Introduce Yourself!

Replies

• ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    Hi guys! I'm MacKenzie, 26 years old, 5'7", currently at about 165 pounds and a size 10.

My highest weight ever was roughly 2 years ago, at 225 lbs.
    I had just moved to Oklahoma, was living with my grandma while looking for a house, and went through a pretty rough time. So, I ate my feelings. I ate my feelings all the way to 225 pounds, when I didn't even know I had surpassed 200. Talk about a wake up call..

Since then, looking back I wasted a lot of time and effort, because I didn't really know how to work out properly. I got on MyFitnessPal and tracked my calories, that made me lose 25 pounds almost immediately (since I had been eating garbage), but I spent a lot of time sitting on weight machines and the elliptical.

NOW, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the science and method of weight loss, after having read quite a few books on the subject and conversations with trainers. I'm also a really big meal prepper!

What really helped me was reading "Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body" by Michael Matthews, and it CHANGED EVERYTHING. I learned not only what I should be eating, but why. I learned about weight loss myths (that were way de-bunked), and I learned how to lift weights to get the biggest bang for my buck, exercise-wise. I really whole-heartedly recommend this book for anyone looking to get fit!!

Here's a link to the book on Amazon, if you're interested.

I'm also lifting based off the Thinner Leaner Stronger workbook, and seeing a ridiculous amount of change in my body. I'm only on week 4, but it's freaking awesome. If you like to lift and are looking for a plan, you need this book in your life. (But it won't make sense if you don't read the actual, original book.)

I grew up overweight to begin with, so I don't really have a weight I'm trying to get back to... but I'm estimating about 135-140 is a good goal for me. :)

Great job! You're well on your way! Thanks for the tips! I'm always looking for a good read. :) I read a lot of articles, blogs, free books from trainers and what not. It really does make a difference when you have a lot of questions answered and you're not just fumbling around guessing. I'll be looking into these!
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    edited October 2015
    I'm Catherine, and I'm 23, CW 175, GW 150 or lower. I was a tae Kwon do instructor for a long time back when being skinny was easy just due to my age, but basically the minute I quit I started gaining weight. I also developed some terrible eating habits, like eating ice cream to settle my stomach (which needs settling several times a day usually) and eating fast food at 3 am to keep me going through night shifts. I gained about 20 pounds in one year. Now I'm bettering myself all kinds of ways - I got a new job that I love, I am enrolled in nursing school, I have all the adult stuff mostly figured out - and I decided awhile back that I'm sick of not fitting in my clothes and being self conscious and feeling sluggish. Mostly I just want to feel healthy and active again! I have asthma so it's very hard but I've done it before and I can do it again! Also, I think my boyfriend is going to propose soon.... :D So might as well start now for the wedding!

So glad to be in this group :)
  • ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    I'm Catherine, and I'm 23, CW 175, GW 150 or lower. I was a tae Kwon do instructor for a long time back when I was naturally skinny just due to my age, but basically the minute I quit I started gaining weight. I also developed some terrible eating habits, like eating ice cream to settle my stomach (which needs settling several times a day usually) and eating fast food at 3 am to keep me going through night shifts. I gained about 20 pounds in one year. And I decided awhile back that I'm sick of not fitting in my clothes and being self conscious and feeling sluggish. Mostly I just want to feel healthy and active again! I have asthma so it's very hard but I've done it before and I can do it again! So glad to be in this group :)

Tae Kwon Do intimidates me! Props to you lol! Setting your mind to it is half the battle! You've got this!! :)
  • turnerh1362
    turnerh1362 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi....I'm Heather and I have been struggling with my weight for a very long time. I have 2 children and work full time. I just turned 40 and decided it was time to finally get serious and get the weight off. I have lost ten pounds and want to lose 35 more. I'm so glad you decided to start this group! I've been struggling for so long. So many inspiring stories here. I'm looking forward to this journey with you all!
  • merrykathryn11
    merrykathryn11 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a 21 yr old undergrad pre-dental student. About 5'2 and 135 lbs. I want to get back to my pre college weight! Which was 20 lbs lighter than I am now. I study all the time, so my life is pretty sedentary, which is something that I desperately want to change. I have a voracious sweet tooth, and I'm the master of talking myself out of workouts. I want to take these last 12 weeks of the month to kick bad habits and slowly implement healthy ones so that I can lay a healthy foundation for 2016!
  • VivaPirata
    VivaPirata Posts: 25 Member
    Hi, I'm Kerry, 19 years old and a university student in the UK. Feel free to add me anybody.

I have always growing up been overweight but not to this extent. At the start of last year, I was living abroad and I lost a lot of weight (I don't know how
    much as I wasn't weighing myself or formally trying to lose weight, I was just eating less/better). I dropped 2/3 dress sizes. More to the point, I felt fantastic. I had so much energy. I started jogging, not because I should, but because I genuinely wanted to, which is a phenomenon completely unheard of before or since. I had so much confidence that I felt able to do anything and being happy was easy.

Then I moved back to the UK last summer. It has been a difficult year for me since then, and I've gained a huge amount of weight. The final straw for me was when I went shopping for new clothes since mine were all too small and not a single store had clothes in my size. I have long since been unable to shop in highstreet shops but usually before supermarkets and discount shops had my size but their biggest size was too small. I went home and weighed myself for the first time in months and I weighed 225lb.

That was a few weeks ago. I've now decided to get that amazing confidence I had before back. I now weigh 214 and would love to start 2016 in the 100s!

Really happy to have you all to share our mutual experience with. Let's do this!
  • ReneeGreen1970
    ReneeGreen1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I'm Renee. I am 44 years old and have been struggling off and on with my weight for 25 years. Unfortunately I am back up to my heaviest. I am a school counselor and mother of three great kids ages 16,18, and 20. I spend much of my time taking care of others and I need to turn some of that attention to myself. I believe that I "medicate" myself with food. The most weight I have ever lost is 30 pounds at one attempt and I felt amazing about it and about myself- I don't understand why I let it slowly creep back on, and although I am not as optimistic as I have been in the past I am ready to try again. I already find several group members inspiring! :) Let's do this!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Hi guys! I'm MacKenzie, 26 years old, 5'7", currently at about 165 pounds and a size 10.

My highest weight ever was roughly 2 years ago, at 225 lbs.
    I had just moved to Oklahoma, was living with my grandma while looking for a house, and went through a pretty rough time. So, I ate my feelings. I ate my feelings all the way to 225 pounds, when I didn't even know I had surpassed 200. Talk about a wake up call..

I can relate!
  • lorengetsfit
    lorengetsfit Posts: 84 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm Loren! I'm currently down about 43 pounds. I don't log my food calories (I only keep track of them in my head) or my exercise calories. Lately, I have been replacing a lot of carbs with veggies and have been working on drinking more water. For exercise, I am currently doing C25K. I'm excited to work towards my goals with others and can't wait to get to know you all!

HW: 282 lbs
    CW: 239 lbs
    End of 2015 GW: 218 lbs
    GW: 170-180 lbs
  • erebar
    erebar Posts: 77 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi I'm Erin, 46, mom to 4 kids, well young adults now. I joined MFP back in 2011- and it works when I use it. I just struggle with losing and gaining the same 20-25 lbs and I seem to add a couple new ones each time. My highest was around 165, CW is 147, GW1 is 135, UGW is 128-130. I'm 5'3 so that would get me to a good BMI. I've been logging for a little over a month and have lost around 11-12 lbs working out 6 days a week and eating clean about 80% of the time. What has helped me this time is giving up sugar (desserts), and eating smaller meals and snacks. What's also helping is that I made a private page on Pinterest with a front and back picture of me (sobering) along with inspiring pictures and quotes and new exercises. A few things I've read really changed the way I was thinking and approaching losing weight. 1.Realizing that I can't keep the way I was eating/exercising and want my weight and body to change and to decide what is more important to me. I decided my weight /body was making me very depressed and it was worth giving up some foods I like to eat. 2. It's going to be hard (especially at first)- but changing my thinking from this sucks that I can't/ shouldn't have this to I don't eat this/that because I'm going to reach my goal. 3. It's ok to be a little hungry- make peace with that and realize my body is having time to break down some of my fat. 4. Water water water! Drink a small glass of water every time I go into the kitchen. I'm excited about this group- I've never joined one before! We can do this!!!!
  • deety3
    deety3 Posts: 82 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi all! I'm Michelle, 61, married and retired. I used MFP a couple of years ago - very successfully! - and lost 72 pounds! woohoo! And guess what? It's ALLLL back. *sigh* So - here we go. Back at it, and this time, no "relaxing" when I hit my goal. I can't view this as short-term. It's life-term.
    Last time through, I joined a group dedicated to losing 20 pounds every few months - what a tool! Helped me enormously to log my weight in every week. It's not competition, but accountability, that motivates me, and I'm looking to this group for that help.
    So - current weight is 206. Challenge goal: 185. Ultimate goal: 135-140. I'm not sure how this group is set up or if we'll have a new thread each week to post losses and cheer each other on, but those are my current stats (horrible, I know, but as of today, I'm working on it!).
    Will happily encourage and support anyone else in the group - please feel free to add me as a friend!
  • laurainottawa
    laurainottawa Posts: 64 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm Laura, 5' 8“, 182lbs, turned 30 this summer. I'm on here because I decided I don't want to spend my 30s overweight and sluggish. I want to be healthy and feel fit. I hit my heaviest for the second time, the 200lbs mark. I was 200 about 6 years ago, got down to 180 without serious tracking or working out. I am serious about it this time!

I started logging in July, SW: 203 CW: 182 GW: 143.

As a kid, my parents didn't own a scale, so I don't have much of a weight reference. I weighed myself at 150 when I was about 14. I wasn't particularly fit or skinny, so I guessed my goal weight as the mid-point of my "normal" BMI range, I'll probably modify as I get closer.

I joined a gym this summer, and in late August started working with a personal trainer. But with some health issues, I put my gym and training on hold, for almost a month now. I am going to start going again tomorrow, because I won't hear back about potential surgery for 4-6 weeks, and I want to get more active again!

Since I continued to lose weight, albeit slower than when I was training, I attribute a lot of my loss to just being mindful of what I am eating. I love trying new foods, and would love to share healthy, yummy recipes with you!

My current goal is to get to 163 by 2016, so I'm not BMI "overweight" in the new year. I want to get to my final goal weight by June 4, for when I run the Mud Hero 6k. I did it this year at 200lbs, it took me 1hr 47min (there was also 19 obstacles along the way) I want to smash that time next year!
  • brett915
    brett915 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I'm Brett! I'm 5'8" and currently at 232. I've always been the chunky one of the group of friends of mine and very self conscious, even when I was only 170lbs! Anyways, I've gone up and down in weight over the past few years. I tore my MCL in 2011 and ended up putting on about 40lbs to get up and too around 230. I lost all of that weight and some! The compliments, the looks, confidence, and overall health was amazing.

Fast forward to 2015 and I was up to 240, the heaviest I've ever been. I work in a credit union so it's very easy for me to just sit all day, eat out for lunch, go home and do nothing. I've started and quit dieting multiple times this year, was doing well but then had a shoulder injury. I decide about a week ago that enough was enough. I weighed in on 10/5 at 236. I've lost about 4lbs in a week which is a great start, I feel motivated and want to do this and keep it off! I've never posted on a forum or really talked to anyone about what I want to do like I am here. The first time I lost weight I had friends doing it with me, but now it's just me. So, I'm hoping the group and all you very nice people can help me stay motivated and vice-versa!

SW- 236
    CW - 232
    GW - 160

I hope to achieve the GW by summer time of 2016! Twenty by 1/1 would be an amazing start.

I look forward to our journey and us all helping each other!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Hey! I'm Caitlin. I'm going to keep this pretty short.
    I have been overweight for most of my life and this is my first time trying to actually lose weight. I have been loving to keep track of my food and seeing how much I eat and how little can actually fill me up compared to the portion sizes I was eating before (I also love looking at other people's diaries. I've been on MFP for 36 days and have logged everything eaten in that time frame, but am working on accuracy. Also, I have only worked out a handful of times since starting, so I would like to work on that.

Here are some of my stats:
    Height: 5'1" or 5'2"
    SW: 165 (my highest ever)
    CW: 156.5
    GW: Currently 135, but probably going to be adjusted down to 120-125 so my BMI will be in the normal range

I'm not too worried about the time range for losing, but it will be nice to have some motivation.
  • Denebug
    Denebug Posts: 1 Member
    Hello- I am cautiously excited to try joining a group with similar goals.
    I can do a great job from breakfast to pre-dinner. Dinner is my struggle. I want to eat until I feel full, which can be an entire day's worth of calories.
    I have done great in the past for a number of weeks, but then I gain all the weight back plus some.

Motivators:
    Family get together in December.
    Ran into an old friend- who is in great shape. Thought- I can do that too.
    Two of my children are getting a little pudgy. I would like to teach by example on how to eat for energy and health.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    I forgot to add: If anybody from the group wants to be my friend just send a request and say you're from the group!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 819 Member
    Hi, I'm 36, 5'6" 216.4 lb as of this morning. My next goal is 199 lb. I'll need to lose more, but smaller goals seem to be keeping me more sane and I'll reassess later. Desk job. I've lost about 20 lb since March/April, but haven't lost any for the last month or so. I know I've slid back on some of my old habits, so time for new motivation and new dedication/effort.
  • mwoakey
    mwoakey Posts: 7 Member
    Hi everyone. I have never joined one of these groups - but it is time! I am looking for some accountability. I had great success with MFP several years ago, but have put the weight back on and want to get back on track! I keep seeming to gain and lose the same 10 pounds over and over again. Snacking at work seems to be my biggest hurdle as I am busy with my kids after work and school. I think I just need to get used to being a little bit hungry during the day! Here are my stats:

Height: 5'3"
    SW: 157
    CW: 157
    GW: 135

Hoping this will do the trick!
  • tashlm123
    tashlm123 Posts: 33 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm Tash. I desperately want to loose 30kg (66lbs) I joined MFP about 2 years ago and haven't really used it, so I'm really hoping support and accountability. I've been overweight for many years but currently weigh more than I ever have and am currently having blood tests as my doctor believes I may be pre diabetic. I'm struggling at the moment as all I can think of is all of the foods I'm not eating. I know I can loose this weight as I have done it before. I just need some lovely people to keep kicking my butt in the right direction.
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Hello all. I'm Angela and I have been on this journey "THIS" time since the middle of April I'm at 6 months and 60lbs down. I saw a picture of myself that I didn't want to be in in the first place and was horrified. So I started logging/tracking my intake in MFP and the more I tracked the better I wanted to be. I don't have what I call cheat days or meals. I eat what I want, but what I want has drastically changed. You know better, you do better. This time it's not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. I would love to be under 200 by the end of the year, but would be satisfied with 205.

Height: 5'4"
    SW: 285
    CW: 225.9
    GW: 175
    UGW: 135-140ish...not sure depends on what I look like when I get to 150 :smiley:

Feel free to send me a friend request. Please mention this group.