzy214 Posts: 551 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I have been trying to use the EM2WL website and weight loss calculator and its not so easy. The calculator did not work.
  • heybales
    Options
    izzy214 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have been trying to use the EM2WL website and weight loss calculator and its not so easy. The calculator did not work.

What's the link to the EM2WL weight loss calculator that you are using?
  • andymcclure
    Options
    Here's the Scooby calculator that seems to be very popular here on the forums. For whatever it's worth, I got nearly identical results using Scooby as I did letting MFP/Fitbit do everything automatically.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm thinking she may be talking about something else, as that's not an EM2WL site, and I don't believe EM2WL has a calculator, so curious as what she is using.
  • andymcclure
    Options
    Here's another question I have; and I haven't discovered a solid answer:

How do I avoid the endless cycle of cut calories>lose weight>plateau>cut calories>lose weight>plateau until I'm back to eating way below my minimums?

The best I can figure from what I've read is that every 8-12 weeks, I should go back up to maintenance level for a week, then return to deficit. But, I'm not seeing anything really solid out there on the subject. Thoughts?
  • andymcclure
    Options
    Also, there's this calculator at EM2WL: http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/

I think it's pretty much identical to the Scooby calculator I linked above.

@izzy214 can you clarify what it is you're confused about? I'll help if I can, but I suspect @heybales will have a better answer.
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh good, they do have one, I'd not seen it.

And it didn't work for me either - but then I again I know I have some blocking apps on my web browser that prevented it.

Since you can post in the forums now from mobile - it could be the calc doesn't work on mobile browser.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I tried their calculator on my pc, worked fine, using Win10, FF browser, with adblock add-in. I have decided to just use the Heybale's TDEE only spreadsheet instead of calculators, since Fitbit gives me good data, activity mins. etc. to use it effectively.
  • andymcclure
    Options
    Also, week 4, no change on the scale. This is amazing to me, as many evenings I find myself having an extra snack just to hit my calorie goal. Now that I'm focusing on eating better, it'll probably be even harder to hit that number. (It's easy if I just stop at the bakery, but I don't need an extra 1,500 calories of processed sugars!)

Anyway, it would seem that I'm leveling off a bit. If this olds, I'll try backing off a little to try to get my weight back down. Slow and steady wins the race, right?