Shannon gold butter?

Options
I found shannon gold butter at grocery outlet last night and picked up a box(half a pound) for myself on a whim. It's absolutely delicious, so I'll probably keep buying it. I was wondering if it's knock off kerrygold? If so has anyone tried both? If kerrygold is even better than this I might put some energy into finding it locally.

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    According to their website it's an "Irish style butter".

Not sure what that means exactly, but kerrygold is grass-fed which is why it is the preferred option for BPC.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I recently tried Kerrygold and it's amazing. I could eat it straight.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold is worth the price.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds wrong but I'm going to say it anyway ... I live in Northern Ireland and always am amazed at how amazed you all are about kerrygold - that's the way butter is supposed to be! Pretty much all butter is like that here and we would be horrified if you offered us something else that wasn't grass fed ( in the winter the cows are eating silage or haylage however as they aren't out in the fields, but indirect grass at least) - we assume butter will be grass fed here in Northern Ireland where the grass grows so well. It's not an amazing thing, it's that all the other products must be so debased that the real thing has somehow become special and "gourmet" and expensive. The world is upside down.

However we do also have all the butter replacement rubbish as well (flora and I can't believe it's not butter, etc - what a name) that's supposed to be "heart healthy" etc. I think they are the worst possible things you can eat for your health.

I'm not judging you guys, I'm sure you would choose grass fed butter as the norm if you could, just horrified to see where butter here will probably end up in a few decades as our trends tend to track yours. I hope we have the sense to keep butter the way it is now - grass fed as the norm.

I think the bad thing here is that our grass, although lush and green!, tends to be mono-cultural - I think meadow grass fed butter would be even better with a variety of grasses that the cows could eat.

Sorry for ranting - real butter is your right! But I appreciate it must be expensive if it's imported to you from Ireland. I should stop talking now.... :/
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Wish I could try some, we can't get Kerrygold where I live, have never tasted it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Not an option here either! Would love to try it though! Sounds so good!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I appreciate it must be expensive if it's imported to you from Ireland.

It's a shame it must be imported. Our poor cows. :(

But yes, most Americans - at best - only enjoy Land O'Lakes. At least that's cream-based butter. They now have "European Style" which uses a higher-fat cream to start. So that miiiight start to taste like butter ought to.

But yes, I lick the utensils after dishing out Kerrygold!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds wrong but I'm going to say it anyway ... I live in Northern Ireland and always am amazed at how amazed you all are about kerrygold - that's the way butter is supposed to be! Pretty much all butter is like that here and we would be horrified if you offered us something else that wasn't grass fed ( in the winter the cows are eating silage or haylage however as they aren't out in the fields, but indirect grass at least) - we assume butter will be grass fed here in Northern Ireland where the grass grows so well. It's not an amazing thing, it's that all the other products must be so debased that the real thing has somehow become special and "gourmet" and expensive. The world is upside down.

However we do also have all the butter replacement rubbish as well (flora and I can't believe it's not butter, etc - what a name) that's supposed to be "heart healthy" etc. I think they are the worst possible things you can eat for your health.

I'm not judging you guys, I'm sure you would choose grass fed butter as the norm if you could, just horrified to see where butter here will probably end up in a few decades as our trends tend to track yours. I hope we have the sense to keep butter the way it is now - grass fed as the norm.

I think the bad thing here is that our grass, although lush and green!, tends to be mono-cultural - I think meadow grass fed butter would be even better with a variety of grasses that the cows could eat.

Sorry for ranting - real butter is your right! But I appreciate it must be expensive if it's imported to you from Ireland. I should stop talking now.... :/

Well, I agree with you. The "real deal" shouldn't be a novelty for any food, but it is. We are the Kings and Queens of frankenfoods in the US. I am thankful that my local grocer has been starting to carry Kerrygold. Before, I could only buy the spreadable KG from Sam's Club. I eat it every day, so it is worth the cost.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I made some real whipped cream yesterday. And showed the ingredients to my kids versus their Cool Whip. 2 ingredients vs. 25. It's crazy. I keep Margarine around as my DH and DS are lactose intolerant. Ghee's price is ASTRONOMICAL here. With a family of 6 it isn't feasible. It costs as much to make. So I used my 2 ingredient real butter (cream and salt), and they (sparingly) use the margarine. It bothers me. But I do the best I can. I might try making ghee sometime. Time consuming. I'm about to start making non-dairy yogurt for ds11. As I homeschool, I only have so much time.

This aside, DH and the kids snack like fiends on frankenfood just before bed. Drives me nuts! I may rebel soon. Being the healthiest-eating person in the house is a weird and precarious place to be in. If I voice my concern too loudly, I run the risk of being labeled a zealot and a member of the "low-carb-cult." Actual things said to me by DH. :rage: Ok. Fine. Eat the garbage. At some point, I'm going to lose patience with it in the interest of the kids' health.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Wish I could try some, we can't get Kerrygold where I live, have never tasted it.
    Karlottap wrote: »

I don't know where y'all are, but most Walmart stores carry Kerrygold now... Gold or silver package (silver is unsalted and gold is salted, if I recall). It's usually in a small "corner" of the butter section, but I've also noticed another "grassfed brand" but I hadn't paid attention to the name...

The problem is that everything in the US (in general) has become about profit, and it's cheaper for agriculture to pen up cows and feed them grains and crap, and take out most of the cream for heavy cream and find every possible corner to cut. For 1 pound of butter, I can generally get it for around $3-$4 for the generic brand. For the Kerrygold, for half that, it is the same price or higher. So yes, it's ridiculous around here, but most folks really just started raising a ruckus about it. We got away from farm fresh stuff for the most part, and so we didn't know what we were missing.

Not even talking about the fake plastic stuff... Just butter, but with all the good stuff stripped, because they could get away with it and increase their profits. Honestly, the cost of butter is getting to the point where making my own from heavy cream and keeping the whey for fermenting veggies is seeming more and more likely, but my heavy cream isn't grassfed either. It's bad enough cost wise without all that!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I'm pretty sure we can't get kerrygold in Canada. :(

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

I don't know where y'all are, but most Walmart stores carry Kerrygold now... Gold or silver package (silver is unsalted and gold is salted, if I recall). It's usually in a small "corner" of the butter section, but I've also noticed another "grassfed brand" but I hadn't paid attention to the name...

The problem is that everything in the US (in general) has become about profit, and it's cheaper for agriculture to pen up cows and feed them grains and crap, and take out most of the cream for heavy cream and find every possible corner to cut.

They think it's cheaper. I swear if they actually worked it out with a pencil and paper theyd figure out they're paying as much if not more to the vet and for antibiotics at every turn as they would be for grass seeds and irrigation water.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada too, can't get it here in Manitoba.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Definitely staying with Kerrygold butter and cheese. Fairly cheap at Costco.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

The problem is that everything in the US (in general) has become about profit, and it's cheaper for agriculture to pen up cows and feed them grains and crap, and take out most of the cream for heavy cream and find every possible corner to cut. For 1 pound of butter, I can generally get it for around $3-$4 for the generic brand. For the Kerrygold, for half that, it is the same price or higher. So yes, it's ridiculous around here, but most folks really just started raising a ruckus about it. We got away from farm fresh stuff for the most part, and so we didn't know what we were missing.

Not even talking about the fake plastic stuff... Just butter, but with all the good stuff stripped, because they could get away with it and increase their profits. Honestly, the cost of butter is getting to the point where making my own from heavy cream and keeping the whey for fermenting veggies is seeming more and more likely, but my heavy cream isn't grassfed either. It's bad enough cost wise without all that!

It's going the same way here too for profits. I'm not meaning to judge. Probably only got grass Fed cows because grass is the best crop we can grow in Ireland! Are there areas of the US where cows are grass Fed?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

It's going the same way here too for profits. I'm not meaning to judge. Probably only got grass Fed cows because grass is the best crop we can grow in Ireland! Are there areas of the US where cows are grass Fed?

As far as I know in the USA close to 100% of milk cows get grain a milking time (2x Daily) even if they are grass feed. I expect the same may be true in Ireland.

Butter must be good for hitting ketosis. At bed time I drank 4 oz (400 calories) of 36% butter fat Heavy Whipping Cream and blew a 0.091 my $15 breath analyzer this morning where I call 0.050 OK. 0.081 was the previous record. I did not dig out my ketone strips to measure the blood level.

• inspirationstation
    Options
    Oh yes, Kerrygold cheese is yummy. Ballyshannon is my favorite. Sam's Club carries that and the Dubliner in a nice big block.
  • inspirationstation
    Options

I live in the North, so we are buried under snow for several months per year. We do have some grass-fed farms here in MI, but many are grain "finished" or supplemented due to the weather.