Diagnosis

Options
Yesterday I was diagnosed with a binge eating disorder. While it didn't really come as a surprise or anything (I mean, I've had food issues for as long as I can remember), there's something about hearing someone tell you that to your face that is a little overwhelming. For the longest time I've just said that I had " some disordered eating issues," and yes, I know it's just semantics, but to say "I have an eating disorder" is kind of scary.

On the plus side, now that I have an official diagnosis I can start to get more targeted treatment; I'm going to start seeing a specialized therapist and also a dietician. I'm a little worried that the dietician is going to try to make me follow a diet that I don't want to follow. Mainly, I'm worried about the 'carb-thing.' What if I get someone who thinks low-carb is "wrong"? Or they can only agree with the government-recommended guidelines (which I disagree with)? I want to lose weight, obviously, but I also want to stop obsessing about it and just live my life (in a healthful way).

Anyway, I just wanted to share that.

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your diagnosis, I got mine this year also.

In regard to what other people think, you can't base your self-worth on the opinions of others. There is no need to question yourself because someone else has - I know it's hard. This helps me when I get into that thought pattern:

http://www.testandcalc.com/Self_Defeating_Beliefs/indexf2.asp

What makes you think their opinion is worth more than yours? I ask myself that when I feel nervous about voicing what I think or standing up for my ideals.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin---also a dietician. I'm a little worried that the dietician is going to try to make me follow a diet that I don't want to follow. What if I get someone who thinks low-carb is "wrong"? Or they can only agree with the government-recommended guidelines…….

Please be prepared to face all of this..BUT the night before re read Dietdoctor.com 16 points of LCHF dieting..you will find ALL conventional trained RDs will promote grains..they have NO OTHER frame of reference.

They will say LOW CARB is fine, but attack fats. If you say Mediterranian you will get far less argument,
    always say Healthy fats..never high.

In my case VVL protein, non-meat is proven safest. High fats are good for me, not bad! but the RD pushed 50 carbs per meal (600 calories) , and only 70 gr fats a day (630 calories) on 1500 calories and she thought was too high!!! but wanted me to "stick to it"….slowly they will ask me to reduce fats, I know it, they always do,

What you will hear is " some carbs are good, keep you from falling off the diet"…when we know carbs will leave you hungry every 4 hours when they deplete..so the RD will want you to eat carbs.

Worst is they will point to all the studies that PROVE high fat is not good long term. especially saturated fats,
    NONE of my "medical team" has read/trusted anything in the last decade, or they read these poor studies as truth.

EVERY study is based on 40-50% carbs BUT is TESTING the fats!!! .the BEST one to show the idiocy of this thinking is this one: ( I am a kidney patient..this diet was testing mainly FATS for kidney disease)

In this diet SATURATED fats are only 6.6%..while poly/mono are 25% of the BAD diet…. but saturated get all the blame…because they tested 50-60 carbs TOO-- you can't do that!!! The inflammation and problems come from the high carbs AND trans/poly fats. the other diet has a small fats % but 60% carbs…..

http://ajprenal.physiology.org/content/301/5/F919.long
    The Western-style diet: a major risk factor for impaired kidney function and chronic kidney disease

Good luck..sometimes it is best to just smile and say yes, and not try to educate them and challenge their 'expertise'
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Binge Eating Disorder only make the official list of diagnoses with the most recent iteration of the DSM (DSM-V)? I wonder how many people out there would have been diagnosed much earlier had it been an officially recognized diagnosis.

Anyway, I can understand both the finality and the hopefulness of having a diagnosis. Part of it is, "Oh crap, I really am screwed up, huh? Even the professionals think so," but the flip side is, "Hey, since this is an actual thing (finally), there must be people out here who know a bit about helping me through it. Yay!"

Best of everything in treatment and dealing with your dietitian. I'm so glad there are treatment options available, and I hope that you get exactly what you need. :blush:

ETA: Sorry for the weird italics. I'm apparently a dolt with computers. :disappointed:
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I would just smile and nod to the dietitian. At some point studies mean next to nothing, as a single person you're at that level. You are you, and you are great, and you do best on LC. Just don't tell them that :wink:
  • PumpkinRunning
    PumpkinRunning Posts: 35 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @Mami1976D Yes, BED just became recognized very recently. And thanks for the encouraging words. You're right; it's very much an "uh-oh, this is REAL" at the same time being like "hey, since this is REAL, I can get help" sort of feeling.

@minties82 Thanks for sharing the link, I think it's more like I don't want to be seen as resistant/fighting treatment by disagreeing with the dietician from the get-go.

@KETOGENICGURL Thanks for the tips on how to phrase things. Maybe if I can make it "sound" better, I won't get into too much trouble ;)

I think I just have to keep an open mind. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and find someone who is more willing to work with me based on what I want... I don't see the RD for another 2 weeks, so for now I'll just try not to let it worry me too much!

ETA: I just stumbled upon this blog: www.lowcarbdietitian.com that has some good info about talking to your RD about low-carb. Guess I've got some reading to do!
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Do some research. It isn't likely, but just maybe there is a dietician in your area who has room in his/her mindset for low carb for some people. Then request that dietician instead of whoever you are referred to if at all possible given insurance and budget issues.

I can't think what else you can do. The problem with going to see a dietician who knows you have BED is that everything you say will probably be countered with, 'that's your disorder talking' so it will even be hard to educate him/her away from the cult of heart healthy whole grains. Blech, what a situation to be in!
  • minties82
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I never had to see a dietician, and wouldn't even if referred by my GP. I have seen a couple for my daughter and the advice doesn't gel with my way of thinking - I was only offered counselling here for my BED which helped immensely. I am not sure how a dietician could really help with a compulsion to eat and a self-revulsion complex anyway.

Just keep in mind that advice from a health professional isn't the law, you can take on their ideas, go home and think about them, and decide if they apply to you or not. Don't be afraid to say no to them.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that advice from a health professional isn't the law, you can take on their ideas, go home and think about them, and decide if they apply to you or not. Don't be afraid to say no to them.

This. I strongly advise that everyone do this with ALL their professional helpers (doctors, counselors, dietitians, and so on). And get a second, third, and fourth opinion if something doesn't sit well with you about your diagnoses or treatment recommendations. Shop around if you and your medical professional(s) don't see eye to eye legitimately (not just because of you being hard-headed--if that happens--which, though it's hard to admit it, happens sometimes with almost everyone).
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »

This. I strongly advise that everyone do this with ALL their professional helpers (doctors, counselors, dietitians, and so on). And get a second, third, and fourth opinion if something doesn't sit well with you about your diagnoses or treatment recommendations. Shop around if you and your medical professional(s) don't see eye to eye legitimately (not just because of you being hard-headed--if that happens--which, though it's hard to admit it, happens sometimes with almost everyone).

Both of these!

You don't have to see only one doctor for something. It's okay to keep seeking out someone that's willing to work with you and not just regurgitate stuff they learned in college.

OP - There are a handful of people in this group that have or had BED. To my knowledge, LCHF to one degree or another has helped them make great strides in dealing with it, especially when combined with a "real food" mindset (ie - no artificial sweeteners and such; meat, vegetables, done). These results suggest that one of the physiological drives behind the initial binge is malnutrition. The body never really says "I'm satisfied," if it's still missing nutrients, which drives a person to eat. For some, that drive is strong enough that they basically can't stop, and then the emotional part takes over -- you start getting depressed and whatnot, in part because you start internalizing what society says about people with excess weight or binge eating issues -- that it's a moral and personal failing on your part, among other things -- this leads you to seek further comfort in food and feeds the binge desire.

So, keep with the way of eating that reduces the physiological drive (to note - this may require dropping all carb sources, even so-called "good" ones, at least for a while, in order to break feedback loops, but that will be up to you; one of the people here found that she still struggled with cravings even at very low carb and found that she thrives best on a carnivorous diet), and get counselling for any emotional/mental health issues that may also be leading you to binge. You may have it, officially, but it doesn't mean you'll have to fight with it your whole life.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ditto- "Shop around if you and your medical professional(s) don't see eye to eye legitimately."
    You haven't met this person yet, so wait and see if they are open to your ideas and your idea of proceeding ahead. This is about you, not pleasing someone else. Who knows, this may be really great! If not, just be frank. You may be pleasantly surprised. (Think good thoughts.)

The key is to find someone you trust, who understands what is working for you, understands what you are comfortable doing and is willing to work within your parameters. I'm getting too old to just smile and nod at this stage of my life. It's a waste of time and money to check-in with someone and you internally are thinking, "yea, right, I'll get right on that. - not."
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Does a professional want to be your partner in working for better health or does he/she want to be your health care dictator is about the only question that matters in the end. The masses are OK with dictators because they never will Google anything on the subject of health.
  • minties82
    Options
    Low carb has been the ONLY thing that has ever really helped me fight BED. I am 32 and have always had a funny relationship with food, that turned into BED some time during my teenage-hood. This year has been the best time of my life. I still fight it, and still have the odd time where I will binge, but it's more like once every few months rather than every day or two.

The second best thing was to find a counsellor that I got along well with. I haven't seen my counsellor for a long time and felt myself slipping into old habits, sadly he doesn't live in the area now.

I find it hard to get people to understand BED if they haven't experienced it themselves, a dietician advising me on what foods to eat for good health would not stop binging urges, any more than telling a dog how to wag his tale will stop him from barking.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I would continue to eat the way that I know to be right for me. Any medical professional can offer dietary advice, but it doesn't mean you have to follow it. Explaining to them about this woe is encouraged (when they actually listen), though is your decision on how you choose to eat.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The second best thing was to find a counsellor that I got along well with. I haven't seen my counsellor for a long time and felt myself slipping into old habits, sadly he doesn't live in the area now.

Could you reach out and ask for a referral from him? It would be well worth the call or email, because if he used to be in that area, I imagine he still knows professionals of similar mindset...or might be willing to do email/phone consults! Good luck.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am really lucky after reading all of these comments. My nutritionist and doc are setting me with low carbs and have embraced the issued of my insulin resistance because I was eating to many carbs, Now they have me on 140 gram of protein, 60-70 grams of fat and only no more than 60 grams of carbs. I am lucky to work with them! I am down 78 pounds, I don't feel hungry, in fact forcing myself to eat to lot of the time. and I am feeling better all around.