DOMS - can I still work out again?

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm new to all this. On Wednesday I started a new strength routine and every single muscle group is sore. I skipped Thursday and today it is a little better (maybe 70% back to normal when Thursday was 40%). It's just general aches, no stabbing pain or injury. Can I do the same routine today on Friday or will that just do more damage than its worth? What is the safest (but still effective) way to manage the soreness?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If it's just general aches and not pain or injury, even if very sore you can definitely still do the same routine. I find that the workout usually helps to reduce my soreness by the end of it. In the meantime you can foam roll, voodoo wrap and/or soak in epsom salts to also help with the soreness. Good luck with your new routine!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Definitely if its DOMS and not an injury go for it. It will probably help
  • sweetmandygreeneyez
    Options
    I like to do split sessions..today was lower body, yesterday upper body and abs..ect. It allows those muscles you creamed to recover without skipping a workout. I'm with KellyAnne; working out with soreness (not injury soreness) seems to increase blood flow to those areas and aid in healing...at least for me! Good luck!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If I'm just a bit sore, then yes. If I feel achy and tired, I consider it a sign I might need a break. You'll learn the difference eventually. Like others said, sometimes a workout will help with the soreness and any tightness.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    What does DOM S stand for?
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Delayed onset muscle soreness
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    bmele0 wrote: »
    Delayed onset muscle soreness

Thanks! I really haven't experienced that. I am reading strong curves and will start that soon. They say that to expect soreness like that. And it's a good thing?? I have only been doing SL 5x5 and progressing slowly and have never been sore. Maybe I'm not doing something right??
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Don't worry everyone's body will not react the same way. Soreness isn't an indictor of the effectiveness of a workout. Some people experience DOMS on a regular basis and others not at all.
  • LouLacy1989
    LouLacy1989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love DOMs lets me know I've worked really hard! Just push through the pain usually makes it much better... Just don't confuse DOMs for injuries
  • jaspergurl
    jaspergurl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a three day split, legs back shoulders, more functional exercise.
  • westln
    westln Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I'm new to all this. On Wednesday I started a new strength routine and every single muscle group is sore. I skipped Thursday and today it is a little better (maybe 70% back to normal when Thursday was 40%). It's just general aches, no stabbing pain or injury. Can I do the same routine today on Friday or will that just do more damage than its worth? What is the safest (but still effective) way to manage the soreness?
    Thanks for your help!

It is safe to do the same routine as long as you're sure there's no injuries. Be blessed and good luck.
  • JessicaBenson1
    JessicaBenson1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm new to weight training and just got a bench for use with free weights/ dumb bells. I got the body beast program from beach body. Any suggestions or advice?
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love DOMs lets me know I've worked really hard! Just push through the pain usually makes it much better... Just don't confuse DOMs for injuries

#Preach!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I started one Tuesday. Just twice a week and muscles were showing it with soreness. :) I also dropped over 3 lbs. Oh and I'm doing full body eccentrics mostly. I have to adjust my days I did Tuesday and Thursday but may need more than that to recover.

Oh and also did 3 days of cardio Wii Just Dance dancing for an hour or more.

Now that I found what DOMS was yeah my second eccentric lifting definitely had a delayed onset of soreness.