Falling off the Low Carb Wagon

Options
Hello Fellow Low Carbers,

So today I ate more carbs than I would have liked. UTZ potato chips to be exact. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever succumbed to temptation OR, faced temptation and won!

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I faced it for the first time the other night when cooking my dinner and my skinny hubby dinner... I was having a steak salad but he was having bakery buttered herb bread fried fish sand which, now the fish wasn't the problem but that bread was screaming at me... do you hear me.... screaming at me. lmao I told myself ok I'm eating my salad and when i'm done if I want a bite I will have it. Guess what? After my salad i didnt want it so I WON!! Now i'm going to tell myself if I really really want it, I can have it after my meal and only a small portion of what I'm wanting "ag not the whole bag of chips" lol
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I faced it for the first time the other night when cooking my dinner and my skinny hubby dinner... I was having a steak salad but he was having bakery buttered herb bread fried fish sand which, now the fish wasn't the problem but that bread was screaming at me... do you hear me.... screaming at me. lmao I told myself ok I'm eating my salad and when i'm done if I want a bite I will have it. Guess what? After my salad i didnt want it so I WON!! Now i'm going to tell myself if I really really want it, I can have it after my meal and only a small portion of what I'm wanting "ag not the whole bag of chips" lol

Love your response!!
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    lol
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I succumbed last weekend, after being so good for 3 months! I had a half glass of wine, followed by crisps, chocolate, crackers and cheese plus icecream! all one day... I felt like I had a hangover the next day :)
    Monday I did a water fast to 'restart'. The sad thing is only the icecream tasted really good and the rest was pretty ordinary but I ate it anyway.
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had a rough day yesterday. I gave in and had a sliver of the apple pie the kids BEGGED me to make with them last weekend. Ordinarily that would be a one-time splurge but it really took over my appetite. I could have eaten the siding off the house I was so hungry all day. Today I was determined not to let Tuesday slide into Wednesday and let Wednesday become a whole weekend. So far, so good.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I just hit my first hurdle - two days of eating at someone else's house. They put so much effort into the meals, I did not want to offend and/or explain what I should be eating. I skipped some obvious things like potatoes, so it was not a disaster, but today I woke up with carb cravings and three pounds above where I should be.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Its honestly a minute to minute struggle for me. I am a carbaholic. Lately I've been going to bed right when the kids go to bed at 8 pm because the desire to binge on carbs is so bad. Ive had bumps in the road and I guess what keeps me here is looking at progress pictures and knowing that if I give in I'll end up as miserable as I was in my start pictures.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The first couple of months were the hardest. The cravings are real! Early on I was lucky to have wonderful people to follow here and after thanking one of them for their awesome support they told me how much they appreciated the comments but to remember that it was me making the decision to do it. That has stuck with me, and will forever I'm sure. I am making the decision to make the best choices for me. Has been a sort of mantra for me. Since about two months in I haven't experienced cravings and have been able to resist temptations, completely. I've even cut birthday cake three times without even wanting to lick my fingers! It's a place I never knew was possible! :smiley:
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    Many of us have been there. The trick is to pick yourself up, dust the carb dust off, and recommit to yourself. Lower your carbs more, stick to LCHF and the cravings will go away. If they come back, just repeat again and again.

I find that I feel so bad after indulging in those foods, that I don't want to do it again. Each time I fall off the wagon though, I don't fall as far or as low.....and it gets easier to get back to it.

There are so many awesome reasons to stick with this WOE........the way we feel, the way we look, how our skin glows with health, how much energy we have.....I could go on and on. Let's not jeopardize our health or our weight loss plans. The carbs are just not worth it.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I say if your heathy eat more fat, I'm a fat eater and really 3 weeks in only one time of cravings and the last time I tried low carb I was starving then someone said up my fats and now I agree
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I did well for about a month, caved once for birthday cake and have never truly gotten it back together since. Because I have only been half-hearted about it, I struggle with cravings regularly and lose.

Tomorrow is a new day and a new month and I'm committing to getting my fat back up and my carbs back down to get back in the game.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Unless we break bones when we fall off the wagon we just get back on the wagon. :)
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Unless we break bones when we fall off the wagon we just get back on the wagon. :)

Well said Gale!

• mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    We had bday lunch at work yesterday, I had to try a SMALL piece of my boss' sister's homemade Canoloni (sp?). Of course, that led to another piece, a breadstick, some cake, some ice cream, then pizza and a Twinkie for dinner. UGHHH! After 3 weeks of staying under 50 net g a day, I went crazy. My stomach is now bloated out 3 inches, I feel sick to my tummy and feel bone tired and dragging butt. Trying to drink as much water as possible today and start back at day 1. I completely lost control and I NOW know that the "hangover' is NOT worth the temporary bite of food..it didn't even TASTE that good..well nothing after that first piece of pasta tasted very good. Yep..agree with above..just get back on the wagon. :) Have a healthy and blessed week, y'all!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Adding in some healthy fats can actually soothe the stomach some. A hard workout to burn some of those carbs might help too. Other than that, getting back on track and back to basics is key!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Must be something in the air. I gave in and got KFC last night. When things get bad in my life, I tend to eat carbs. I need to stop emotional eating.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks, KnitOrMiss! I did add a little extra HWC to my BPC this morning, and have tracked cals like a ninja, and am at net 21 g carbs for the day. :) I remember reading on here about sweating out the extra stuff in your tummy (forgot the scientific jargon) now that you mention it. I might just have to dust off the elliptical tonight. Thanks!
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've been a ' Hot Tamale candy' craving. Crazy! I never ate those before I started eating low carbs. Long story short. 100% blew today. 2 biquits for dinner, 1/2 box of Hot Tamales and 1/2 box of whoppers! What is wrong with me!!!!!
    carom wrote: »
    I succumbed last weekend, after being so good for 3 months! I had a half glass of wine, followed by crisps, chocolate, crackers and cheese plus icecream! all one day... I felt like I had a hangover the next day :)
    Monday I did a water fast to 'restart'. The sad thing is only the icecream tasted really good and the rest was pretty ordinary but I ate it anyway.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I had a terrible day yesterday and the kids were determined to make me runaway. Instead of diving headfirst in their junk food, I chewed gum like an angry cow and brewed myself some Tension Tamer tea. I breathed and watched a show on Amazon.

I strengthened my "resistance" muscle last night.
    But if you don't make it, it isn't the falling down that defines you. What MAKES you is you getting right back up. No guilt, but no excuses either. So you fell down? SO? Did you get right back up, or did you lay in the failure and wallow in it? In my old life, I did the latter. Now when I mess up, I immediately get back up, dust off, and get back to business. That is strength.
    Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
    Get up that extra time. :smile: That's winning. You only fail if you give up.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    All so true @baconslave!!
    Giving in to temptation due to stress, emotions...is giving your power over to whomever, or whatever, is creating the situation. I have given my power away too many times to count! Once I learned that I was doing that I have taken the power back, and choose to keep it everyday! It's a choice that's only you can make!