Who drinks bone broth?

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
do you make it yourself? (Share recipe)
How often do you drink?
What's the nutritional info (Cals etc?)
We have a meat market here so I can get all kinds, what's your fav?

Replies

• danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I drink bone broth from broth I make myself. I usually use left over chicken bones that I freeze until I have enough to make a decent batch of broth. I boil the bones with a splash of apple cider vinegar and will usually throw in some oregeno and rosemary and of course a lot of salt. I will boil it for about 12 hours before I cool it and pour it through a stainer. I try to always have it in the fridge. I usually drink a travel mug of it for breakfast, along with coffee. I have no idea what the nutritional info is. I love it daily, if I don't run out.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    That's what I was thinking about doing, how many chickens (bone only) will I need to make enough for the week?
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I make and drink bone broth made from any bones on hand. I save all bones from chicken in one freezer bag, and save beef and pork bones in another bag. When I have one large bag full, I know I have enough to make one large soup pot of broth. This sometimes means the bones of 2 whole chickens, just depends on the size of the chicken. I save necks, feet etc too. I get bones from my farmers which are raw, as well as other animal parts for free, and I save every bone from everything I cook. I've probably got 3-4 bags of bones ready to go right now. I tend to drink less in the summer. One large pot will be enough for me per week. I will freeze about half of what I make in jars, so that it keeps better, and I always have broth ready when I need it. A turkey will be good for 2 pots of broth.

I start with cold fresh water to cover my bones, throw a little apple cider vinegar in there and boil for about 4 hours, then I throw in an onion and celery and cook another 4 hours, topping up with fresh cold water then bringing back to the boil. I strain everything out at the end. I never salt my broth until I use it. And that's it.

I will make broth out of anything, any poultry, meat or fish. I made black bear broth on Monday!
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    seriously!?! black bear ??????? wow! How does the taste compare to other broths? Fascinating. And where do you live to get bear bones?
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    I live in Manitoba, Canada. My hairdresser shot a black bear about 3 weeks ago and gave me a couple of roasts, all of the ribs ends, then sawed up the rest of the spine with ribs into 3 pieces for me to make soup. He trimmed the rest of the meat off for himself and gave me the bones since he won't use them. I traded 6 jars of my homemade pickles, some homemade soap, a couple of kitchen towels I made and a spaghetti squash I grew for the bear meat and bones. Something out of nothing..... Just like bone broth !

The bear broth tasted good, lighter tasting than beef broth. I added salt and a bit of tamari to it when I drank it, will finish it off tonight.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sounds as if you a Martha Stewart of the North! I'm impressed!!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I just found and bought some at one of my "local" (30 min. drive each way - ugh!) health stores today (finally)!! I plan on trying it this coming week. One thing I'm already not happy about is that it doesn't have any fat in it at all! :'( I guess I'mm just have to add some to it. I don't make my own at this time but I may try to make my own at some point in the future. Here is a link to several different bone broth recipes (i.e. chicken, beef fish):

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/sites/default/files/media/Bone Broth Soups.pdf
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I got some beef bone today and some hammocks I know hocks have a ton of fat so might make it out of both and eat the hocks!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I live in Manitoba, Canada. My hairdresser shot a black bear about 3 weeks ago and gave me a couple of roasts, all of the ribs ends, then sawed up the rest of the spine with ribs into 3 pieces for me to make soup. He trimmed the rest of the meat off for himself and gave me the bones since he won't use them. I traded 6 jars of my homemade pickles, some homemade soap, a couple of kitchen towels I made and a spaghetti squash I grew for the bear meat and bones. Something out of nothing..... Just like bone broth !

The bear broth tasted good, lighter tasting than beef broth. I added salt and a bit of tamari to it when I drank it, will finish it off tonight.

I've never tried bear. How is it?
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    I've only had bear meat once, a couple of years ago when my chiropractor gave me some that he hunted. I cooked a bear steak and a beef steak side-by-side, and we had a taste test. The meat is darker red than beef, much denser and very flavourful, like the best steak you've ever had. The meat was harder to chew. I should have marinated it first. Maybe next weekend or so I will cook a bear roast, marinate it first, then cook it in the slowcooker with some bear broth.
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    Sounds as if you a Martha Stewart of the North! I'm impressed!!

LOL! I just like homemade stuff.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I save up chicken bones and carcasses (a mix of raw and cooked) in the freezer. When I have enough I throw them in the crock pot, add some onion, celery, and carrot, cover with water, add salt, pepper, and thyme, and cook on low overnight. In the morning I strain it and divide into jars to put in the freezer. We are purchasing a pig this year and I'm going to try my hand at pork broth (and lard! Yay! Who knew, our mailman has a farm, lol). I never thought to put vinegar in it. What is the purpose of that, may I ask?
  • Kitnthecat
    Options
    The vinegar helps draw out the minerals, calcium, magnesium and potassium...out of the bones and into your broth.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    From what I have heard just a small amount of apple cider vinegar (tbs) will draw all the healthy stuff out of bones to where they are very brittle and crumble.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »

Coincidentally, I too am Canadian (Ontario), and we've got bear "pepperettes" in our refrigerator as we speak.

One of my husband's coworkers is Native Canadian and can hunt anything anywhere. He also brought in goose jerky.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use fresh or frozen oxtail and any other bones I have in the freezer, some apple cider vinegar (pulls out nutrients as well as the gelatin/collagen). I also throw in an onion chopped in half, a few carrots and parsnip, smashed garlic cloves, and salt and pepper. I use a pressure cooker on high for 2 hours.

Its hard to get nutritional info on broth because you strain out all the calories, but I see it listed at about 30 per cup (3g fat, 2 g protein).
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hi All, How long would the chicken broth keep in the fridge for? I am very cautious of salmonella when it comes to anything chicken
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I boil my beef marrow bones for 24 - 36 hours. I will start having some of the broth after 6 hours, but if you want all the calcium from the bones, you have to boil them a long time. Then I scrape the inside of the bones into my broth. I freeze the extra.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    chatnel wrote: »
    Hi All, How long would the chicken broth keep in the fridge for? I am very cautious of salmonella when it comes to anything chicken

I think I read some where 5 days

• ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It freezes beautifully though :)