The Rice Diet (94% carbs)

Options
2»

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    On the Minger post, Dr. Fung did a response on his blog: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/thoughts-on-the-kempner-rice-diet/
    He is not totally convinced...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Dr. Fung blog has a link to Dr Kemper which is far more interesting IMO. Lorne Greene followed a diet like the rice diet?!? Wow; talk about a walk back in time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've read that those with insulin resistance tend to do better at weight loss on a LCHF diet. Those who were metabolically healthy lost weight essentially whenever calories were restricted.

I think it really does depend on the body, but like @FIT_Goat pointed out, LCHF worked for all, and the other diets worked for only some. LCHF with restricted calories appears to be more of a sure thing.

I've read that about 20% of the populations does better on lower fat/higher carb diets. I have to say that my Japanese students are all very slim and eating a bowl of white rice 3 times a day is their main food source. However they don't eat hardly any sugar.

I wouldn't say rice is my japanese students' (or Chinese or Korean) main food source. I would say it's their "bread". i.e. where we eat bread with meals, they eat rice.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The whole world is becoming more Americanized with these food chains expanding their international markets! I'm not surprised the students spend their money on carbage! The addiction begins early. Maybe they (the Japanese govt) will recognize the trend, before it becomes the epidemic that we are seeing in the U.S.!
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    On the Minger post, Dr. Fung did a response on his blog: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/thoughts-on-the-kempner-rice-diet/

Great blog / analysis - very effectively pokes huge holes in the study, at least as far as a plus for low fat, and explains well why this and other "crazy unsustainable " diets "work" but don't.

Thanks for posting that link!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Dr. Fung blog has a link to Dr Kemper which is far more interesting IMO. Lorne Greene followed a diet like the rice diet?!? Wow; talk about a walk back in time.

WOW. that is a flashback.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »

Thanks for this. Very interesting!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @camtosh - an elite Japanese woman's university in the Western US (not teaching there at the moment) - It is true that Westernized diets are becoming more common and sugar laden in Japan. However, rice is traditional which was my point.