Disbelief

Options
Does anyone else doubt they are losing weight? For example, I was sure one week that I had gained weight. After getting on the scales at the doctor's office I had lost 3 lbs. Somewhere in my head self sabotage sneaks in! Suggestions other than checking the scales for reassurance?

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Don't trust the scale alone. You need to be taking measurements: thighs, waist, chest, arms, neck. If you are exercising, you will be building muscle, which is much heavier than fat. Also, your home scale will most likely be different than the one at your Dr office. Their scale probably costs thousands and self-calibrates; home scales don't, for the most part. Weigh yourself before/after your Dr appointments and add a sticky to your scale, if yours does not allow for calibration.
    Also, be careful. It's way too easy to become fixated on the scale. I'm guilty of this often times. Your weight will flux and stall sometimes; it's super frustrating. Water weight, bowel regularity, muscle growth, and other factors will cause ups and downs. Stay honest in your logging, make sure you are getting the right calories and macros, and keep up with the exercise, and you'll move on down. If it goes on for a month or so, you may want to speak with your nutritionist or surgical team.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I don't rely just on the scale, but also on how the clothes and rings fit. I tend to retain water easily and sometimes that alone will add a few pounds. If the hands are puffy and the rings tight, that's my indication it's water rather than fat. If however the waistband on my new jeans is snug. That's gain. I check the scale to verify and then ramp things up again.
  • MelissaLisaKightCannon
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Don't trust the scale alone. You need to be taking measurements: thighs, waist, chest, arms, neck. If you are exercising, you will be building muscle, which is much heavier than fat. Also, your home scale will most likely be different than the one at your Dr office. Their scale probably costs thousands and self-calibrates; home scales don't, for the most part. Weigh yourself before/after your Dr appointments and add a sticky to your scale, if yours does not allow for calibration.
    Also, be careful. It's way too easy to become fixated on the scale. I'm guilty of this often times. Your weight will flux and stall sometimes; it's super frustrating. Water weight, bowel regularity, muscle growth, and other factors will cause ups and downs. Stay honest in your logging, make sure you are getting the right calories and macros, and keep up with the exercise, and you'll move on down. If it goes on for a month or so, you may want to speak with your nutritionist or surgical team.

I'm only weighing at the doctor's office for consistency. It's not so much a fixation on the scale as a lack of confidence that I can do this. Your tips are very helpful! Thank you!
  • MelissaLisaKightCannon
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I don't rely just on the scale, but also on how the clothes and rings fit. I tend to retain water easily and sometimes that alone will add a few pounds. If the hands are puffy and the rings tight, that's my indication it's water rather than fat. If however the waistband on my new jeans is snug. That's gain. I check the scale to verify and then ramp things up again.

I enjoy the change in clothing....love it!