Losing nicely but tummy still there

Options

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Similar in a small way to one of Kitnthecat's points.... I recall watching an interview with Jamie Lee Curtis years ago discussing, in part, all the multiple efforts she made cosmetically and her vowing to never do more again... What I remember most vividly was her mention of liposuction and that you never regain fat in that area again, which causes any new fat deposits to simply go around those spots which potentially looks quite unnatural and possibly bizarre.

So many things to consider.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's a good point. I do have a small indent where my incision line is. But it's not too bad. It's the weird feeling like a fishing line is strung around me pulling that is the hardest part. I don't know if losing more weight will help, but one can hope. Ohh... There goes that odd itching again.... I am hoping that the small amount of puffiness outside of the lipo zones go down a bit more as I continue to lose weight.

Lol, this sounds like a botched Hallowe'en experimental surgery.... It doesn't really look as bad as I describe. The scars are part of me. And the way the surgery was done has sculpted my stomach, hips and lower abdomen near the groin in a way that it is not likely achievable without surgery. It's just that it has changed the ways body feels. If you guys were here, I'd give you a peek
  • MissMaggieElizabeth
    Options
    My stomach started to flatten out when I had lost 45 to 50 pounds. It is a long way from flat. It is getting better. not sure it will ever be flat like when I was young again. It no longer bulges like a roll when I wear jeans. I still have 34 more pounds to go. Who knows how it will look when those pounds are gone.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My stomach started to flatten out when I had lost 45 to 50 pounds. It is a long way from flat. It is getting better. not sure it will ever be flat like when I was young again. It no longer bulges like a roll when I wear jeans. I still have 34 more pounds to go. Who knows how it will look when those pounds are gone.

That's encouraging - I'm at 42 lbs lost and am really keen for my belly to flatten out. I am aiming to have lost another 9lbs by Christmas, so it's nice to have the potential for a more comfortable fit for my trousers/pants. Of course, everyone's different and it may not pan out for me as it did for you, but I'll have it in my mind anyway. Thanks for posting that!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Yes, that's a good point. I do have a small indent where my incision line is. But it's not too bad. It's the weird feeling like a fishing line is strung around me pulling that is the hardest part. I don't know if losing more weight will help, but one can hope. Ohh... There goes that odd itching again.... I am hoping that the small amount of puffiness outside of the lipo zones go down a bit more as I continue to lose weight.

Lol, this sounds like a botched Hallowe'en experimental surgery.... It doesn't really look as bad as I describe. The scars are part of me. And the way the surgery was done has sculpted my stomach, hips and lower abdomen near the groin in a way that it is not likely achievable without surgery. It's just that it has changed the ways body feels. If you guys were here, I'd give you a peek

How close were you to goal when you had this done? I'm planning on consulting next year for myself, but I want to be completely down to goal first, thinking that will net me the best results.

Did you also have to have any muscle recontruction with it? I've read those that have had children, it's sometimes necessary along with the abdominoplasty. That won't be an issue with me, just curious due to your pain levels.

I'm also curious how long the healing process was, before you could get back to normal activities and/or work? I'm a key person at work and it will be difficult taking any amount of time off.

Thanks for any insight, apologies if too personal.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    I have had two children and was what I considered to be near goal weight back then. It was a matter of having so much excess skin that I felt urgency to be rid of it. I did intend to lose more weight afterwards, but that didn't happen.

I don't mind answering questions at all, no worries. I did have muscle reconstruction as well. My muscles still feel tight surprisingly. I took about 6 weeks off work, and had to wear a very tight compression garment for at least a couple of months and had to limit activity, no exercise. I felt like I was going to fall apart without the compression garment.

I have heard of someone I know who had a smaller operation who was off work for 3 weeks with hers. This was no picnic to recover from. I can't remember how long the drains were in, maybe 10 days to 2 weeks, that was gross.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm only 12 lbs to goal and I have quite a lot of floppy belly fat/skin. Many years ago I was 205 and got down to 145 and maintained that for a few years then went back and forth from 165 to 155 for a few more years until starting Keto in May at 164. I'm at 138 now and I don't know how to make my belly look good or even decent. I'm able to wear a 7/8 jeans but I still have a loose floppy belly :(
    I heard that Dave Asprey uses hydrolyzed collagen and whole body vibration and credits it to tightening up his extra skin. Is anyone familiar with any such claims?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Remember, too, that there is the genetic component especially for women to carry extra fat in the belly. It has to do with species survival and carrying children even in times of famine, so genetically, we are wired to have a bit of extra fat stored there in case of emergencies. It is hard coded genetic stuff.

Just some perspectives about bellies... When I remember that a certain amount of belly is protecting my health, I can accept it a little easier.

Another tidbit about bellies from my family. If you've had children and have a muffin top or some flab/loose skin/whatever, own that *kitten*. Yeah, it's not societies standard of beauty but so what? That belly carried one or more wonderful little humans and it's a badge of honor. Enjoy the flatness while you're young, but after kids, enjoy them more than you worry about what they left behind.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Remember, too, that there is the genetic component especially for women to carry extra fat in the belly. It has to do with species survival and carrying children even in times of famine, so genetically, we are wired to have a bit of extra fat stored there in case of emergencies. It is hard coded genetic stuff.

Just some perspectives about bellies... When I remember that a certain amount of belly is protecting my health, I can accept it a little easier.

Another tidbit about bellies from my family. If you've had children and have a muffin top or some flab/loose skin/whatever, own that *kitten*. Yeah, it's not societies standard of beauty but so what? That belly carried one or more wonderful little humans and it's a badge of honor. Enjoy the flatness while you're young, but after kids, enjoy them more than you worry about what they left behind.

That's lovely. My little humans like my jiggly belly. Maybe they're fond of their old home!
  • JodehFoster
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I have had two children and was what I considered to be near goal weight back then. It was a matter of having so much excess skin that I felt urgency to be rid of it. I did intend to lose more weight afterwards, but that didn't happen.

I don't mind answering questions at all, no worries. I did have muscle reconstruction as well. My muscles still feel tight surprisingly. I took about 6 weeks off work, and had to wear a very tight compression garment for at least a couple of months and had to limit activity, no exercise. I felt like I was going to fall apart without the compression garment.

I have heard of someone I know who had a smaller operation who was off work for 3 weeks with hers. This was no picnic to recover from. I can't remember how long the drains were in, maybe 10 days to 2 weeks, that was gross.

I appreciate your comments Kitn!
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    Where did my comment go? Glad to help.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My tummy is still very saggy and baggy. I used to blame it on having c-sections, but know it was "hanging out" long before I had babies.

This is me at 107.5kg, so I had lost 7.5kg at this point. I was sucking my tummy in as HARD as I could, like, felt my face going red I was sucking so hard. Look how enormous it is!

DSC_2637_zpsczaglp4w.jpg

I don't take pics of me in my undies these days (yuck), but this is another "old me versus me now". My tummy is still very big, it still sticks out, now in two rolls, charming...and it still hangs like a sack of spuds. But gosh, I do think I look a bit better. I'm starting to not care about my stupid tummy. It will keep improving as I keep losing weight anyway and nothing I can do about it. It used to hang so low that it covered my pubic...er...area...and stuck out way further than my boobs. It certainly seems to be the last thing to go, along side my massive upper arms.

Before I was about 105kg, other one is me today at 75.5kg. Not my lowest weight but I'm recovering from a carb overload :-). I only just managed to button these jeans, they are cutting into my gut.

Large%20Michelle%20and%20now%20Michelle_zpske2tox8t.png

Good luck!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @minties82! Your hard work is certainly showing!!! Health is radiating from your face now too! You should be very proud of yourself! :smiley:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    @minties82 You look great!
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    @minties82 you have done awesomely. I started at about the same as you, but am still battling my way down to wear you are.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    My tummy is still very saggy and baggy. I used to blame it on having c-sections, but know it was "hanging out" long before I had babies.

This is me at 107.5kg, so I had lost 7.5kg at this point. I was sucking my tummy in as HARD as I could, like, felt my face going red I was sucking so hard. Look how enormous it is!

DSC_2637_zpsczaglp4w.jpg

I don't take pics of me in my undies these days (yuck), but this is another "old me versus me now". My tummy is still very big, it still sticks out, now in two rolls, charming...and it still hangs like a sack of spuds. But gosh, I do think I look a bit better. I'm starting to not care about my stupid tummy. It will keep improving as I keep losing weight anyway and nothing I can do about it. It used to hang so low that it covered my pubic...er...area...and stuck out way further than my boobs. It certainly seems to be the last thing to go, along side my massive upper arms.

Before I was about 105kg, other one is me today at 75.5kg. Not my lowest weight but I'm recovering from a carb overload :-). I only just managed to button these jeans, they are cutting into my gut.

Large%20Michelle%20and%20now%20Michelle_zpske2tox8t.png

Good luck!

Damn, girl! It was worth struggling in to those jeans!!! They look fabulous. I'll have to find the pictures I took and actually take new ones... Been putting it off...
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options

That's lovely. My little humans like my jiggly belly. Maybe they're fond of their old home!

I had twins (12.5 lbs together at birth), then my son 14 months later (over 10 lbs) and now I have floppy belly skin too. The kids call it "pizza dough"...ugh! It doesn't look as bad when I am heavier, like I am now @175 lbs. When I am down to 150 or so it is more prominent and bothering, but I also had my kids at 38 and 39 years old, so my skin was not as elastic any more? I love them dearly, regardless!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes appearance is important but getting my weight and all health markers within a good range based on my own research if most important to me at this time. Yes I know the demands put on females to look like a movie star in a state of being mostly undressed is unreal.

By my own research example I recently read some research that indicates a LDL of <200 (usa) increases the risk of heart attack, dementia, cancer and perhaps other. On this WOE the best I can learn if HDL is going up and triglycerides are going down (while both being in the normal range) then LDL numbers are basically meaningless in predicting health issues like heart attacks.
  • JodehFoster
    Options
    personally, I have no interest in looking like a movie star, but I would like clothes to fit and look properly and be completely confident intimately. I will be seeking surgery next year.