Top sources of carbs

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
I was curious about the top sources of carbs in the Standard American Diet, and also which of those low-carbers eat when they fall off the wagon.

Here it is for kids:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/102/4/913.short
  1. yeast bread
  2. soft drinks/sodas
  3. milk
  4. ready-to-eat cereal
  5. cakes/cookies/quick breads/donuts
  6. sugars/syrups/jams
  7. fruit drinks
  8. pasta
  9. white potatoes

Which of these do you eat now? Which do you eat when you fall off the wagon?

I couldn't find a similar list for adults, but this was close:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1310699

Yeast breads that were neither whole grain nor higher fiber contributed about 7% of the energy to the diets, which made them the leading source of energy of the foods we examined.

Two of the top three sources of carbohydrate--regular soft drinks and sugar--are composed entirely of simple sugars. Potatoes provided around 11% of the fiber, which made them the leading source of fiber.

So probably pretty similar to the list above.

Personally, I eat nothing on the list! And I still get around 100g/d carbs.

Edit: here it is for adults (almost the same as for kids):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9597026
  1. yeast bread
  2. soft drinks/soda
  3. cakes/cookies/ quick breads/doughnuts
  4. sugars/syrups/jams
  5. potatoes (white)
  6. ready-to-eat cereal
  7. pasta

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    When off the wagon, numbers 1, 3 and 6. I didn't think soft drinks would be up there with how many sugar free kinds there are today.

My kids get most of their carbs from bread and potatoes I expect.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Potatoes and ice cream are my usual high carb stuff. I'm a sucker for both.

Under normal circumstances, milk is the only other thing on that list that consume with any regularity, but it's always the highest fat source I can get my hands on and it's not nearly as much these days as what I used to consume.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Which of these do you eat now? Which do you eat when you fall off the wagon?

I eat number 10 on the list:

10. Reese's pumpkin...or egg...or xmas tree...

all depends on the season, respectively.

We do keep whole milk in the house & I will drink that on occassion, but only a juice glass amount. Nothing else on the list really.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was surprised candy and popcorn wasn't on there. The first time I tried low-carb (10 years ago), I refused to give up my morning cereal (Kashi) and milk. That was hard to let go.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Corn chips/custard-type sweets are my cryptonite, although very rare. Maybe popcorn once in a while. I think I got most of my carbs from fruit, sweet potatoes and various pumpkins and squashes.
  • CJ0821
    CJ0821 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do not eat or drink any of the above when doing well....but

Potatoes. Fried, Mashed, Baked, you name it.. that is all I want when I fall off the wagon.

And cookies. Chocolate chip. :/
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Ice cream ever &%$# Time
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well for me it was candy, so I guess #4 for sugars. Though I have remained tough and haven't had even 1 tiny candy since I started in May. Yay! I kicked those cravings bootaaay!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mine was soda pop and candy - 2 and 4 I guess. I greatly reduced most of the others a few years ago when I found out I was a celiac. Gluten-free foods just aren't as tasty, and they cost a fortune.

GF cookies and brownies are about as tasty though... I guess I should add #3. ;)

I haven't really fallen off the wagon yet though. I had a day above 50g carbs a while back from too many nuts, coconut and some xylitol sweetened chocolate chips, but it wasn't a bad slip. I still have a few tablespoons of those chocolate chips per week. It's a sugar fix, but it has been under control so far.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Milk is about it. I haven't fallen off the wagon, so can't attest to that. I do sometimes crave a good sweet potato at times though.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sweets weren't my weakness when I ate poorly, just general crappy eating, fast food with lots of breading and bread, etc. But now? If I fall off the wagon I will end up at Krispy Kreme literally every single day until I get back on, whether I'm off track for one day or one month.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I haven't fallen off the wagon either. The couple of cheats have been gelato and chocolate.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Top sources of carbs = Grocery stores, most aisles. :laugh:

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think if I fell off the wagon, it would be ice cream or sweet pasties like chocolate chip cookies.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It would be bread for me! But ever since starting keto in july I haven't eaten it, although it's baked every week in quantity in my house.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Almonds, dairy, celery and coconut flakes are currently my main source of carbs. I got into some sugar on ribs I had Saturday at a high school reunion but it only well dented my level of ketones. :)
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No "wagon fall offs" here, but occasional low carbohydrate foods: chocolate, coconut manna, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt. Staple low carb foods: low-carb marinara, salsa, kale, & avocado.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    sweets junk (ice cream or cake) and potatoes. I don't really miss bread much, thankfully. Not a fan of sodas or milk (always trigger my allergy drip). I can eat a tiny portion of potatoes or pasta without too much damage, as long as I pair it with high fats.

Never was a big fan of cereal , and about the sugar/jam thing I miss is chocolate syrup, and I could make that. I even found a recipe for "chocolate chips in ice cream" recipe from coconut oil and such... Haven't tried it yet.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I really miss bread. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't tolerate gluten very well, so I tend not to cheat with wheat.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When I've fallen of the wagon it would be 3-6 (adult list). At the moment I don't touch anything on either list. And I do still manage almost 100g carbs per day but those are almost all from fruits and vegetables.