Getting nervous

Options
I'm having surgery on Monday. My exercise is not anywhere where I want it to be. Right now with activity I get short of breath and my feet, knees, hips and back hurts. Does it get easier once weight starts coming off? I can handle the pain but the shortness of breath gets me and it's like and instant defeater.

Replies

• ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets much easier. Good luck on Monday, and keep in touch that first week. It's the hardest.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It will get easier as you get lighter, and also as you build up stamina. Also, check your intensity level. It is tempting to go all out, but if you are working so hard that you are hurting yourself, it might be too hard. Check the 'talk test' during exercise. Yoou should be able to have short conversations but not long ones if you are at the right intensity level. You can also find a heart rate target for moderate exercise.

Good luck Monday! We'll be thinking about you!

Rob
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Definitely take it easy when you're immediately post-op - you'll want to walk, but not so aggressively that you injure yourself. And you don't have to be running marathons out of the gate once you are ready to get up and go. I literally started out by taking laps around my living room just a few times. Then to the end of my street. Then around the block. Then for 15 minutes. Then 30. And so on. And remember that your pace will build after a while. Walking slowly is still more walking than none! Once the weight starts dropping off, you'll find it's harder to sit still. You're going to have energy to burn, and it gets easier to want to get up and move around.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yes. It gets easier. Make little daily goals and add a small increase every day or two. I started at 400 lbs, couldn't walk half a block. Now I walk 5 miles, 3-4 times a week, with hand weights, and I average a 20 minute mile. Some days I use an incline, some a decline when I'm on the treadmill. (Today I'm taking it easy, 3 miles outside on trails, as I don't have time for all 5 miles....) You will feel lighter and more energetic soon. Start training your mind and body that you CAN do this. Best of luck!
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the feedback. I'm so glad I found this group!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    yes, it will get easier, and not to push it the first 6 weeks after surgery. My surgeon wanted me walking, but no weights/jogging/anything that might push my body too far. Take yourself where you are today, and will be after your surgery. Move as you can, listen to your body, and after you're cleared by your doctor, up your intensity a bit, and a bit more when the new level becomes easier. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is your strength and endurance (as much as we wish it was!)
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yep. After surgery don't be anxious about excercise. Walk, drink and get plenty of rest first....walk, and keep walking, but in a few weeks you'll be ready to really start pushing it, and it does get easier as the weight comes off. I'm 11 months post op, and working out in the gym like I did as a college rugby player 35 years ago. But at first I just walked, and that was enough.