Where were you a year ago today?

Options

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Great thread! A year ago I was already 9 months into keto. I actually weigh about 10 pounds more right now than I did then due to a difficult summer where I gained 30 pounds back.

But I think I am much healthier right now anyway. I've been working out pretty consistently over the last year and have been through 3 physical therapists to work on problems I had developed. Thanks to the PT I'm down to just one prescription med daily and feel like I can do anything if I work at it
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was serving that third dish with dinner every night... either potatoes, rice or bread. I was a Jillian Michaels junkie... hoping that in 30 days I really could achieve results like they promise (did not happen)! I was obsessively counting calories, bloated, spacey, anxious, and wondering why the scale never budged.

Doing much better a year later. I stopped calorie counting cold turkey 3 months ago (when I started LC). I eat meat and veggies, lots of them. I love butter and bacon and cook with bacon fat and coconut oil. I don't stress over the rare pasta night or pizza crust. I can walk right by the donut/bagel breakfast at work every Friday and not even flinch! I lift weights and walk alot more. I am more efficient at work because I have better focus.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I was 260 having lost 30 doing Atkins. Now 170 w/ 20-15 to go doing a strict keto which I started in beginning of March after stalling for several months. Today I'm off statins and cholesterol meds and no longer have diabetes.
    I am currently stalled with losing, but having met my original goal of 175, my vanity wants me to take it down to high school jeans weight! But no more pressure, just because with this way of life, I can. I feel so happy and sexy again, with an added bonus of healthy! I am currently wrapping my mind around keeping to this lifestyle for life. I know if I let it go, the pounds will race to pack on again as they have so many times before. I think recording and weighing daily has been the key to keeping my food issues at bay. Dealing with good and bad feelings daily based on losses, stalls, and regains has helped me face up to the connection between food and feelings and how my fat helped me to hide from pain and fear for so many damned years. I wish luck and success to all who find themselves on this particular journey. It's not easy!!! Thank you to all my fitness pals who have been with me in spirit the whole way.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Last year at this time, I was heading into my highest weight in over 6 years. I started LC around March 2015 after realizing that my weight was out of control and I had to do something ASAP!

One thing I don't like about MFP is that I can only see a chart going back one year. I have been tracking my weight every week since January 2009. You can pretty much circle high emotional, very stressful dates to the week. During my divorce my weight steadily increased. I tried a stint with WW July-Oct 2013. Now that I'm starting a new life and much happier, I finally feel like I am getting my life back. It took me a while to figure things out, but I'm feeling great heading into 2016.
    8apolrdczfrz.jpg
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    About where I was last year and the year before, give or take 5 pounds. Which would be fantastic! Except I'm not trying to maintain, I keep trying to get rid of this last 20+ pounds!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was 30 lbs heavier. I was pretty depressed as my youngest daughter was in jail and is expecting to get 25 to life (still there), although I had been suffering mild depression it was getting much worse. I had also been having some urinary issues for a few years. I saw some articles regarding LCHF benefits for both depression and for inflammatory diseases in January. After reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek, I decided to give it a try. My wife left in January but I still stuck with the diet and I am pleased with all the benefits. I really think it's helped my depression, prostate issues and joint pain. Although I'm still not the most happy camper, I figure that's to be expected with what's going on in my life.

The weight loss is great but the other benefits are even more gratifying. My goal is to eat this way for life.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    A year ago I was 30 lbs heavier. I was pretty depressed as my youngest daughter was in jail and is expecting to get 25 to life (still there), although I had been suffering mild depression it was getting much worse. I had also been having some urinary issues for a few years. I saw some articles regarding LCHF benefits for both depression and for inflammatory diseases in January. After reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek, I decided to give it a try. My wife left in January but I still stuck with the diet and I am pleased with all the benefits. I really think it's helped my depression, prostate issues and joint pain. Although I'm still not the most happy camper, I figure that's to be expected with what's going on in my life.

The weight loss is great but the other benefits are even more gratifying. My goal is to eat this way for life.

Goodness, @Fvaisey!! Sending you huge hugs. To have stuck with a plan through those tough times speaks loads about your character!! Congrats on some many things. I hope things get better for you soon.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    A year ago today, I had already lost 51lb doing keto but was just over making it into ONEderland at 201lb.
    Now I've lost almost 97lb total. :) I've pretty much moved into ONEderland and built a house. :tongue:
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    A year ago I weighed 3kg less than I do now. I let my guard down over Xmas, and it turned into a 14kg gain before I got it under control again. All from thinking "it's only one day". This year I'm not going to let that happen.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    One year ago, Oct 2014..... I was struggling with all kinds of hormonal issues, I was quite miserable. Tired all the time, not sleeping well, hot flashes, brain fog, racing heart, feeling like I was one raw nerve away from a nervous breakdown, etc etc. My weight was 162. Not horrible, just over the line into "overweight" on the BMI charts. Our scale broke in December and I didn't buy a new one. In May 2015 when my SO was starting Atkins on doctor's recommendation and I started eating lower carb too, I was completely surprised when ALL of those hormonal issues either decreased or disappeared altogether. I bought a new scale about 2 weeks into this woe and my weight was 164 (it may have been higher before that, I don't know). Now I'm at 150, and 3 notches on my belt smaller, and in the normal weight range on the BMI chart. I consider the weight loss as a bonus, I'm mainly doing it because I don't feel like crap anymore. I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, but I'm not worried about it (The SO lost 50 pounds so far). I have to believe that I'm much healthier, I certainly feel far better.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Such great stories from everyone! Way to go!

A year ago, I was gaining weight to get to my heaviest ever (which came in March this year). Not much weight compared to the amazing stories here, but I was starting to notice most of my pants/jeans weren't fitting,and had to buy a couple pair in a larger size. Was experiencing regular rosacea flare-ups, IBS issues, and was self-medicating depression with cheez-its and booze.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    LuizH wrote: »
    Probably a bit over a year between these two photos I think. This time last year I was stressing about how I was going to manage to lose enough weight to feel comfortable on the beach on my holidays. I worked out solidly for 5 weeks and lost NO WEIGHT, I was 25 pounds heavier than I am now. It may not have been a pretty sight but I still wore my bikini on the beach one time. Last night I was trying out all of last years clothes to see which I can carry over to my holiday this year. The answer is none! I need to buy all new so I have ordered a selection of bikinis, I intend to wear a different one to the beach every day :-)
    <snip>
    Pic 2 is with my beautiful new niece this past weekend:
    cteqsopjr667.jpg

Ok, you're young in both pics, but this one you look SO young, I was thinking you were a teenager or the baby sitter! What a transformation Luiz! Way to go !

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    1 year ago: same shape, same weight roughly. Keto for Konsistency...I can't complain. I take it as a win as looking the same but having more knowledge & experience
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    LuizH wrote: »
    Probably a bit over a year between these two photos I think. This time last year I was stressing about how I was going to manage to lose enough weight to feel comfortable on the beach on my holidays. I worked out solidly for 5 weeks and lost NO WEIGHT, I was 25 pounds heavier than I am now. It may not have been a pretty sight but I still wore my bikini on the beach one time. Last night I was trying out all of last years clothes to see which I can carry over to my holiday this year. The answer is none! I need to buy all new so I have ordered a selection of bikinis, I intend to wear a different one to the beach every day :-)
    <snip>
    Pic 2 is with my beautiful new niece this past weekend:
    cteqsopjr667.jpg

Ok, you're young in both pics, but this one you look SO young, I was thinking you were a teenager or the baby sitter! What a transformation Luiz! Way to go !

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 198.5, 115.5 pounds down, 19.5 to go. 13 months on diet

Lol! This makes me happier than you could ever know ;) (it's lucky the camera isn't good enough to pick up the wrinkles around my eyes)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I hit a high from my low two years prior after losing over 100#. I took a new position at work three years ago & stress ate my way back up 40#+.

Now, I'm down 25 of that 40# gain & still coming down...hope to be close to my goal by the end of the year, if not hitting it. I'm avoiding the scale & enjoying fitting into my smaller clothes instead.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was 30 pounds lighter a year ago and 45 pounds lighter 6 months before that. I have learned this year that no matter how wonderful the way of eating, the eating disorder can still win and destroy all of your hard work. If I ever get back to my low weight, you will not hear me say "Never Again". I have fought a monster all my life. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose... But I never stop trying.
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    I was about 40-50 pounds heavier

I lose slowly

I gained it slowly so I'm fine with it.

What a nice line of personal success stories !!

Awesome!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    One year ago, Oct 2014..... I was struggling with all kinds of hormonal issues, I was quite miserable. Tired all the time, not sleeping well, hot flashes, brain fog, racing heart, feeling like I was one raw nerve away from a nervous breakdown, etc etc. My weight was 162. Not horrible, just over the line into "overweight" on the BMI charts. Our scale broke in December and I didn't buy a new one. In May 2015 when my SO was starting Atkins on doctor's recommendation and I started eating lower carb too, I was completely surprised when ALL of those hormonal issues either decreased or disappeared altogether. I bought a new scale about 2 weeks into this woe and my weight was 164 (it may have been higher before that, I don't know). Now I'm at 150, and 3 notches on my belt smaller, and in the normal weight range on the BMI chart. I consider the weight loss as a bonus, I'm mainly doing it because I don't feel like crap anymore. I wouldn't mind losing a few more pounds, but I'm not worried about it (The SO lost 50 pounds so far). I have to believe that I'm much healthier, I certainly feel far better.

Hmm...food for thought - new pre-menopausal/menopausal treatments: High fat diet? I know it can restore and regulate cycles in the childbearing aged crowd. I hadn't thought about the other implications... Interesting. Anyone else have input on this?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Hmm...food for thought - new pre-menopausal/menopausal treatments: High fat diet? I know it can restore and regulate cycles in the childbearing aged crowd. I hadn't thought about the other implications... Interesting. Anyone else have input on this?

For me, it seems to have sped things up. My cycles now look perimenopausal, and closer together. It could be a coincidence though. I am approaching THAT age.

... it's not fair that women hit puberty twice. ;)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

From what I have read, it has to do with the hormonal imbalances causing insulin resistance which sends the hormonal balances even farther out of whack, one of which is cortisol. By eating LCHF, you reduce the insulin resistance so it fixes some of the worst of the fluctuations.