Which weight training programme to follow - help?!

Options
luce3003
luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
Hi all,

Firstly apologies for the essay.... I've been "weight training" for about 18 months....I use the quotation marks as what I mean is:

1) Started off with random iso based workouts given to me by the OH....followed for a while and gave up
2) Started SL 5x5...followed for a while and gave up
3) Got a programme from a PT....followed for a while and gave up
4) Got a new job which meant longer hours/more travel and gave up completely

I realise I sound like a total quitter, but at least I'm being honest!! However, I've recently lost nearly a stone in weight, through healthy eating which has given me the boost I needed to want to kick start my weight training again.

I need something to follow that will fit in with when I can work out so that I will stick at it.

Goals are primarily to build strength and second, look good (seeing as I've managed to get rid of all that flab I'd like to show it off a bit!). I'd also like to be able to do at least 10 proper form push ups and pull ups (again, sounds ridiculous for someone who has apparently been training for 18 months but there you go...)

The push ups and pull ups I will work on, as most opinions seem to agree it's just a matter of practice makes perfect. However trying to find a programme that fits in with when I can work out (between 3-5 times per week, 30 mins per time) seems impossible...I liked Stronglifts but can't fit it into my 30min window unless I alter the programme (which I guess misses the point completely!).

I've heard of 5/3/1, Ice Cream 5x5, Madcow, Texas Method, NROL etc and I'm at a total loss...or do I just make up my own programme based around compound moves with some iso thrown in for good measure...?

Please help lifting ladies! :blush:

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    I suggest kettle bell swings. I'm just adding them to SL 5x5, but they can be done alone. My nephew only does kettle bells for 30 minutes every other day and is an extreme trainer for people like Navy Seals. Read the book Kettlebell Simple & Sinister by Pavel. There is an app for swing times. I did 20 sets of 10 at 10 lbs single arm swings. I swung 10 left then 10 right 45 seconds then 15 second rest equals 1 minute so a 20 minute workout. Do it at home you can even split sessions. Burns body fat and builds muscle.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can highly recommend the Nike Training Club app (NTC)! It's free, there are so many options based on goal, fitness level, duration; and you only need a medicine ball and some dumbells - however most workouts can be done without equipment if you're travelling. I am a fly in fly out engineer, so know all about travelling for work! And you can't always controll where your food comes from or what kind of fitness facilities you have access to. To say it's frustrating doesn't even begin to cover it! However NTC certainly made it easier for me to get back into health and fitness.
    If you want more of a gym and weights style workout, have a look at this website (I found this article pretty useful); http://www.bodybuilding.com/search/#/?q=no fluff
    Again, heaps of different workouts that have been designed by various fitness professionals and there are easy to understand instructions should you be unfamiliar with an exercise - or alternatives if you are uncomfortable with the suggested exercise.

I hope this helps, and great work on losing that first stone! Keep it up! :smiley:
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for those replies...never tried kettlebells so I'll definately look up that book and something like an app could really help me see progress/track my workouts too...

Thanks again! xxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    luce3003 wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you for those replies...never tried kettlebells so I'll definately look up that book and something like an app could really help me see progress/track my workouts too...

Thanks again! xxx

I did Kettlebell swings over my 10 day vacation and ate and drank what ever I wanted and didn't gain any weight! That was amazing because I have a sweet tooth and I ate probably 2000-3000 calories a day! Now that I'm home I need to actually get a couple of heavier Kettlebells. You are supposed to be able to do them everyday unless you want to take a day off or life gets in the way. Now I'm doing them every other day on SL 5x5 rest days.