Anyone Zwifting this coming Winter?

Options

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    When you take 'Snapshots' during your ride, what happens to them; where do they go?
    Into your "Pictures" or "My Pictures" folder.
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    from their help/support forum
    Note: All screenshots taken by Zwift are saved by default to your \user\pictures folder on your computer, no matter whether you use your computer or your phone.

Thanks... I'll have a look ;)

Read the instructions? Me? :oo:)
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    When you take 'Snapshots' during your ride, what happens to them; where do they go?
    Into your "Pictures" or "My Pictures" folder.
    from their help/support forum
    Note: All screenshots taken by Zwift are saved by default to your \user\pictures folder on your computer, no matter whether you use your computer or your phone.

Thanks... I'll have a look ;)

Read the instructions? Me? :oo:)

LOL I swear... I just now found out about boosts/power ups. Umm what?!?!

This seemed full of good info. I was reading last night...

http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/zwift-user-manual-unofficial-running-updates/
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    A few questions for the regular users (Jake & Noel?)... I am using a KK trainer with HRM & Speed Sensors, it seems quite often like I am going very slow and people are blowing by me when IRL I am really hammering hard, on my next to highest gear. Did either of you experience this? Also, when I use the app, I only see the REMOTE ACCESS current users list, no other functionality like boost/power up thing to push on the app or the indicators on the screen showing a boost available by hitting space bar?
    Last night I rode UCI Richmond and while my IRL effort was pretty high, my stats were low. A bit confused here and a bit disconcerting and I don't want these factors to turn me off from an otherwise enjoyable experience.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say exactly, with regard to the speed. I apologize if you know all this, I'm just trying to cover the basics.

First, with the KK (without a true direct-force power meter on your bike), Zwift is using your rear speed sensor along with a known trainer power curve that KK publishes to generate a "Z Power" or virtual power, number. KK's published curve says, for example, that 20 mph rear wheel speed should require something like 240 watts. Zwift takes this power curve, does some other things with it to make it more responsive to sprints and such, then chucks it into an algorithm with your weight and the virtual physics of the Zwift environment (climbing/descending, virtual wind, virtual air pressure, etc) and generates a speed for you in the Zwift world. The problem with all of that is that there are a lot of variables Zwift can't know about. As an example, tightening your trainer's tension adjustment will cause you to need more power for a given speed, because some of the power your legs generate gets sucked up by deforming the tire more against the trainer's roller. Tire pressure affects it for the same reason. Your weight in-game needs to be more-or-less correct or that will affect things as well.

Unfortunately, though I have a KK that I was using with Zwift until very recently, I always had a power meter on my bike so I never used the Z Power functionality. I have a friend who does with a KK though and he has good results. For reference, he uses 110 psi in the tires and 2 full turns of tension on the roller. That's from first touch of the tire, so move the roller until it just touches the tire, then do 2 full turns.

Also, can't really help out with the app. I have a keyboard sitting right next to me so I haven't used it in months. I can install and look if you need me to.
  • m1xm0d3
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's hard to say exactly, with regard to the speed. I apologize if you know all this, I'm just trying to cover the basics.

First, with the KK (without a true direct-force power meter on your bike), Zwift is using your rear speed sensor along with a known trainer power curve that KK publishes to generate a "Z Power" or virtual power, number. KK's published curve says, for example, that 20 mph rear wheel speed should require something like 240 watts. Zwift takes this power curve, does some other things with it to make it more responsive to sprints and such, then chucks it into an algorithm with your weight and the virtual physics of the Zwift environment (climbing/descending, virtual wind, virtual air pressure, etc) and generates a speed for you in the Zwift world. The problem with all of that is that there are a lot of variables Zwift can't know about. As an example, tightening your trainer's tension adjustment will cause you to need more power for a given speed, because some of the power your legs generate gets sucked up by deforming the tire more against the trainer's roller. Tire pressure affects it for the same reason. Your weight in-game needs to be more-or-less correct or that will affect things as well.

Unfortunately, though I have a KK that I was using with Zwift until very recently, I always had a power meter on my bike so I never used the Z Power functionality. I have a friend who does with a KK though and he has good results. For reference, he uses 110 psi in the tires and 2 full turns of tension on the roller. That's from first touch of the tire, so move the roller until it just touches the tire, then do 2 full turns.

Also, can't really help out with the app. I have a keyboard sitting right next to me so I haven't used it in months. I can install and look if you need me to.

I think this nailed it. I am a big guy (235 lbs) so I crank the tensioner down about another have half turn because when I was about 70 lbs heavier, when I would stand to sprint pedal, the tire would slip. I dialed it back a small amount tonight and it did not slip any and I had a much better average (although I did put out more effort). Still can't figure out the cell phone app being stuck on REMOTE ACCESS. I have a new phone on the way so I wont bother with the app until I see if the upgrade phone has the same problem.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »

I think this nailed it. I am a big guy (235 lbs) so I crank the tensioner down about another have half turn because when I was about 70 lbs heavier, when I would stand to sprint pedal, the tire would slip. I dialed it back a small amount tonight and it did not slip any and I had a much better average (although I did put out more effort). Still can't figure out the cell phone app being stuck on REMOTE ACCESS. I have a new phone on the way so I wont bother with the app until I see if the upgrade phone has the same problem.

To be honest I've not really have any issues, using a kickr intelligent trainer pretty much takes care of everything and gives a very real experience, I've found the stats to be very close compared to riding out doors, I imagine getting other trainers spot on would be quite a challenge, I guess you just have to keep playing with the settings until you feel it matches the real world, wish I could help more.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    :shrug: using the Tacx Bushido in "dumb" mode (the only one it'll work in, as it's the old model) it feels nothing like what I'm seeing on the screen in terms of resistance, but you know what... I don't really care - all I'm really concerned with on a trainer at the moment is a) hitting my HR targets (not allowed to go above and b) actually getting my legs moving. The "eye candy" on screen is nice, yeah, but I'm not up for racing anyone else anyway at the moment, and my power meter says I'm hitting 158w for my 20 minute power and 137w for the hour - whatever the Zwift software translates that into as an overall speed on screen is academic to me really - I'm slow enough not to be messing with anybodies leader boards on Strava, so the accuracy or otherwise of my "segment times" has no real relevance... so, I'll admit it, my rider weight in there is not accurate in any way - I'm basically using it to try and "tune" my ride so I can get 3 laps of the island course in a hour (or near enough) - and if I finish early, next time I'll add 5kg to my rider weight... It'll not alter the resistance I'm riding, the Wattage should climb (while the HR keeps within acceptable parameters), I'll just go virtually slower on the uphills I guess - a bit more like real life.

I aught really to have tried a single lap of the course with the correct weight, but I was pretty sure that I'd not get around a single loop in the full hour I'm allowed to exercise.

• ntnunk
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    To be honest I've not really have any issues, using a kickr intelligent trainer pretty much takes care of everything and gives a very real experience, I've found the stats to be very close compared to riding out doors, I imagine getting other trainers spot on would be quite a challenge, I guess you just have to keep playing with the settings until you feel it matches the real world, wish I could help more.

Having a smart trainer definitely heightens the experience. I've been on both sides of that coin at this point and I would say the whole package is 200% better with a smart trainer. The only thing missing now is, IMO, losing Watopia and getting more longer courses.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I think when they start charging for it, they're really going to have to get some courses sorted out quickly - and make the courses user-selectable, rather than "this is what's on today, ride it or don't..." Especially if the courses start to get a little more "adventurous" - say, if they model something like M. Ventoux (shouldn't be all that hard, half of its in trees, the other halfs featureless rocks, hardest bit is sorting Chalet Reynard and the Meteo Station on the top...) You really wouldn't want that to be the only course that's on the menu that day, if you were on a "recovery ride" schedule :lol:
  • ntnunk
    Options
    I think when they start charging for it, they're really going to have to get some courses sorted out quickly - and make the courses user-selectable, rather than "this is what's on today, ride it or don't..." Especially if the courses start to get a little more "adventurous" - say, if they model something like M. Ventoux (shouldn't be all that hard, half of its in trees, the other halfs featureless rocks, hardest bit is sorting Chalet Reynard and the Meteo Station on the top...) You really wouldn't want that to be the only course that's on the menu that day, if you were on a "recovery ride" schedule :lol:

Agreed. They are getting complaints about that on the forums already. What I've read is that they believe, and probably rightly so, that the social aspect, i.e. having other people riding when you are as opposed to be all alone, is a big part of it. They are afraid that having too many courses right now would "water down" the social part by having too few riders spread over too many miles and/or too many courses. I can see that for sure but they are going to have to balance that with the desire to be able to select what you're doing and "where" you're doing it. At the absolute minimum, I think every day should have at least 2 courses to select from: a climbing course and a flat course.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    ...Still can't figure out the cell phone app being stuck on REMOTE ACCESS. I have a new phone on the way so I wont bother with the app until I see if the upgrade phone has the same problem.

Well, I can help you there, I've been using Zwift on and off again for a good chunk of the beta. This happened to me all the time until someone set me straight...and if things have not changed, this should fix it:

Basically, both your computer AND your cell phone need to be using the same wireless network simultaneously. That means both on the same WiFi. In my house, I have three WiFi networks and my phone would connect to one and I always had my laptop on the other. Once I set them up to use the same network, got the computer logged in properly, then brought the app online, suddenly the mobile Zwift app gave me the in-game options.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    ...Still can't figure out the cell phone app being stuck on REMOTE ACCESS. I have a new phone on the way so I wont bother with the app until I see if the upgrade phone has the same problem.

Well, I can help you there, I've been using Zwift on and off again for a good chunk of the beta. This happened to me all the time until someone set me straight...and if things have not changed, this should fix it:

Basically, both your computer AND your cell phone need to be using the same wireless network simultaneously. That means both on the same WiFi. In my house, I have three WiFi networks and my phone would connect to one and I always had my laptop on the other. Once I set them up to use the same network, got the computer logged in properly, then brought the app online, suddenly the mobile Zwift app gave me the in-game options.

Good info, Joe! My cell is obviously on wifi, but I use my desktop PC hardwired by ethernet. I'll work on getting them on the same connection.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Good info, Joe! My cell is obviously on wifi, but I use my desktop PC hardwired by ethernet. I'll work on getting them on the same connection.

Both my phone and laptop connect to the same wifi connection ;)
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I connected my cell to the wifi modem that my desktop is hardwired to and still no bueno which means I must need to get a wireless adapter for my PC so they are on the same wifi connection which is a bit annoying.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Both my phone and laptop connect to the same wifi connection ;)

I'm going off this info, which resolved it for me:
    https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/204865785-Zwift-Mobile-Link-app-only-shows-Remote-Access-
    If you still have the prob, then I am not sure what it is, if everything is up to date on the latest version.
  • ntnunk
    Options
    I connected my cell to the wifi modem that my desktop is hardwired to and still no bueno which means I must need to get a wireless adapter for my PC so they are on the same wifi connection which is a bit annoying.

I don't think you should have to get a wireless adapter for your PC. My phone works via wifi and my Zwift PC is plugged in with an Ethernet cable. It works with no troubles. Post a question to the support forums if you are still having trouble. Those folks are really good about helping you out.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't use it as a hammer fest or social really, what I like about it is it's the closest thing you can get to riding outdoors, the replication of how the kickr feels with the visuals gives you that immersion, you feel the smallest incline and the hills are hard work, the other riders and leader boards are a nice distraction and you do get drawn into trying to beat your best TT time which is again another distraction, I've no doubt that without it I would have stuck on a stone or two since the accident I had two months ago stopping me riding out doors, it's a great rehab option.

Saying all that, now they are looking to charge it really does need more courses and the ability to select, even on the same island it would be nice to plan or pick from a network of roads. I expect it to take a year or two to realise it's potential, great start but they have a lot of work to do to keep it attractive.

Now I'm about to venture outside on the bike again it will be an option when the weather is crappy or as rehab if I'm struggling with an injury.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Actually, as far as being Immersive, I find it a poor second to the Tacx DVD stuff - they have the same "road replication" effects - gradients up/down being modelled very accurately indeed (subject to the abilities of you're smart-trainer - obviously, something like the Vortex with a maximum braking effect of 950w is going to be less accurate at modelling the effect of a monster like the 23.6% Alto del Angliru for a 110kg rider than (say) the Bushido (1400w), the Genius (1500w) or the new Neo (2200w). And of course, nothing's going to successfully model the under-wheel effect of either the Cobbles on the "Hell of the North" DVD or the Gravel roads on the "Strade Bianche" DVD. BUT - and this really is a big thing for me - the Visuals are full HD Quality DVD's or Bluerays - not a computer simulation (however good) - and I'd far rather ride through "real" terrain than a cartoon.

I must admit, this time around, I've never really got back into "proper" structured training on the indoor trainer bike - years and years ago, when I was racing, I was far more disciplined, and really, really worked at it - and it showed real genuine benefits - but it was miserable, painful, and only really worthwhile to me BECAUSE of the improvement it gave me in racing. I'd LOVE the same % improvement in my riding abilities as I used to get over winter indoors - but without any ambitions to get back into racing, I'm never going to put myself through that same kind of suffering to get that improvement - i'm realistic here - 4 months of agony and aching every day is NOT an acceptable sacrifice for me these days to be able to ride up a couple of my local hills 20 seconds quicker.

So, Instead of riding hard, structured, short intervals - I substitute indoor rides of the same time duration as i'd be doing outdoors, and try and adjust the intensity of the riding to get a similar TSS and IF to what I'd have done on the road - I don't really care about the speed, the "virtual altitude" gained, if I went faster/slower than the last time or any of that stuff - I just want something interesting and involving to watch, while my legs spin around and I burn some calories and get a workout. I especially don't want some pillock coming hooning by me on the screen on every hill, or getting told to "close the gap" to a chaingang of Semi-Opaque Smurfs. It's depressing enough getting passed by everyone out on the road, without getting passed by everyone on the fecking indoor trainer as well.

I think I'd only really consider Zwift as my sole indoor training setup if they were to actually model some Real-World Climbs - starting with say a few of the routes on the M.Ventoux massif - to give you an option of a choice of ascents - The Bedoin, Sault or Malaucene - and, preferably, also the descents of the same - or "up and back downs" - maybe then the real "nutters" could do a virtual "Three Sides Challenge" and combine the lot...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I had a look at TrainerRoad last year, with a view to perhaps actually putting SOME structure into improving my training, but pretty much 2 rides into riding it, I contracted a rather nasty chest infection, which resulted in one or two pretty unpleasant complications, and has resulted in my STILL being pretty much off the bike in any meaningful way, almost a year on... My interest at the moment is in something to provide "distraction" while I grind out lots of "poor weather zone 1-2 distance sessions" - as the Cardiologists won't let me ride in anything other than a "controlled environment" - i.e. no headwinds, changeable weather, rain, snow, extremes of cold or extreme hills - so, pretty much "on the trainer, indoors" then.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    smeakim1 wrote: »
    Yuck on multiple fronts.

not really - after what I've had happen, every day above ground is a good day - and if that day involves sitting on a bike (even in my bike-cave) and turning a crank, then a good day becomes a great one!