Prepping for the Holidays (October Challenge) Week 1 Check-In (10/1 - 10/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
This is the Check-In thread for Week 1 of the October "Prepping for the Holidays" monthly challenge.
You can report your progress/checklist every day, or every few days. As long as you are working on those basics, there's no "losing." You're winning.

Here's a rehash of the challenge parameters for those who haven't yet read them or need a wee reminder:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10261595/prepping-for-the-holidays-october-challenge
Ahhh...it's that time again. Fall. Temps turns cooler. Leaves change color. And all those holiday foods start creeping in on us. Pumpkin this and that, cider, with hot cocoa. And shortly after that Thanksgiving and Christmas parties smack us in the face with all those goodies. Before you know it, it's the New Year, and you're wondering "What the heck happened?" You're sporting extra weight. You feel guilty and unhealthy. And disappointed in yourself.

But it doesn't have to be that way! This month's theme is Prepping for the Holidays: A Basics Crash Course. This is my second Fall as a low-carber. And I lost weight the entire season. It CAN be done.

The keys to success in this WOE, or any eating plan for that matter, is three-fold:
  • Consistency
  • Persistence
  • Time

Well, isn't that trite and overly simplistic? I'll admit it is simple, but not easy.
To let those 3 keys work for you, you need to be prepared. PLAN PLAN PLAN. I can't stress this enough. Plan ahead, log ahead. When you have a firm plan and procedure in place, you create good habits. And good habits work for you by keeping up momentum even when things get busy, chaotic, or just plain hard. You've already paved the road for yourself! All you have to do is stay on the smooth way and enjoy the scenery.

So in this challenge, we'll be working to set up and reinforce those good habits before you get in the thick of it. We'll be setting up those easy paths and building up that momentum by practicing a habit pattern to predispose us to sail through the holidays. There will be a weekly thread where you can keep track of the goals you reach. We can encourage one another, get advice about any trouble spots, share low-carb-legal recipes of our holiday favorites. In honor of this being the scary month, you can opt for the add-on challenge and get extra credit for working on a fear or scary pattern that often derails you or inhibits your progress.

We're going to compete with ourselves, trying to get the max daily score and collect the max daily pumpkins, or work toward collecting more than you did previously. We'll set up good habits in the following areas: water, electrolytes, staying under carb goal, logging daily, staying close to cal goal, hitting our exercise goal, and can earn an extra pumpkin for resisting a temptation or working on our "fear."

This is what your daily entry would look like:
10/1:
  1. Water: 80/80oz
  2. Calorie goal within 100: check.jpg
  3. At or under carbs: 28g/30g net
  4. Exercise as planned: 20min HIIT
  5. Hit electrolytes: check.jpg
  6. Logged food (carbs):check.jpg

6/6
Earned 6 pumpkins.

Bonus: resisted temptation or worked on fear: +1

Daily Pumpkins collected: 7
em7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.pngem7od5ymabaq.png

Weekly Pumpkin Count: 13

The above is certainly just a template. You all may want to add a goal like: "Pre-logged Day" or "Planned Ahead" or "Resisted Off-Plan Halloween Treat" or "Packed On-Plan Lunch". I do not recommend nixing the logging calories or carbs, however, if you are one who becomes stressed by calorie counting, that's ok. But I recommend at least keeping track of your daily carb intake. Portion and carb creep are real. And it helps to occasionally reset our ability to "eye" our carb-count. Now would be a good time to recalibrate your carb-sense. I want every single one of you guys to coast through the holidays, enjoying them to the fullest. Preparation and consistency are key.

On the First of the month, sign in to let us know your personal goals. You can wait until you've done your daily checklist and lump it all together if you want.

Goals might look something like:
SW: 155.8
GW: 154.8
Get in the habit of pre-logging before things get nuts so I don't accidentally go over carbs and calories.
Stay on top of electrolytes so I don't get low.
Find low-carb-legal treats for the Halloween party.

To keep it orderly, on Oct. 1, this thread will be pinned in the stickies at the top of the group page and all you will have to do is go to it if the Weekly thread is buried and click on the links below. (So if you've already read the challenge parameters, try not to get too upset with me when I repeat them at the start of each Weekly Challenge thread. :smile:) We'll accept challengers at any time of the month. Remember, you are competing against yourself, and starting on getting the basics down (or refreshing them like I am), before the hectic holiday season is fully upon us, is our goal.

I'll be back tomorrow, Oct 1, to post my goals and checklist.

Happy Collecting. 5n8tz29r9s7y.png

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My challenge, to myself, this month doesn't fit the parameters very well. But, I'll track it here. I have no water, calorie, carb, or electrolyte goals. I also don't have exercise goals of the typical sort. I guess we could count hitting my step goal with my Fitbit. It's currently 11.5k, but I'll up it to 12.5k for an extra challenge on the weekends.

Still, my challenge does go beyond what most people here would consider doing. And, it's going to be hard for me.
    1. No coffee: This one is going to be hard for me. And, I already can think of a couple days where I will break it.
    2. No [added] seasonings: I'm not going to stress if eating out about what they added in the kitchen. I'm not going to stress about finishing off the hotdogs or Spam already in the fridge. I might add a dash of salt, but nothing else.
    3. Calories: as needed to avoid hunger
    4. Carbs: there's basically none in what I eat
    5. Water: as needed to avoid thirst
    6. Exercise: Daily step goal (12,500 steps)

Basically meat and water for the month. Eggs and cheese are permitted, but I don't see a whole lot of reasons I would add them without seasoning. The main goal is the coffee. Removing the seasoning is just because I want to see if it makes any difference. I doubt it will.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Here are my targets for each day:

Min. 72oz of water
    Stay within 10% of calorie goal
    Stay under 20g carbs (net)
    Exercise as planned

I think the water goal will be the most challenging for me to meet, as I've never been a huge consumer of liquids. I've gotten better about drinking more in the last couple years, but it's still hard for me to get in even 64 oz most days.

Starting out at 154lbs this month. Since last month was a no tracking challenge for me (and I lost 1.6lbs), I'll be curious to see how the more strictly monitored approach I'm taking this month works out.
  • baconslave
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    My challenge, to myself, this month doesn't fit the parameters very well. But, I'll track it here. I have no water, calorie, carb, or electrolyte goals. I also don't have exercise goals of the typical sort. I guess we could count hitting my step goal with my Fitbit. It's currently 11.5k, but I'll up it to 12.5k for an extra challenge on the weekends.

Still, my challenge does go beyond what most people here would consider doing. And, it's going to be hard for me.
    1. No coffee: This one is going to be hard for me. And, I already can think of a couple days where I will break it.
    2. No [added] seasonings: I'm not going to stress if eating out about what they added in the kitchen. I'm not going to stress about finishing off the hotdogs or Spam already in the fridge. I might add a dash of salt, but nothing else.
    3. Calories: as needed to avoid hunger
    4. Carbs: there's basically none in what I eat
    5. Water: as needed to avoid thirst
    6. Exercise: Daily step goal (12,500 steps)

Basically meat and water for the month. Eggs and cheese are permitted, but I don't see a whole lot of reasons I would add them without seasoning. The main goal is the coffee. Removing the seasoning is just because I want to see if it makes any difference. I doubt it will.

Shush. It works just perfectly. You have a goal and are being mindful. It fits right in. You get a cheesy wee pumpkin for meeting each one. Or you can skip the pumpkin-cheese. Do check-in and let us know how that works. I only drink one coffee cup a day, but I'd die without it. Or maybe just be really unpleasant, but still. Eliminating that would be a huge mind-over-matter accomplishment.
  • TabiScha
    TabiScha Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my first month on lchf, I've been gradually adapting to it the last few weeks of September but have given in here and there. But as it's the 1st of the month and I stumbled upon this challenge its time to really up my game. So here's my goals:

1. 82 oz of water each day;
    2. 8,000 fitbit steps per day (if I'm only working at one of my two jobs I usually barely break 6,000);
    3. Under 20g of carbs per day
    4. Attend taekwondo at least 3x a week (2nd job shifts permitting); and
    5. I'd like to lose 4lbs this month. So my SW 184 / GW 180

Does anyone have any tips for a first timer? I have a friend that follows Atkins and she's been helping me with low carb options for meals and eating out etc.
  • baconslave
    Options
    okie dokie. Here's me:

SW: 155.4
    GW: 152 (which places me in the 100lb Club)

Also, to continue to prelog every day
    To stay at or under cal goal Sunday thru Friday. Saturday I will stay under carb level and have a cal up-day.
    Under 50g total carbs.
    Keep on the electrolytes. I perform better in exercise and life when I keep the sodium over 3,000mg for the day.
    Hit my macro range.

So just basically to keep on-top of everything. I had been letting the cals slide a bit. And I lost nothing for 3 months. I started lying to myself. During last month's challenge, I got my cals under control (read: stayed out of the nuts!), got back into a normal rhythm, and weaned myself off weighing obsessively every day. I'll weigh once weekly this month as well. I'm pretty neurotic, so anything to chill that out is :+1:

It's hard to juggle all the different things. Soccer season, with 4 kids on 3 different teams, I don't know which way is up some days.

Ideally, if this challenge works out well, I'd like to do a Basics Bootcamp Challenge every month for newbies and people who need a refresher. This could be independent of any other challenges others want to hold.

For those just starting out low-carbing, here is the foundation:
    1. Stay under your carb level.
    2. Hit your protein range. (go to http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ if you don't know it)
    3. Eat the rest of your food intake in fat.
    4. Make sure you keep your electrolyte levels up.
    5. Stay hydrated.

• NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've never done one of these before. Or rather, I've never finished one of these. I read somewhere that a goal that not written down is only a wish. So here goes.

Goals for the month of October
    SW 161.2
    GW 157.3
    Prepare something I can eat to take to each tailgate party

Challenge for Oct 1
    Plan eating, log food

Carbs at 20g net

10,000 steps

Calories within 100, fat within 10g

• cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I need this! Lost steadily from June-mid August then fell off the wagon :(

SW: 171.4
    GW: less! (ok - 165 would be nice by the end of the month)

Get back to keto basics....when I plan, I succeed!
    Get back on IF
    Hit my macros - need to work on getting more fat in
    Log EVERY day
    Drink my water (it is getting colder here and I really notice of I don't hydrate)
    Continue on my exercise plan
    Cut back on the booze (that has certainly been one of my triggers)

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ok, my goals are all about better planning. I've been meal prepping for months, but my planning has been shoddy, and I ended up running out to buy food a few times a week regardless. So...

1. I will meal plan and do my grocery shopping and major cooking once a week on weekends when I don't work.
    2. I will run out for missing ingredients/extra food no more then twice a week on the weeks when I don't work weekends.
    3. I will stick to my plan, and minimize my food waste
    4. I will eat out twice a week where I have budgeted for it.
    5. On the weekends when I work (1 weekend a month) I will do my best to stick to the WOE when I am forced to eat out, and refrain from any treats pushed on me by coworkers/bosses/higher-ups or random nice folks.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have done well for the past month, so want to power through the holidays!

SW: 179.5
    GW: 172 (I am way up from where I should be, so should be able to manage this)

1. <25 g carbs/day
    2. 10,000 steps/day
    3. Log food every day
    4. 80 oz water every day

Good luck everyone!

(I just put these goals as a daily reminder on my work calendar for all the days of October - hope that helps!)
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Goals:

SW: 158.6
    GW: 156.6
    (Technically I'm in "maintenance mode" until 10/13. So, losing two pounds in the last two weeks of the month would be my goal.)
    Measurements: Keep making incremental progress losing inches. 1/4 or 1/2 an inch here and there still counts.

My subjective goal is to stay more involved with this challenge than I have on the others--stick to it through the end and check in at least weekly. I don't know why this is so hard for me. Maybe because it's all rolled up into one long thread? (Maybe I'm missing something about how the challenges are supposed to work.)

Water: At least one glass per serving of other beverages (coffee, tea, wine, etc.)
    Logging: Log all food and exercise
    Restrictions: No Coke Zero. This is pretty much the only AS I indulge in, and I think it might be slowing my weight loss and/or keeping my joint pain going.
    Exercise: 5 days per week, minimum. Pretty much what I'm doing now. No major changes, minor tweaks are fine.

I'll check in at the end of the day today with my "stats".

Note: 10/7-9 I'll be in Mexico on a mission trip, which may throw a wrench into my plans. I'll do the best I can, but not stress about it.

Thanks for coordinating this, @baconslave!
  • Bigredbow
    Bigredbow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is also my first time to participate in the monthly goals for this group. I will keep it simple.

1. I will drink 80oz of water or green tea daily.

2. I will learn how to make LCHF cheese cake fluff.

3. I will not go over my protein macro.

4. I will keep up with my walking -- moving up to 60 minutes three times/week on Tuesday. (Tomorrow is 50 minutes).

That's it. It helps to know that you are all out there working on your goals.

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    October challenge
    1. Reign in carb creep to 20g per day.
    2. Rejoin gym for 30 min/6x week:
    3. Add in strength with HIIT cycle, for weight loss and fir body shape.

SW: 290
    CW: 173
    GW: 159

Would like to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week.

My personal goal is to get through holiday season, oct 15- feb 15, without indulging in ANY holiday foods. Rather to make this season about friends, fam, and good times.
    I don't need no stinking holiday cookie!!!
    Not this year, at least.
    I love my new bod!

Good luck everybody.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to come up with new goals right now since its been such a successful seven months already. I'm so in to this woe that I truly don't think the holidays will be a problem for me, though they will be my first since beginning this woe. I am getting to the point where I feel I can maybe try some regular exercise without too much pain, but don't want to fail if I can't meet a certain limit I set for myself. I will watch, and cheer from the sidelines here! Good luck everybody! You all encourage and inspire me daily! :smiley:
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I'm so in! This is my first time participating in the monthly challenges!!

So my goals for October are:

1. up to 40 gms of carbs per day

2. 12,000 steps/day

3. Minimum 80 oz of water each and every day

4. More consistent with exercise especially weight lifting this month!

SW: 163
    GW: 158

Good luck everyone!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I'm only on day 4 of the diet so I going to start out kind of slow and easy with my goals!

1. Stay under 25-30 net carbs a day most days of the month (see #3)
    2. Plan meals for the following week on Saturday or Sunday and stick to meal plan
    3. Two special occasion days take place this month and my goal is to go no higher than 50 net carbs
    4. Try to add exercise in 3-4 times per week as joint pain permits
    5. Try at least one new keto friendly recipe per week to keep things interesting
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My water intake is already good, but I'm going to work on my salt intake and staying closer to my calorie goal. (I'm chronically low) So within 200 cals. Carbs under 35 net.

My main goal will be to be mindful of eating. Also to find low carb dishes for the holidays.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    October:
    SW 153
    GW 149

I've been hitting my 4 lbs a month goal pretty routinely. September was a bit rougher because I lost almost 2 weeks eating fruit, that was dumb! But when I stopped things are moving again.

Nothing really planned for this month that I haven't already been doing.

I'd like to increase exercise. In September, I slipped back a bit and missed 10 days of doing something. Yoga and brisk walking 3miles have been my go-to.

I recently hurt my back lifting something too heavy, and I'm going to acupuncture tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get back on track and keep moving.

• KimR_1986
    KimR_1986 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is my first challenge and I'm on day 3 of this new WOE so keeping it simple.

1. Stay between 20-25 net carbs
    2. Drink minimum 64oz of water
    3. Pre-log my foods
    4. Try to do some form of exercise everyday

SW:274.8
    GW: 265
  • whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SW: 231
    GW: 225

1: No coffee, except for Fri, Sat, Sun (family ritual - My mother would be disappointed, and no one disappoints their mother! lol).
    2: At or under carbs (20, since on Atkins induction).
    3: Practice repeatedly that food is not the centerpiece of my life. That food is fuel. Nothing more.
    4: Exercise - Sun to Thurs for the month.
    5: Read Atkins book again, to see where I could potentially have problems staying true to induction.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    SW: 210
    GW: 200

1. Drink more water and less diet coke
    2. Get at least 10k steps a day 5 days a week, with a bonus goal of going over 12k as often as possible
    3. Resist the Halloween candy that will soon be flooding my office.
    4. Join the gym and get back to the elliptical and weight machines.
    5. Keep carbs below 50 total a day
    6. Try not to gain while at Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights.