What is the something you wish you would have known day one.. (help new people)

Options

Replies

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I second the sodium! I slacked off on drinking daily boullion broth, and before I knew it the cravings started creeping back in. And sodium before a workout is a must.

Also, even on the days you don't feel like eating much, make sure you still get plenty of sodium, especially in the beginning.

Don't slack off on tracking! I got too cocky with my tracking, figured I didn't need to anymore, that I had a good handle on this WOE, etc. Carbs started creeping back in, and before I knew it I was close to 100g a day. Not a big deal for some, but it was enough to stall me.

Pinterest is great for finding meal ideas and new recipes. I wouldn't have made it past the first month without it.

It's okay if you don't like bulletproof coffee.

And finally, 2 food products I just discovered:
    -Werther's sugar-free caramels, cinnamon caramels, and chocolate caramels. They are sweetened with sugar alcohols, which may affect some people, but in tiny amounts (like 1 caramel) they are okay, and so so tasty.
    -Tyson lightly breaded chicken tenders. Much lower in carbs than regular chicken tenders, and fried on the stove top in some coconut oil are just plain delicious. They are breaded with flour so if you're trying to be grain free they're a no-go, but if you're like me and can have grains in small amounts it's 7 carbs for one 3-oz. tender, and they're pretty huge. Two is a pretty hearty meal.

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I wish I had known about toasted coconut flakes. Those and macadamia nuts have got to be the world's best low-carb snacks.

And I wish I knew how to avoid kidney stones. That's a guessing game nobody should have to play. :(

Can you elaborate about kidney stones? Is that a concern?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I wish I had known about toasted coconut flakes. Those and macadamia nuts have got to be the world's best low-carb snacks.

And I wish I knew how to avoid kidney stones. That's a guessing game nobody should have to play. :(

Can you elaborate about kidney stones? Is that a concern?

Probably not. It seems to require some genetic predisposition. I'm still scheduled to talk to the doc about possible causes, but I suspect chocolate and almonds. I ate a LOT, and they're high in oxalate.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Nephrolithiasis/kidney stones...ironically is an adverse drug reaction typical of many meds that cause metabolic acidosis, such as Topiramate, zonisamide, acetazolamide, etc. (not listing meds causing kidney stone that do NOT produce metabolic acidosis). There has got to be a correlation with metabolic acidosis obviously. I would speculate that the kidneys overcompensate for electrolyte losses to provoke kidney stones (I.e.kidneys absorb too much minerals due to how easily electrolytes are excreted while on keto).
  • sylvettecorprewharris
    Options
    Don't over eat protein! It caused me to stall.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That low carb or keto is not actually a magic weight loss bullet. There is science behind it. You can't just gorge on fat, as you still need to have some sort of calorie deficit if fat loss is your aim. But that low carb and keto are the best ways to get there if done properly and consistently, and that the health benefits can be those other than just fat loss.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above. (especially pictures & Magnesium Citrate)

I wish I had known that one teaspoon of pure white sugar is only 4.2 grams. So, I was only looking at the carb count, I didn't care so much about the sugar, because it was just another carb. BUT its not, it spikes your blood glucose, then the insulin comes in. Now when I see 4 grams of sugar, I think of a teaspoon of sugar, and put it down. The biggest place they put the sugar in is condiments and sausages (off the top of my head).

@slimzandra ~ you're too kind. My objective with the blogs is to help newbies. I hope I help them.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 194.9, 119 pounds down, 16 to go. 13.75 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
  • brokethechain16
    brokethechain16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This has been a great help! Thanks to all of you for the insight.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Ditto the above. (especially pictures & Magnesium Citrate)

I wish I had known that one teaspoon of pure white sugar is only 4.2 grams. So, I was only looking at the carb count, I didn't care so much about the sugar, because it was just another carb. BUT its not, it spikes your blood glucose, then the insulin comes in. Now when I see 4 grams of sugar, I think of a teaspoon of sugar, and put it down. The biggest place they put the sugar in is condiments and sausages (off the top of my head).

@slimzandra ~ you're too kind. My objective with the blogs is to help newbies. I hope I help them.

I hope this helps,
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 194.9, 119 pounds down, 16 to go. 13.75 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites

So true! I am always surprised with how common it is to find sugar in packaged meats! I buy a lot of sausages because they are just so easy and darn tasty! It's kinda hard to find them with 0 carbs. One I do really like is Ole Smoky Moonshine brand! ;) the White Lightning and Apple Pie Moonshine are 0 carbs and super yummy!

Edited to say the brand is actually Wamplers. They have a variety of Ole Smoky Moonshine in different flavors.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known that artificial sweeteners can trigger cravings the same way sugar does (for me anyway). It would have made the first couple of months a lot easier to deal with....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I wish I would have known that artificial sweeteners can trigger cravings the same way sugar does (for me anyway). It would have made the first couple of months a lot easier to deal with....

For me too! And I didn't expect that either. I do find it important for my craving control to limit sweet flavored stuff even if it's stevia or whatever.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Yikes. How do you avoid kidney stones? Is that a major risk, and are there any early warning signs?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd have known how bad the first couple of weeks suck! Stick to it and you'll feel amazing!

I'm definitely in the sucky phase right now.....sat in an idiotic stupor and stared at my computer for about an hour last night.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options

I actually learned that this week! I haven't had any cravings hardly at all for 7 weeks but last weekend I had a few drinks with crysta light squirt bottles (0 carb 0 sugar) and I was freaking out the next 2 days wanting ice cream!!!! I don't even like ice cream lol.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Don't leave permissable "fast foods" at the front of the fridge and always log them to see the impact before eating.

Don't eat a piece of cake at a party no matter how small it is (I don't have a smart phone to log first, so it's bad news when I get home)
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known that drinking a cup of broth and/or adding salt to my meals in the beginning would help combat the Keto Flu. Thankfully, I didn't suffer as much as some. I can tell you that it is totally worth it when you come out the other side. I started the keto WOE on January 19th of this year. It's been an amazing year.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Yup, I am now not eating very much of them at all now. I have a Jello every other week. And maybe a fat bomb every now and again.

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    These are great as I have just started a few days ago! I am waiting for the 'crappy" feeling to set in...so far on day 3 I feel ok. A little tired and irritable but not sick feeling. Like the "Keto Flu" I keep reading about....I haven't felt that yet. I might turn into a b!+ch over the weekend though, lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The major effects of "keto flu" can be avoided by increasing your salt intake! If you get to feeling run down bite the bullet and get the salt out (whichever form you choose: pickles, pickle juice, pork skins, salt water....) and consume it. It helps! You'll be surprised! Ketoers need between 3000 and 5000 mg a day in the beginning!
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    These are so awesome to read! Today is day one. It went well... it is almost over but I am happy with how it turned out. It wasn't "perfect" by far but every step is better than nothing at all.