What supplements are you taking?

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I'm only on week two but so far I only take krill oil, vitamin d (I'm deficient), and Move Free Ultra. I had a bad experience with magnesium in the past. I probably should add a multi. I try to use a lot of the pink Himalayan salt and drink broth.

@anglyn1 Most likely you took the wrong kind of magnesium. Oxide is what they use for patients before a colonoscopy, so it makes people have diarrhea many times. It is also the cheapest one, and you can get it at any grocer or pharmacy, but it is horrible on side effects. Get Citrate or another better available form (link to post in @DittoDan's post).

And as point of reference for anyone wanting to take ACV for gut health, make sure you get Bragg's or one "with the mother." It is naturally creative and has probiotic effect.

Also, has anyone seen that Heinz now has a "with the mother" version of apple cider vinegar? I was wondering if anyone has tried it.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Magnesium ascorbate and sodium ascorbate mainly. And a high power probiotic, Probactiol +, which has vitamin D added to it.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin daily... also vitamin d3, omega-3s and occasionally BCAAs and/or whey protein.

I drink a mug of beef broth if I'm worried about sodium (usually before a hot yoga class)...

Potassium and magnesium I prefer to get from whole foods like avocados and dark chocolate. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I'm only on week two but so far I only take krill oil, vitamin d (I'm deficient), and Move Free Ultra. I had a bad experience with magnesium in the past. I probably should add a multi. I try to use a lot of the pink Himalayan salt and drink broth.

@anglyn1 Most likely you took the wrong kind of magnesium. Oxide is what they use for patients before a colonoscopy, so it makes people have diarrhea many times. It is also the cheapest one, and you can get it at any grocer or pharmacy, but it is horrible on side effects. Get Citrate or another better available form (link to post in @DittoDan's post).

And as point of reference for anyone wanting to take ACV for gut health, make sure you get Bragg's or one "with the mother." It is naturally creative and has probiotic effect.

Also, has anyone seen that Heinz now has a "with the mother" version of apple cider vinegar? I was wondering if anyone has tried it.

I've seen that Heinz with the mother, but not in s small enough bottle for trying. They should sell trial sizes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I've seen that Heinz with the mother, but not in s small enough bottle for trying. They should sell trial sizes.

Right?!? It's the super jumbo enormous size. I would be reluctant on the simple basis that it is in a plastic (food grade or not) bottle, whereas Bragg's is ALWAYS in glass...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options

I actually took the natural calm.... Only a third of the pack too but reacted pretty violently!

I've only bought Bragg's and Spectrum organic with the mother. I haven't seen the Heinz yet!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    Options

I actually took the natural calm.... Only a third of the pack too but reacted pretty violently!

I've only bought Bragg's and Spectrum organic with the mother. I haven't seen the Heinz yet!

With magnesium, if you don't need as much, you can actually alternate days. That's what my doctor had me try after I messed myself in my sleep on day 3 when I tried to supplement originally. She then said 1/2 a pill every other day or every third day, etc. until I got used to it. Because there are so many different different magnesium types, I'd say it is well worth the experiment. So many different kinds work differently for different metabolisms.

EDITED TO ADD: I would suggest getting your blood work tested for magnesium and the other stuff in Natural Calm though, before trying again. You may not be deficient at all...which supplementing could have you dumping other electrolytes you need. That happens for me when I add potassium (which I don't need), it makes me dump magnesium (which I do need).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    With magnesium, if you don't need as much, you can actually alternate days. That's what my doctor had me try after I messed myself in my sleep on day 3 when I tried to supplement originally. She then said 1/2 a pill every other day or every third day, etc. until I got used to it. Because there are so many different different magnesium types, I'd say it is well worth the experiment. So many different kinds work differently for different metabolisms.

EDITED TO ADD: I would suggest getting your blood work tested for magnesium and the other stuff in Natural Calm though, before trying again. You may not be deficient at all...which supplementing could have you dumping other electrolytes you need. That happens for me when I add potassium (which I don't need), it makes me dump magnesium (which I do need).

A few months ago all my magnesium levels were good. The only thing I was deficient in was vitamin D. I think I'll try the Magnesium Glycinate. I had brain surgery 3 years ago and as a result of my neck muscles being cut open they are weak and are prone to spasms so I was thinking some form of magnesium might help and from Dan's link this seems easily absorbed with less stomach issues. Thanks for all your help on this! I didn't meant to hijack the thread! lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

A few months ago all my magnesium levels were good. The only thing I was deficient in was vitamin D. I think I'll try the Magnesium Glycinate. I had brain surgery 3 years ago and as a result of my neck muscles being cut open they are weak and are prone to spasms so I was thinking some form of magnesium might help and from Dan's link this seems easily absorbed with less stomach issues. Thanks for all your help on this! I didn't meant to hijack the thread! lol

When you get the D3, getting a micellized (liquid) or sublingual (liquid that absorbs under the tongue) can really aid with absorption. My local specialty pharmacy carries at D3 + K2 that I'm loving... It's a micellized liquid that I just add in with my morning hot or cold beverage - anything but water (it has a mild flavor that's masked by everything else, but I can do it in a 2 oz "shot" dose of water if needed). Or you can always try Jessica's therapy - 15-30 minutes of direct sun between 9-11 am on arms, face, and neck... It seems to be working well!!

D3, as well as B12, and a few other vitamins/minerals can affect muscles/spasms too, so if you didn't get a detailed bloodwork done previously, it might be something to look at... Also, there was a discussion here previously about how the magnesium measured in serum is not a great look at magnesium levels, because it's mostly stored, etc., so adding small levels back in is a great experiment! Wishing you luck.

I find myself more and more frustrated and disenfranchised over the fact that despite eating well, we are all so deficient in nutrients due to the way the farming/agricultural industry has gone with not rotating/resting fields - alternate means of feeding animals produced for consumption and all that. Makes me long for "back in the day!"
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I take tumeric, fish oil, b12, vitamin d, multi or flinestone chewable, magnesium and use lo-salt for the potassium on my food.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Multi Vit
    Fish Oil
    D3
    Mag in the evening
    Sodium via broth
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin (but not specifically because of low carb, just because I think eating at a calorie deficit makes it a good idea). I also take vitamin D (I avoid the sun and always wear a high spf). I recently started taking magnesium. I also use more salt and the light salt for potassium.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mg-citrate, zinc gluconate, omega-3FA, iCap (being optimistic, similar to AREDS formula but stronger in the MVI components), melatonin (seasonally), biotin (seasonally), & currently experimenting with CLA. Way less compared to when I was a supplement "junky"

Bizarre how similar everyones' stacks are
    I might play around with phytonadione after reading more into it...seems like a me too vitamin or overhyped from quackery for right now
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    D3, K2, CoCu10, Mag, Biotin, Inositol, Fermented Cod Liver Oil
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »

Where do you get your FCLO? Online? I've been wanting to try it, but I'm a scaredy cat, and I don't have a way to buy online atm... LOL What do you use it for? I've heard it's amazing!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Where do you get your FCLO? Online? I've been wanting to try it, but I'm a scaredy cat, and I don't have a way to buy online atm... LOL What do you use it for? I've heard it's amazing!

To my knowledge, the only people who make it are Green Pastures. As far as I know, they only sell online, but you might be able to find it or special order it from places like Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods. They do offer it via Amazon, so you could buy a gift card from Kroger or Giant Eagle or whatever and buy it that way.

We personally get the pill form (specifically, the FCLO+butter oil version). It does have a bit of a fishy aftertaste, so be warned if you don't like fish.

I can't speak for the other person, but we use it for dental health, primarily (yay, K2!), though the Omegas in it no doubt have their benefits, too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    these days:
    Magnesium citrate
    Vitamin D
    progesterone :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

To my knowledge, the only people who make it are Green Pastures. As far as I know, they only sell online, but you might be able to find it or special order it from places like Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods. They do offer it via Amazon, so you could buy a gift card from Kroger or Giant Eagle or whatever and buy it that way.

We personally get the pill form (specifically, the FCLO+butter oil version). It does have a bit of a fishy aftertaste, so be warned if you don't like fish.

I can't speak for the other person, but we use it for dental health, primarily (yay, K2!), though the Omegas in it no doubt have their benefits, too.

So since I already take a supplement with D3 + K2, and I'm regularly adding hemp protein, chia seeds, and the occasional golden flax meal to my smoothies and such, what exactly would I be missing out of the mix? I'm just trying to figure out... I can't recall why I was after FCLO in the beginning - natural sunscreen supplement aka WellnessMama I think, maybe?

EDITED TO ADD: I also drink 4+ oz of Kombucha daily, and have dabbled with sauerkraut.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    K2 is relative new to me. Google it if you do not take it. Talking Vit D3 (especially if taking calcium) without K2 may lead to artery and heart disease/attack.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

So since I already take a supplement with D3 + K2, and I'm regularly adding hemp protein, chia seeds, and the occasional golden flax meal to my smoothies and such, what exactly would I be missing out of the mix? I'm just trying to figure out... I can't recall why I was after FCLO in the beginning - natural sunscreen supplement aka WellnessMama I think, maybe?

EDITED TO ADD: I also drink 4+ oz of Kombucha daily, and have dabbled with sauerkraut.

The Omega-3 fats are the big benefit for any fish oil supplement. FCLO also has vitamin A and D in it naturally (as opposed to added back in) and in the right proportion to be safe (less likely to reach toxicity levels unless you ingest like half the bottle or something). The Omega-3 in fish oil is also in the more bioavailable DHA and EPA, as opposed to the not-so-bioavailable ALA form found in flax and chia. You may or may not save money by switching to the fish/butter oil supplement, but it is, in my opinion, the better money spent.

Katie (WellnessMama) loves FCLO, so you very likely read about it at least once on her site if you frequent it. As I recall, while it's not usually taken for the sunscreen effect, many people do report better sun tolerance when taking it (my husband, a card-carrying ginger, even has noticeably better sun tolerance, to the point that he actually tanned this year and didn't burn as much).