Replies

• nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    what does SAD stand for?
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Standard American Diet! The governments recommendation for keeping us healthy.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @nikoba standard american diet. Tho might as well be standard Western diet
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    there were simply very few carb-laden foods that still had any appeal to me.

For the most part this is me too. After eating before mentioned yogurt or Peanut Butter I generally will search for something more... but find that what I use to like is severely lacking in something... and go of searching for something 'more' whatever that is.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @nikoba, SAD stands for standard American diet. It's sad, lol!

I have managed to stay on the wagon. The health benefits have kept me on it. I have tested some foods along the way (gelato once, gastric distress!) To see what they would do to me. Keeps me safely on the wagon. I will be on it for always! :smiley:
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    Hard parmesan cheese and oberto Pepperoni sticks from Costco are my very best friend.

I have an ounce of thinly sliced parmesan cheese with 2 out of 3 meals. The nutty flavor and texture are very satisfying without eating a lot.

If you like parm, you'd love fontinella (not fontina, which is a much softer cheese)...I cut thin slices of fontinella with thin slices of sopresatta & a few olives as a light dinner sometimes.

• fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, it gives me some work and some thinking.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not tracking is my kryptonite - keeps me accountable to myself and I stay aware of what I'm eating. If I cheat and don't track (because the day's eating is "shot"), then it usually turns into more not tracking and carb creep. This time I'm trying to do a few things differently! I'm tracking everything, no matter what, but trying to not be judgemental with myself about it. So far its worked for almost four months. The other thing I did is I actually started this WOE two weeks into a new job - I figured if I could manage to eat properly during that kind of stress, I can do it anytime. I'm still super proud of myself for not taking advantage of a stressful period to give myself permission to abuse my body. Plus with some much upheaval and new habits being formed, it was a great time to add another new habit.

I think the last thing that makes me fall of the wagon, is this perception I have when my weight is low that I've "solved the problem" and that, somehow magically, I'm no longer insulin-resistant with PCOS. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to manage that nifty bit of psychological trickiness but I have the luxury of another 40 pounds to get it right.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @ambergem1969 Oh yes! Tracking is a HUGE factor for me too...sometimes guilt will keep me from doing it, and I admit I'm not the best on the weekends...but even tracking 75-80% of the time helps me stay on track and make better choices overall.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Simple - ice cream
  • natalialikescookies
    Options

amb312 wrote: »

If I nap during the day I wake up craving carbs like a junky. My blood sugar is fine but I just crave them so I have to be careful.

Omg yes!!!! Anytime I take a nap or even if I fall asleep while putting the kids down I wake up wanting to binge on everything remotely sweet in the house!! I have to really pause for a moment and not give in to that craving!
  • natalialikescookies
    natalialikescookies Posts: 72 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Also, attempting to have a small serving of starchy foods/sweets. It never works. I always spiral out of control.
    The same is true for special occasions "ok, just today on my birthday I'll have cake/pasta/bread". That also leads to a week long binge. Ugh.
    I really need to either work on that or simply not make exceptions anymore.

Edited for typos
  • Encadia
    Encadia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Believing the lies I tell myself.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Encadia wrote: »
    Believing the lies I tell myself.
    very good one. It did it for me last year when on a regular diet.
  • Vilzi
    Vilzi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue is beer! All my friends are beer drinkers. Beers get passed around at work every Friday afternoon. Last night I went to a brewery/bar that has this great food truck that serves delicious AND cheap wings every Wednesday night. I haven't been there since I changed to LCHF.
    When I got to the bar, they didn't have any good options for me, no vodka lime + soda for example (which is my go-to drink now) - just beer galore, and ciders.
    So then I'm the only one out of a large group of friends sitting at a table without a beer in front of them, and every time someone hopped up to grab a drink, they would offer to buy me a beer, asking why I wasn't drinking, etc... Someone made a joke that if I wasn't drinking, I must be pregnant :s
    Didn't succumb to peer pressure though, enjoyed the hell out of my chicken, and my partner made me a vodka and soda when I got home :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, it starts with stress and / or not feeling up to par. A lack of energy causes me to want carbs or to overeat. Being sick or stressed does it.

For me, it has been stumbles rather than falls. I'll eat more, or have some carb creep, but I haven't walked away and given up. I might struggle with evening snacking but my weght is the same or just a slower loss.

I'm trying to think of this diet as medically necessary, like a gluten-free diet is for me, and nut free is for my son. I can't fall off the wagon. The fall would be too hard.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    revertt2d wrote: »
    For those who don't fall off the wagon what keeps you on board?

I don't ever fall off the wagon because I cannot. Before I found keto, I had been experiencing neuropathy in my feet for 8-9 months. For me it presented as a combination of extreme burning pain (imagine someone roasting your feet over an open flame and this probably begins to come close to approximating how painful this is to experience), numbness and tingling (pins and needles) sometimes all at the same time. Keto has allowed me to control my blood sugar 100% without medication of any kind so much so that I rarely experience neuropathy anymore. It is extremely rare that I consume over 20 grams of sugar per day and most days my ingested sugar grams are usually far lower than that; however, that said, I have discovered the hard way that if I have one entire meal which contains more than 8 - 10 GRAMS of sugar total, that is enough sugar to cause the neuropathy in my feet to flare up. They get what I call "buzzy." It's a form of built-in aversion therapy and it's also a great BS detector where the accuracy of the reported nutritional data displayed foods which are marketed as "low carb" but which in truth are not "low carb." I've found more than a few food brands which purposefully list completely false nutritional data so the built-in aversion therapy is both a blessing and curse. So, what keeps me on the wagon? Simple: the knowledge that about 5 minutes after eating off-plan I will experience extreme pain is enough to keep my mouth shut. Being able to say "NO" to that awful pain allow me to pass on everything that I might be tempted by. I never had this kind of will-power prior to the neuropathy. Perhaps I should call it my super power...?! lol
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eating out and traveling. I failed today because we had to travel and go out to eat. :( I was weak and caved to 3 cheese bread sticks and then some caramel corn at the pumpkin patch. After 2 solid weeks and a couple inches off my waist and losing 7 lbs. ahhh but tomorrow I'm back to the plan and am going to do some major cardio before work to burn out the glycogen stores faster. Live and learn I guess. For me this is a way of life, not a diet, so I am trying not to be too hard on myself
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Chocolate - I let myself have 1 square of 74% dark a few times a week, but I binged once and had 4 squares. My mistake was to start eating with the package still open in front of me.

A few days ago, my worst error in the two months I've been on Keto. I found a bag of real chocolate my kids left something, I was in a bad mod and ate one, then two, then more - at least ten of them.

Ice Cream - none in the house - or I'd be beyond recovery.

Coffee yogurt - I was eating one a night but managed to stop eating them several weeks before Keto.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    If I get hungry I just eat fat. One go to is drinking a cup of Heavy Whipping Cream. Other times is is almonds and coconut flakes. If I want dessert I just do all three at the same time. If I gave into carbs I would gain weight.