Running friends?

julie_emma
julie_emma Posts: 16 Member
Hello all! I'd love to have some more running friends on MFP!

A quick back story: I used to run regularly, completing several half marathons, 10ks and 5ks, and was pretty "middle of the pack" in terms of speed. I also used to be very active on MFP. However, over the last year, I struggled with severe burnout from medical school and pretty much stopped all of my hobbies (including running), started eating badly, and honestly started feeling pretty low. I'm slowly working toward getting back to my old self, including getting back into running, and so far, so good! I would really love to have some more friends on MFP, so please add me if you are interested :smile:

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Adding!
  • AutumnBlue4
    AutumnBlue4 Posts: 14 Member
    Adding you too, I am in a similar position. Currently training for a half marathon which is 5 weeks on Sunday. I've lost count of how many I've done but it's by far my favourite distance!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Adding you. I'm 59 years old, but will be 60 when I get to my first Boston next April. Working on adding consistent training, as I'd like to treat Boston better than I treated my accidental first marathon at Buffalo.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Adding you. I am 50 and just finished my first full marathon after 18 months of training. Not bad considering that before those 18 months I had no clue what running was all about. Stef.
  • julie_emma
    julie_emma Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks for all of the adds - it is so great to meet so many other runners! I hope we can support each other.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Adding you. I'm 59 years old, but will be 60 when I get to my first Boston next April. Working on adding consistent training, as I'd like to treat Boston better than I treated my accidental first marathon at Buffalo.

You "accidentally" completed a marathon? :smiley:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    julie_emma wrote: »
    You "accidentally" completed a marathon? :smiley:

I didn't really train for my first marathon. I was building a base of long runs while training to stay in shape for 4 half marathons in 2015, with the idea that Rochester 2016 would be my first marathon. Along about April, after I ran 20 miles with a buddy who was training for Pittsburgh, my pace group kind of pushed me into registering for Buffalo. So yeah, it was accidental in the sense that I had no intention of running a marathon until about a month and a half before the actual race.

I completed that marathon in 3:20:53 net time, easily qualifying for Boston at my age; but I was pretty beat up afterward. What I *think* I learned from Buffalo is that I need a better base of weekly mileage, not just good long runs. The first test of this theory will be Boston 2016.
  • simonwarren777
    simonwarren777 Posts: 19 Member
    Adding as well.
    Just done my first half, which went very well.
    Now looking to dro a few pounds and keep the training up to get a bit faster.
    Simon
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    I'll send a FR. Anyone else is free to add me too! I prefer half marathons, but I'm slower than middle of the pack. Right now I'm sidelined due to an injury but hope to start running again soon.
  • jos82
    jos82 Posts: 18 Member
    Adding!
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Adding!
  • RickTheRunner
    RickTheRunner Posts: 119 Member
    Also run a fair bit, entered Brighton marathon again! Please feel free to add me!
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    I'm adding also... Anybody else who wants to add me go ahead.. I would love to have more running friends
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Sent an invite, anyone can add me as well....marathon and triathlete here. Always looking for more friends and motivation.
  • sirsuggs
    sirsuggs Posts: 11 Member
    I'm also looking for running friends. Curious as to what other people's' diets and workouts look like.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Slower, mostly mid pack runner here - half marathons, 10ks, 5ks, and some triathlons. I could use more running friends, especially those of a similar (slowish) speed :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    sirsuggs wrote: »
    I'm also looking for running friends. Curious as to what other people's' diets and workouts look like.

Anyone can add me if they like. Unfortunately I do not always keep my diary up to date (I kinda know how much to eat now that I've had practice :) ) but my workouts get logged automagically by Endomondo.
  • RockTex
    RockTex Posts: 27 Member
    Also a consummate middle of the pack runner here. Done many half marathons and 10ks, and love to run the trails. Anyone can add me if they like to talk about their running and eating or whatever.
  • S_Marc
    S_Marc Posts: 10 Member
    Hey, I need to run more and eat less. I figure that if I have some people on here to motivate me...
  • Colorado_Joni
    Colorado_Joni Posts: 25 Member
    Hello everyone! Please feel free to add me as well. Would love more active, running friends. :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    I run too much, get injured a lot, and have a very cute dog. And I'd love more running friends, so posters and lurkers in this thread, drop me a friend request!