3 Small or 1 Big

Ok, this is my second fast day (this time around - I experimented with it a little last summer). I've read "The Fast Diet" and watched the BBC Documentary. I know that some styles of fasting require you to hold off on eating until later in the day. I am able to stick to the 500 calorie range, however; I find it easier to eat three small meals as usual. For instance 2 small eggs at breakfast, chicken soup for lunch, and meat and veggies for dinner. Is this defeating the purpose if I'm not fasting all day before I eat my first meal?

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited October 2015
    Don't overthink it. Whatever works for you is fine. Possibly a longer fasting window is better for the health aspects, but if you have a hard time with it and have to break you fast, that definitely defeats the purpose more than 3 small meals. You may find your needs change the longer you do 5:2.

Embrace the flexibilty of 5:2. The only 'rule' is 500cals, everything else is tailored to your needs.
  • maryade
    maryade Posts: 3 Member
    I tend to do 2 meals: a low cal soup (under 100 cals) for lunch and the rest in the evening when I'm usually the hungriest. During the day I'll have a few mugs of tea and coffee with water or squash to keep me sane. I don't normally snack on s fast day during the day, but was feeling hungry yesterday so I had half an apple before a walk.
    I don't unusually stress out about keeping under 500, as it'll all balance out.
  • mrsgreen5686
    mrsgreen5686 Posts: 34 Member
    I started out with 3 meals a day after my first couple of weeks I now have lunch and dinner. No breakfast. I find breakfast seems to come and go so quickly so like yesterday I wasn't feeling particularly hungry at lunch time either so just had some ham to tide me through toll I got back from the gym. Then I had chicken and rice. Happy fasting :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Hit your fast day calories in any way that suits you - any differences in results from eating patterns on a fast day are going to be absolutely minimal. Easy adherence tends to beat science! :)

Two meals works best for me as I can skip breakfast very easily - doesn't make me any more or less hungry by lunchtime.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    I have found for me that 1 meal in the evening works best for me. But if I am feeling grumpy or do some strenuous exercise then a couple of spoons of low fat cottage cheese tides me over until the evening.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    I am all about tea or coffee until dinner time and then I spend all my calories :p If I wake my tummy up then I'm in trouble.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,603 Member
    I split between lunch and dinner. I can skip breakfast, no problem, but if I don't have lunch I get hangry.