Goals and how you set yours

Options
mamarundrc
mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
I am always curious as to how people are choosing their goal weight or size. I am 5'6" and would like to get to 150 lbs (or size 6). I feel this is realistic for my lifestyle and bone structure. I see people who are taller than me or my height that have a goal WAY less than mine and am curious how people come up with their goals.

What is your ultimate goal? How did you decide it was the right goal for you?

Replies

• mahya_03
    mahya_03 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am always changing what my goes is. Im 5'7" and use to wear a size 7, which I would love to get back into..I have no clue what i would need to weigh to actually fit that size again though. I try not to focus on weight, more how I feel.
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure of my height because I've gotten different measurements from different doctor's offices on the same day! I usually say 5'6" or 5'5" depending on how I feel that day. Unlike many people I don't have a weight I used to be that I like to get back to - I've always been heavy, and I've always been over 200 lbs at least since high school. Calculators I've seen online indicate something around 140 would be right for me, but that seems like it would be tiny for my frame and figure, so I've tentatively set my goal at 160. Honestly right now I am just seeing if I can get under 200 and what that would look like because I've not ever seen it as an adult.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'9" and talking from the male perspective I like to be muscled so I really try to ignore my weight which is really hard to do. I've been in the DRC recently for work in a camp so I just work, eat, workout, and sleep (exciting I know). Last time I weighed myself I had gained 5 lbs but I'm pretty sure it was mostly if not all muscle gain so like I said I have to ignore the scale. Since I'm a pretty good size at this point I have to also ignore all the BMI charts since they all say I'm overweight. I tend to go with body fat percentage, my goal is 10%, but the machines aren't easy to get to so I usually have no idea how I am doing and just go with how I feel. I really think that is the key though, if you are feeling better you must be doing something right so you should keep doing it :smile:
  • rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure of my height because I've gotten different measurements from different doctor's offices on the same day! I usually say 5'6" or 5'5" depending on how I feel that day. Unlike many people I don't have a weight I used to be that I like to get back to - I've always been heavy, and I've always been over 200 lbs at least since high school. Calculators I've seen online indicate something around 140 would be right for me, but that seems like it would be tiny for my frame and figure, so I've tentatively set my goal at 160. Honestly right now I am just seeing if I can get under 200 and what that would look like because I've not ever seen it as an adult.

Same here, expect I'm somewhere between 5'6" and 5'7" :lol: For me, the BMI calculators seem to say that around 155ish is when I wouldn't be overweight anymore so I'm also aiming for 160. First, though, I'd love to just get below 200! I'm with you, @firephoenix8!
  • fletchsc
    fletchsc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm @ 5'6" my current goal is to get to 150 (31.6 lbs to go ugh) I may go lower than that, I really just want to fit into the clothes in my closet again - realistically I think I should be a size 6 or 8 rather than the current size 12. . .
  • JustinAckley
    JustinAckley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like to set goals incrementally and with a time line to keep myself accountable, then reassess. Usually in 10 lb increments that way I get to mark one in the win column a little more ofter. I'm 190 lbs now, my next goal is 180 by the end of September. When I make it I'll have a mini celebration then move on and set my next goal. I have an ultimate goal of 165 in mind but I don't know how I will look / feel as I approach that weight.
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am basing my goal on something I feel is realistic to achieve and maintain and rather than be focused on a weight goal I have a dress/clothes size goal ultimately which is a UK 10/12.

I chose this goal because that is when I felt the most comfortable and I think it suits my height & shape (5'3" - Pear shape).

I have a rough idea of what weight I need to be to obtain this, but I'm more concerned about looking toned than being a set weight. I find if I fixate on a certain weight then if I don't lose enough I get frustrated, demotivated and ultimately forget to notice the inches lost, so I'm hoping this approach will work better for me :smile:
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Lol, I see that fitting into clothes again is a pretty popular motivation xD. That's my reason as well, I have literally piles of jeans and cute tops/ skirts I fit into when I was 120 ibs that I'd love to wear again.
  • Nothing3
    Nothing3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The begining of my journey to hot health...I created a vision book of my goals. Even putting photos of women who looked similar to me with athletic sculpted bodies and words of affirmation. It's my Go To guide when I feel lost, defeated, or lazy. I put less focus on my weight numbers and put most of my focus in researching clean food, how to count calories, and how to exercise to achieve the lean and sculpted body I desire.
    Everyone is different and for me, cutting out distractions like a social life for a few months was the healthiest way for me to create a new consistent workout habit. Bye bye happy hours and meet up at the bars. I also invest in my mind first thing in the morning, randomly throughout the day and before sleep. Listening or watching to motivational vids, exercise vids, or reading books. I take it day by day, it's not always easy to get myself up to exercise but I keep those visions of how hot I'm gonna look and feel in a years time. I spend time in meditation, yoga or breath work a few times a week. I also made a playlist of happy-get-your-*kitten*-up songs and videos to get my energy going. Honestly, the number one thing I think that changed in setting goals and how I achieve them was that I took all my energy and placed it in one place-Me. I also invest money - hard earned money in the best suppliments, vitamins, and organic clean foods. That's when I know, I ain't play in around. Mind! Body! Soul!

Thank you for allowing me to share. ♡
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", and I've been overweight/obese all my life, so I have no idea what I'll look like at any "healthy weight". I'm at 160 right now (my lowest weight as an adult... down from 250), and my ultimate goal is 130. I've been using the BMI tables to gauge what is best for me since I'm not very athletic or muscular. 145 is the top of the "healthy" range for me, so I set my goal for the middle of that range. I'd ultimately like to have some wiggle room and not be concerned about being overweight again. I might reasess when I get closer to my goal, but it's a general idea for now.

Recently though, I've been kind of stuck at my current weight so I've been focusing more on fitness goals... exercising every day, increasing flexibility, C25K training, and pushing myself to go farther when walking, hiking, and biking.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'6'' and 150lbs is my goal. I'm 18 pounds away and have never weighed so little in my adult life. I just want my BMI to be in the 'normal' range. It seems totally doable based on the fluff still around my middle. After getting to goal, I will maintain and then reevaluate if I want to lose more.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My initial goal weight was 185. I chose this based on two things: the BMI "normal" range and my weight in college (when I was in pretty good shape). Once I got closer to that weight, I started looking at what shape my body was in, how my clothes fit, and things like that. I settled on a range of 180-185. Any lighter than that, and my face begins to look gaunt. Any heavier, and my gut begins to bulge.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'5.4" & between 117-118 now. I came from 5'4"/142 & was very unhappy and self-conscious (mainly because of the esthetic standards in the environment I grew up) until my weight dropped to around 124 at my current height. Before that, I used to use a friend's stat (5'6.5"/ 112) as a reference & thought even 114 for my height is really too much to lose for my slightly bigger frame. Now since I've been working out (my friend doesn't) and know more about differences in muscle/ bone/ fat composition among individuals, I'd be fine to have my weight maintained around 115 ± 2 range (given the fact that I'm already flat at the chest..) as long as my body fat % is within 18-20%.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Nothing3 wrote: »
    The begining of my journey to hot health...I created a vision book of my goals. Even putting photos of women who looked similar to me with athletic sculpted bodies and words of affirmation. It's my Go To guide when I feel lost, defeated, or lazy. I put less focus on my weight numbers and put most of my focus in researching clean food, how to count calories, and how to exercise to achieve the lean and sculpted body I desire.
    Everyone is different and for me, cutting out distractions like a social life for a few months was the healthiest way for me to create a new consistent workout habit. Bye bye happy hours and meet up at the bars. I also invest in my mind first thing in the morning, randomly throughout the day and before sleep. Listening or watching to motivational vids, exercise vids, or reading books. I take it day by day, it's not always easy to get myself up to exercise but I keep those visions of how hot I'm gonna look and feel in a years time. I spend time in meditation, yoga or breath work a few times a week. I also made a playlist of happy-get-your-*kitten*-up songs and videos to get my energy going. Honestly, the number one thing I think that changed in setting goals and how I achieve them was that I took all my energy and placed it in one place-Me. I also invest money - hard earned money in the best suppliments, vitamins, and organic clean foods. That's when I know, I ain't play in around. Mind! Body! Soul!

Thank you for allowing me to share. ♡

I love everything about this. All great ways to stay motivated. Thanks for posting!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Here's how I determined my initial goal (I'm more than half-way there and haven't change it):

CF = Current body fat %
    GF = Goal body fat %
    CW = Current weight
    GW = Goal weight

CW - ((CF-GF) X CW) = GW

It isn't perfect, but it gets pretty close to the amount of fat I want to lose.

ETA: If you have more to lose, this formula would be further off. At only about 50 lbs. and not planning to lose quickly, I figured this was worth adjustment over time. I'm still expecting to adjust as I get closer to my goal weight and as I start building muscle.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am half and half -- I just want to fit back into my old clothes again, but I also know that that means being something like 160 for my 5'9'' frame. So that's a minimum. My ultimate goal is to hit 150, because I have been 160 and I know that I can trim down a size or two below that and be in awesome shape.
  • ShinyCourtney
    ShinyCourtney Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight based on my health history. My body was pretty well set at around 175 before I got pregnant, and that was okay, but I definitely could have lost weight. So I think generally I say 160 as my goal, because I think I'll be healthy there. I'm 5'8". I'm curious as to what 150 and fit would look and feel like.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I selected my goal based on what the average weight is for my height/muscle mass. Plus I figured that weight would give me an acceptable level of fatness for my dad bod (which I hear some women find irresistible now)