Liquid diet

I'm going to be having some dental work done in a few months and was told I would have to be on all liquids for the next day or two. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be good other than possibly the Glucerna or Ensure shakes? This is really bothering me because I have never been one of the "shake" diet people. If I wasn't chewing something I wasn't eating! :o) Thanks for your suggestions.

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    I hear you on that!
    Although not filling enough for a meal IMHO, milk is technically a food. You should also look for a good make-your-own shake for protein/nutrition, but be prepared for major hunger a few hours later. For goodness sakes, please stay away from those nasty pre-mixed cartoned/canned shakes! Those are an afternoon of puke and a night on the toilet waiting to happen!
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    What about puréed soups? I had some major dental work done a few years ago and they didn't specify liquid, but it couldn't need much if any chewing. I could eat yogurt, applesauce, non chunky soup. I wasn't worried about sugars then so I had some yummy milkshakes too. It hurt no matter what, though, so I lost weight even with hi cal milkshakes.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    You can make your own shakes.
    Use Greek Yogurt.
    Add fruit to taste, and blend. You can always add whey powder for protein.

If you like a thick and creamy shake use frozen fruit or add ice cubes.

Pureed soup would work too.

Your blood sugar will probably go wonky after a Major Dental thing, so I'd think the goal would be to stay on an even keel, stay hydrated and "nutritioned" while things settle down.

Good luck; and you have my sympathy. (been there, done that). :s
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited September 2015
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    What about puréed soups? I had some major dental work done a few years ago and they didn't specify liquid, but it couldn't need much if any chewing. I could eat yogurt, applesauce, non chunky soup. I wasn't worried about sugars then so I had some yummy milkshakes too. It hurt no matter what, though, so I lost weight even with hi cal milkshakes.
    Ooh, I forgot about that! Cold shakes/melted ice cream would probably both nourish and soothe your mouth pain.
    @CrisEBTrue is right about BG spikes after trauma. If your dentist knows about the diabetes, s/he can advise you on what to do.
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will have to ask for more specifics. They do know I am diabetic so we shall see.