October Chat Thread

Options
cindytw
cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
Hi all! I have been absent but I DO like this idea and I have pared down my commitments and re-focused on what is important to my HEALTH, not my VANITY. I tried Weight Watchers (because I had no real idea of what it was honestly, only that it worked for friends in the past). Epic FAIL!! I tend to the hypoglycemic side (reactive, usually to carbs) and it was way too high carb and low fat for me, even eating real foods!! If I ate foods that agreed with me I was WAY over every single day without being a glutton!! I double tracked with MFP, it had me eating 980 calories plus veggies and fruit, which may add what, 300?? NO WAY!! So I am back home to stay, tracking, watching macros to be lower carb, and tying to be reasonable with my eating! Its hard we have a LOT of junk food places about a mile away and one I can SEE from my porch!! Temptation EVERYWHERE!

What is everyone else struggling with?

Replies

• Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much just struggling with quitting or severely limiting booze. Switched from paleo to primal as they allow some cheese and red wine lol. I used to drink quite a bit so it's been a challenge though I know it's way healthier for me in the long run. It's been almost three weeks though and I feel pretty darn good :)
  • angelnorgaard
    angelnorgaard Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My struggle is being the only primal eater in a house full of modern day "I love all processed food" people... My hubby wont even touch a veggie... says he gets all he needs from Ketchup ...
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    "he gets all he needs from ketchup" too funny. I feel the same way. Hubby and one son left. Son eats pretty much whatever I give him, but hubby has a sweet tooth. BAD. So he is forever buying candy, etc. he is also frugal - with money only so white bread that is the cheapest is what he thinks he can make sandwiches from. So...it is tough. I am pretty much in it for me. I visualize alot - because I do feel better. So I visualize that awful bread and sugar doing the bad things to my body and try so hard to ignore it all.
    And I buy the stuff I want - so veggies and if he does not eat them, then I have leftovers for the next day (:
  • cindytw
    Options
    My husband used to be the same way years ago. He claimed he didn't eat a LOT of things, and "hated" many more. What I found is that if I made great tasty meals, he suddenly admitted something was good! Now he eats most things, he is still not willing to touch seafood or tomatoes. But will eat tomato sauce...He still buys more junk than I would like, but I can't even comment right now because I have been weak myself with the fried foods. We really do live in an area that has nothing but junk! For example, our local gas station GIVES you 2 free BIG candy bars when you get gas, the candy and chips are always like 4/$1, we have great places to eat unhealthy food right down the block, and I can SEE my favorite pizza place from my window!! Nothing healthy for miles around! :/ I do try to ignore it all, but with the stress of a new house, I just cave more than I would have normally.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Juniper, I am Primal right now as it is the best I can muster! Start somewhere and try to refine once you have success. Not many people can dive headfirst into anything!
  • Craftyviking
    Craftyviking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with baked goods. I love them and could live on sandwhiches and other baked stuff.
  • BUNSENH0NEYDEW
    BUNSENH0NEYDEW Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to balance all the cooking I have to do now. It used to be so easy to just get a dozen healthy choice meals and I'd be set for lunch at work. Now I have to spend extra precious time at the grocery store, prepping foods, vacuum sealing meats, and cooking .. cooking... cooking.
  • Juniper3411
    Options
    Yeah the constant cooking thing is starting to get to me as well! I was never a big fan of cooking. I'm not bad at it, but all of the prep and time and clean up is such a HASSLE! Hopefully I'll settle into a groove. I've also been trying to be too fancy I think with recipes, I need to just batch cook easy things sometimes so I don't get too bogged down. I'm going to have to do some serious cooking this weekend so I have leftovers for lunch next week!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much just struggling with quitting or severely limiting booze. Switched from paleo to primal as they allow some cheese and red wine lol. I used to drink quite a bit so it's been a challenge though I know it's way healthier for me in the long run. It's been almost three weeks though and I feel pretty darn good :)

I share that struggle! I also prefer primal since it allows some cheese and cream. Glad you are feeling better! I just had a really bad week with food choices, lack of exercise, not feeling well, and drinking too much booze. Getting back on track starting today!

• Juniper3411
    Options
    Yeah I drank last night and felt guilty about it :( really struggling today with carb cravings. Kids were eating cereal and animal crackers and I was dying! Haven't cheated cause I know it will make me feel bad but it sucks
  • crunchketo
    crunchketo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had a huge headache today and nausea. I held off until 9:00 but needed to be up and alert for another two hours so I broke down and are ice cream. Headache and nausea instantly vanished.
    Betrayed by my body!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have reached a point where I'm not really struggling with food so much, or I have learned to manage my food struggles? Like, last month I was struggling with self control around almonds. So, this month I just didn't buy almonds. I find peace in cooking, and if I keep it simple I have less to clean up afterwards. If I get the right amount of nutrients I don't feel guilty anymore about having a glass of champagne or wine and I have had the same tequila bottle in the fridge for over a month now (huge victory for me lol).

I think my biggest struggle is balancing cooking and exercise with the rest of my life - like, once I do those two things I don't really want to go scoop the cat boxes or clean the clutter pile in the <enter any room or space here>. I would rather just veg on the couch and catch up on my favorite shows. So this month I have been trying to make myself get off of the couch and tackle at least one thing before letting myself really enjoy vegging out.
  • FitMommaD
    FitMommaD Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am healing from a bad injury ..... over the summer several ribs slipped out of place & I ignored it and kept working out and caused more issues .... so my food is all I can control. That being said I have been zeroed in on 100% primal and still slowly loosing weight :smile:
  • cindytw
    Options
    I have reached a point where I'm not really struggling with food so much, or I have learned to manage my food struggles? Like, last month I was struggling with self control around almonds. So, this month I just didn't buy almonds. I find peace in cooking, and if I keep it simple I have less to clean up afterwards. If I get the right amount of nutrients I don't feel guilty anymore about having a glass of champagne or wine and I have had the same tequila bottle in the fridge for over a month now (huge victory for me lol).

I think my biggest struggle is balancing cooking and exercise with the rest of my life - like, once I do those two things I don't really want to go scoop the cat boxes or clean the clutter pile in the <enter any room or space here>. I would rather just veg on the couch and catch up on my favorite shows. So this month I have been trying to make myself get off of the couch and tackle at least one thing before letting myself really enjoy vegging out.

I have been doing the house stuff, some cooking and no exercise to speak of! :) Hard to get all of it in!
  • cindytw
    Options
    FitMommaD wrote: »
    I am healing from a bad injury ..... over the summer several ribs slipped out of place & I ignored it and kept working out and caused more issues .... so my food is all I can control. That being said I have been zeroed in on 100% primal and still slowly loosing weight :smile:

Injuries can really take a toll! I badly broke a toe the week after we moved in to our new house, and that led to a downward spiral I am still trying to come out of!! Glad you are doing well with it!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I moved to a new job where I eat all (almost) my meals at work and dont get a lot of choice in the food. I've got breakfast sorted (yogurt and eggs) but have been really struggling with lunch and dinner. Often dinner is meat (great! And its organic too) and two vegetables (sometimes corn and beans) but often I'm still really hungry and because my work is italian and we live on the boarder of Italy we have pasta at pretty much everymeal! Sometimes bread too!

This week I bought salami style sticks and nuts to hide away and today at lunch instead of eating the pasta I waited till after and had salami and nuts instead! Now just to be better at sticking to this! Le sigh
  • cindytw
    Options
    I moved to a new job where I eat all (almost) my meals at work and dont get a lot of choice in the food. I've got breakfast sorted (yogurt and eggs) but have been really struggling with lunch and dinner. Often dinner is meat (great! And its organic too) and two vegetables (sometimes corn and beans) but often I'm still really hungry and because my work is italian and we live on the boarder of Italy we have pasta at pretty much everymeal! Sometimes bread too!

This week I bought salami style sticks and nuts to hide away and today at lunch instead of eating the pasta I waited till after and had salami and nuts instead! Now just to be better at sticking to this! Le sigh

I get it! I work around food as well and I often have to cook things I can't have! The more you find ways to fill yourself without it the easier it will be! I have no problem with pasta anymore because I love zoodles and spaghetti squash, as an example.
  • JessiBelleW
    Options
    The problem for me is that I then have to go into the kitchen and disturb the cooks to make/cook food. And we only have one kitchen! So for me many of the ways I need to full myself up need to be cooking free/ easy to do. I don't particularly even like pasta but when I'm hungry and it is what is for lunch I struggle. Still I've now had two days grain free - onwards and upwards
  • cindytw
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The problem for me is that I then have to go into the kitchen and disturb the cooks to make/cook food. And we only have one kitchen! So for me many of the ways I need to full myself up need to be cooking free/ easy to do. I don't particularly even like pasta but when I'm hungry and it is what is for lunch I struggle. Still I've now had two days grain free - onwards and upwards

The beauty of cooking your own food in batches, on say a Sunday, means you never have to deal with that at all!! Package up portions, heat and eat. On the rare occasion if you are without food, make the best choice you can and fill up on salad
  • JessiBelleW
    Options
    Iquote="cindytw;34431631"]

The beauty of cooking your own food in batches, on say a Sunday, means you never have to deal with that at all!! Package up portions, heat and eat. On the rare occasion if you are without food, make the best choice you can and fill up on salad
    [/quote]

It sounds so sensible when you say it like that. i used to batch cook when i lived in Abu dhabi. I literally work 7 days a week at the moment (that's part of why work supplies my food/ cooks for me). Not only that but we dont have a mircowave - so even reheating means borrowing the kitchen (thus getting in the cooks way) and using pots then I then have to clean. I often dont finish work till 9.30/10pm too. At the moment, nuts, salami style meats and protien powder are saving my hide! :) today's day 3 bread and pasta free though :)