Exercise for Type 2 diabetes. Whats works for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ... for diabetes management I'd be more interested in a similar article focusing on the metabloization of glucose in the same process.
    I prefer resistance training. In addition to controlling bgl, I'm also interested in trying to preserve muscle mass as I age.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3881442/

From the article:
    There is good evidence that RT improves insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance and therefore seems to be an effective measure to improve overall metabolic health and reduce metabolic risk factors in diabetic patients...

...The beneficial effects of RT are promising. This is of significant interest as RT can be viewed as a suitable training modality in our time-poor society. In contrast to traditional high-volume endurance training, high-intensity/low-volume RT can be a time-efficient strategy to offer metabolic benefits.

I think the most important thing is consistency. It doesn't matter if it's RT, HIIT, running, cycling, swimming or kayaking. Movement is a far better option than sitting in one place. Find something that you can do on a regular basis and keep going.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    good article. Thanks!
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 30 minutes every morning on my recumbent bike. It's in my bedroom so I don't have to wake up first and it's easy on my knees and feet.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Coming in late, but I do the elliptical for 25-30 minutes three times a week and after the elliptical I usually walk for about 10 minutes to cool down (I get ridiculously sweaty and gross and need to cool off before hitting the weight machines). 30 minutes on the elliptical will bring my numbers down to around 80-90.

Find something that you enjoy. I LOVE the elliptical and I'm a dork so I give myself little challenges and have been trying to increase my distance. I hate the darn timer though. I refuse to look at the time until I've done one mile and then won't look again until I hit two miles. My challenge tonight will be doing 2.15 miles. I should be able to do it in 30 minutes (hopefully).

To my fellow educators...today is the first day of school with students! I'll definitely be needing that workout tonight!!!
  • Arleen316
    Arleen316 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been alternating water aerobics on MW with walking T TH and maybe one day over the weekend. I think I'm going to use Friday for Yoga/Stretching just to mix it up. Need to walk on Saturday or Sunday and take the other as a rest. It was so hard to get started, but now I find myself looking forward to my workouts. I love water aerobics!
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When first diagnosed I did around 30 minutes a day of low impact cardio (cross trainer, cycling machine) plus weights. As the fat weight came off and the fitness improved I increased the amount of cardio. As you get fitter you needed longer sessions to burn off the same calories.

The end result is I lost 70lbs and my H1abc for the past two years has been low 5% without taking any medication. I was diagnosed T2 with a level of 9.7%!

I'm now at the level where I do a lot of road cycling (over 1k km this month and 20k km since I started almost 3 years ago). In winter I will reduce the road work and increase the gym sessions (mainly weights with a little cardio).
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical every other day and I walk my dogs 5-7 days of the week! I also do yoga in the winter (LOVE YOGA!). Also in the winter I cross country ski to change things up a bit.