C25K, W2, D1 (Week 2, Day 1) starts TODAY!

Options
DeeDiddyGee
DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Good morning, C25Kers!

Today starts Week 2, Day 1 of the C25K program.

The schedule for W2 is as follows:
  • Brisk 5 minute warmup walk
  • Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes
  • Cool down for 5 minutes
  • Done! :)

I will be doing this after work tonight and will report back.

Wish me luck!

:)

Replies

• lorengetsfit
    lorengetsfit Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You got this! Overall, I enjoyed W2. I started W3 today and it was pretty tough (run 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes). I run at 5-5.5 mph, but I think it would be beneficial for me to slow down so that I can focus on my breathing. It's a bit difficult/awkward for me to run at a slower pace, though. Depending on how this week goes, I may repeat it. Also, once I finish 5 weeks of C25K I am rewarding myself with a pair of new running shoes! I'm excited to have my stride analyzed and get a pair of good shoes!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Also, once I finish 5 weeks of C25K I am rewarding myself with a pair of new running shoes! I'm excited to have my stride analyzed and get a pair of good shoes!

A reward is GREAT motivation. I have a reward for every 10 lbs I lose. I just lost my first 10 lbs and rewarded myself with some new Cadillacs for My Feet (Saucony's).

I am only walking at 2.8/jogging at 3.0 because the program suggests going slow so you can finish the whole segment. I was running faster but found myself struggling with the whole 30 minutes. If I were to run at 5-5.5 mph like you are, I would probably DIE. Breathing has been an issue during this high-allergy time for me. I am grateful just to hear "you finished" at the end of each segment.

We've got this!!! HOW IS EVERYONE ELSE DOING?
  • dharvey27
    dharvey27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new to being a part of a group on MFP. I am 1 year post op from Achilles Tendon repair. I am tired of not being able to hike, run, etc. I am fed up with the weight I have gained due to inactivity. I had lost 40 lbs 2 years ago and have gained it all back! I started walking 3 nights per week last week and would like to start running again, but hesitant to go to fast too soon. This program sounds like it will work for me at least get me moving again and strengthen my muscles! I look forward to motivation and accountability!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    dharvey27 wrote: »
    Hello! I am new to being a part of a group on MFP. I am 1 year post op from Achilles Tendon repair. I am tired of not being able to hike, run, etc. I am fed up with the weight I have gained due to inactivity. I had lost 40 lbs 2 years ago and have gained it all back! I started walking 3 nights per week last week and would like to start running again, but hesitant to go to fast too soon. This program sounds like it will work for me at least get me moving again and strengthen my muscles! I look forward to motivation and accountability!

Welcome! If you need the schedule, you can download it at www.c25k.com. Also, I post the schedule as each week starts. Yesterday, we started Week 2, but you don't have to catch up to us...you can just go at your own pace. I don't think any of us on here are runners -- in fact I am new to "wogging" (walking/jogging). I walk on the treadmill at 2.8 and "jog" at 3.0. Very slow. If you find you can't complete Week 1, start over and go even slower. Nobody to have to impress here...We are all just trying to be a little more active.

For your convenience, here are the schedules for Weeks 1 and 2:

Week 1 (Do the same thing 3 days with a day in between for resting)
    • 5 minute brisk walking for warmup
    • Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes
    • 5 minute cool down (slooooow walking)
    • Congrats! You did it!

Week 2
    • 5 minute brisk walking for warmup
    • Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes
    • 5 minute cool down (sloooow walking)
    • Good job! If you're still with us, Week 3 will be posted on Monday, October 12th

Have fun!
  • lorengetsfit
    Options

Welcome to the group! I'm on week 3 of the program and it has definitely helped me get back into exercise! I look forward to cheering you on! :)

I am only walking at 2.8/jogging at 3.0 because the program suggests going slow so you can finish the whole segment. I was running faster but found myself struggling with the whole 30 minutes. If I were to run at 5-5.5 mph like you are, I would probably DIE. Breathing has been an issue during this high-allergy time for me. I am grateful just to hear "you finished" at the end of each segment.

We've got this!!! HOW IS EVERYONE ELSE DOING?

I definitely think that it's more beneficial to finish at a slower speed, versus running faster and not being able to finish. I am going to try to stick to 5.0 mph, but I get these bursts of energy where I feel like I need to go faster, haha! A few years ago I was able to run up to 20 minutes without stopping and I think the highest I was going was 4.8 mph.

I was going to workout this morning, but was unable to. I usually rest on Wednesdays, but I will be doing W3D2 tomorrow.

• DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    I was going to workout this morning, but was unable to. I usually rest on Wednesdays, but I will be doing W3D2 tomorrow.

I am resting today, too. Although part of me wants to "cheat" and do W2, D2 tonight...
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I did the first workout last Saturday morning, after getting some great (and much needed) encouragement from MFP community. I knew it'd be a bit of a shock after so many years out of shape, but I want to get over my hatred of running :D

I was very proud of myself for completing the first workout without cheating at all. I was a hot, sweaty mess by the end of it, but a happy hot sweaty mess :p
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Mangsney wrote: »
    I did the first workout last Saturday morning, after getting some great (and much needed) encouragement from MFP community. I knew it'd be a bit of a shock after so many years out of shape, but I want to get over my hatred of running :D

I was very proud of myself for completing the first workout without cheating at all. I was a hot, sweaty mess by the end of it, but a happy hot sweaty mess :p

WE are proud of YOU, too!
  • lorengetsfit
    Options

Awesome job! It feels great to complete the workout!
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ooops, I goofed when I posted in this thread before (instead of Week 1, Day 1...) :p

Anyway, I did Week 2, Day 1 today. I know I said last night that I would be repeating Week 1, Day 3 again, but this morning I changed my mind. I was feeling utterly miserable yesterday so I thought I ought to push myself today. And what do you know, I didn't die! :D
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Ooops, I goofed when I posted in this thread before (instead of Week 1, Day 1...) :p

Anyway, I did Week 2, Day 1 today. I know I said last night that I would be repeating Week 1, Day 3 again, but this morning I changed my mind. I was feeling utterly miserable yesterday so I thought I ought to push myself today. And what do you know, I didn't die! :D

Glad you didn't die...that would be a real buzz kill! B)