Non-disgusting Help Request

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
Made the most disgusting chicken last night but kudos to my husband he ate it and didn't complain (and even ate most of mine). Anyone have a decent tried and true recipe using chicken and sour cream? I have the frozen Tyson chicken breast you bake frozen (they were on sale).

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    If you eat dark meat chicken, Whole Foods has it about as cheap as the grocery store in large thighs and drumsticks suitable for a crock pot. Should work. I can never get white meat turkey or chicken to work for anything, though. Always dry.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My family loves the Chicken Pot Pie recipe in the Wheat Belly Cookbook. It calls for 1/2C sour cream with 12oz chicken tenders, but since I use more than a pound of chicken and up all the vegetables, I use about a cup of SC when I make it.
    Basically, you mash cauliflower and cheese together to create a "crust" for the "pie," but the filling is great without the crust, too.
    The recipe from the book has:
    2 pounds cauliflower florets (I use two bags of frozen)
    1/2 C shredded Cheddar cheese (I use up to a cup - we love the cheese part)
    4T butter
    1/4t sea salt (I honestly don't measure it)
    2 carrots, thinly sliced
    2 C broccoli florets but into small pieces (I use one frozen bag)
    10 oz sliced mushrooms
    12oz chicken tenders cut into cubes
    1/2C sour cream
    1/4t ground black pepper (again I don't measure this)

I also add cut up squash or zucchini if it is in season. I suppose you could use other veggies like peas and corn, but that's too many carbs for me.

I microwave all the frozen veggies before I cut them up. I also press out the extra water from the cauliflower before mixing it with the cheese (don't want a runny crust!)
    You just saute all the veggies together until just tender (using half the butter). Then set the veggies aside and cook the chicken until pink is gone(using the other half).
    Add the sour cream and pepper and salt, then the vegetables back in. I pour this whole concoction into a glass baking dish and top with the mashed cauliflower cheese mixture.
    Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Oh, another great recipe from the same book is Creamy Parmesan Chicken. No sour cream, but a can of coconut milk and gouda, colby, swiss, and parmesan cheeses.
    The recipe calls for 1C of shredded gouda, swiss, or colby and 1/2C grated parmesan, but I always up the qty and mix cheeses.
    You mix the cheeses into the coconut milk and pour over the chicken breasts, then sprinkle more parmesan on top and bake at 375 for 30 minutes (or until chicken temp reads at least 165). You can also use chicken tenders or cut the chicken into cubes first if that's your style. That would take less time to bake. I suppose you could mix salt and pepper into the cheese mix, but I never have to.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    This Sour Cream Smothered Chicken looks so good. It's basically like a loaded baked potato with chicken instead of potato!

10f263ca0b41e9f3ec17a1ba13d02e46.jpg
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    What about shredded chicken taco's topped with sour cream? :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Chorizo Chicken Bake
    recipe by Carole Jones

6-8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 if large, 8 if small)
    10 ounce package pork chorizo
    4 ounces light cream cheese or Mexican crema
    1/2 C light sour cream
    10 ounce can chopped tomatoes with green chiles, drained
    1/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 glass pan with nonstick spray. Lay down the chicken evenly in the pan.
    2. In a large skillet, brown the chorizo over medium high heat for about 7-8 minutes. Add the drained tomatoes, cream cheese and sour cream and mix until it is all blended. Spread the mixture over the chicken breasts, sprinkle on the parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered for about 45 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breasts. There will be enough pan juices to serve over some rice if desired. Or slice the chicken and serve it inside a tortilla topped with your favorite toppings.

Here is the link http://www.mykitchenescapades.com/2012/10/chorizo-chicken-bake.html

Not sure of the carb count as I made this before I started the diet but I think it shouldn't be bad and you could probably lose the can of Rotel if you needed to.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @QueenMunchy - doing this tonight - Thanks!
    This Sour Cream Smothered Chicken looks so good.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    What about shredded chicken taco's topped with sour cream? :)

oh yeah this! I make chicken in the crock pot with salsa, it shreds apart and you can make tacos with it, I just eat the chicken topped with cheese and sour cream. super easy and delicious
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Chorizo Chicken Bake
    recipe by Carole Jones

6-8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 if large, 8 if small)
    10 ounce package pork chorizo
    4 ounces light cream cheese or Mexican crema
    1/2 C light sour cream
    10 ounce can chopped tomatoes with green chiles, drained
    1/4 C freshly grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 glass pan with nonstick spray. Lay down the chicken evenly in the pan.
    2. In a large skillet, brown the chorizo over medium high heat for about 7-8 minutes. Add the drained tomatoes, cream cheese and sour cream and mix until it is all blended. Spread the mixture over the chicken breasts, sprinkle on the parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered for about 45 minutes depending on the size of your chicken breasts. There will be enough pan juices to serve over some rice if desired. Or slice the chicken and serve it inside a tortilla topped with your favorite toppings.

Here is the link http://www.mykitchenescapades.com/2012/10/chorizo-chicken-bake.html

Not sure of the carb count as I made this before I started the diet but I think it shouldn't be bad and you could probably lose the can of Rotel if you needed to.

Gonna try this as I have all those Ingreds. :)