Fat loss in menopause

Options
2»

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't worry about carbs much as long as I'm within calories. The loss is slow but it is happening. A lot of people see results with low carb, but I don't think it's necessary and for some people it's not recommended. I find my workouts are better if I stick with moderate carbs. If you're concerned, perhaps you could cut back gradually. I know I get stressed when I try to make an abrupt change.
  • majorfedfan
    majorfedfan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm turning 50 next month & have been struggling with perimenopause issues for several years, though still having regular periods, unfortunately. My biggest issue when it comes to weight loss (I've gained 10-15 lbs in the last few years) is that as soon as I get into the second half of my cycle I'm super hungry, cranky, and all willpower and motivation to stick with my calorie goals goes out the window. I'm at my highest weight ever now, though, so I have to do something. I play tennis three times a week plus try to get other exercise too, so it's eating not exercise that's the issue. I'm starting to use MyFitnessPal once again today, but thought maybe it would help to get some online support too.
  • lyhenry
    lyhenry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    majorfedfan, I can sympathize, I am in a similar place! It was hard to get serious with MyFitnessPal again, but after about a month of journaling, and several weeks of sticking with my budget, I'm having a much easier time keeping control during what is typically a strong PMS week. Who knows, it may be different next time, but maybe cutting down on the sugar/easy carbs for a few weeks to stay within budget is helping. I also finally splurged and got a Fitbit Surge, and absolutely love it. Having constant feedback about how many calories I'm burning (or not burning) during the day keeps me more mindful of what I'm eating. I was finally able to record a legitimate loss this week and I felt like I had actually earned it. It's a good feeling. Good luck on getting started!
  • majorfedfan
    majorfedfan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The first couple days are hard, but once I get through those I can be disciplined till the PMS hits. Hoping I can make myself stick with it longer this time. Congrats on getting some results yourself. Keep going!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    There are cookies in the break room and I sit here sipping on black coffee. It's a mindset for me. It's more important to take off this weight than to have the occasional treat. Sugar is a trigger for me.