Staple foods

Options
I use swede, courgetti, sweet potato, butternut squash.

I miss risotto and looked at pearl barley but that's also really high carbs. I wonder what else I could use instead. Or are there other types of rice which are lower carbs?

I don't mind quinoa but can't eat it all the time! Just looking for variety!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I substitute grated cauliflower for rice in quite a few things. Radishes are a good sub for potatoes when cooked, they are mild & take on the flavor of what you cook them in very well.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. I used to hate it and I thought substituting cauliflower for anything was the most disgusting and annoying thing I had ever heard. But, now I'm a believer. I have made a cauliflower risotto, and my favorite is a loaded baked "potato" cauliflower casserole.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and broccoli.I occasionally eat tomatoes. Green salad, spinach, Brussels sprouts and asparagus. Every once in a while I grate zucchini into stuff, and even more rare, spaghetti squash and pumpkin.
  • mspr1nt
    mspr1nt Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep, cauliflower everything. Rice. Pizza crust. Mash. Everything. It'll change your life
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    IMHO - Stay away from quinoa too. I went down that route also looking for rice substitutes, eventually you will find better options and find you don't miss the rice as a side..

Everything said above, yup = Cauliflower, baby spinach cooked in coconut oil, etc..

There's the old thought that you need a protein, a veg. and a starch on your plate. Nah.. Skip the starch.

I hate to mention it, but you might also find better options for the squash and sweet potato as well...

Opt for more leafy greens instead & more fat.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I made this blackened orange roughy over cajun cauliflower "rice" a couple weeks ago. It was awesome.

less than 10 carbs on this plate...

y3hffl3zp9r5.jpg
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree re all the veg. I love cauliflower and all veg in fact. Trouble is I have to cater also for a seriously underweight 20 year old son too.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Yes I agree re all the veg. I love cauliflower and all veg in fact. Trouble is I have to cater also for a seriously underweight 20 year old son too.

Then you cook him the starches and you don't eat them.
  • BeccaColliesBurton
    BeccaColliesBurton Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

I know but the temptation :-(
  • deksgrl
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

Yeah, it sucks. But I don't see any other solution than to overcome it. You have conflicting needs. Unless you put the burden on him to cook his own food, which might be feasible, or not, depending on his issues.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    For sure a problem. I made Spanish rice for the rest of the family yesterday. I don't normally eat any, but I made a slightly different recipe and had to adjust spices by tasting. It's a shock how much carbs 3 tablespoons has.

It was amazingly good :D

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cauliflower recommendations..very versatile.

It comes down to choice with your sons food. This woe can get you to the point where it's no longer tempting, but you have to choose the steps that get you there! Good luck!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You could also go with "Miracle Rice." It's not a true rice (it's just Shiritaki Noodles [not a true "pasta"] cut up into really small pieces) BUT it is an acceptable alternative to cauliflower as rice in recipes when rice is called for.