Weight loss wardrobes

Options

Replies

• sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Goodwill is my best friend!! I've gone from 3X to 14/16 in the past year. I have 3 goodwill stores I can check on a regular basis. Lots of stuff new/almost new at great prices. All my workout clothes are from there too and that dri-fit type fabric is $$ in retail stores.

I have had the same size change. I haven't checked out Goodwill yet, but I am going to stop there soon. I go to Ross's a lot and shop on Amazon. When I find something I like but don't want to spend the money on something I plan to only wear a short time I can often find it cheaper there.

I can wear tops for longer than pants, so I have a few pair of pants in basic colors and mix up the tops. Also I am buying a belt for a shift style dress I love and want to wear on a cruise soon. I hope it gives it more shape. It is a size too large now.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I bought some of my clothes at a local thrift store or Walmart.

I love the idea of big city shopping at goal weight. For me, it would be another 50 or 60 pounds. But I really like the clothes in San Francisco.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just shopped in my closet...I was so sick of wearing the same 3 things every day to work...well now EVERYTHING except one or two items fits...!!! I threw away the 'fat' stuff...never again will I wear them. And I still am not at my goal!!

I was a closet shopper too! I understand the nervousness of getting rid of the bigger size. This time is going to be different!!! We are all doing this!!
  • clynns54
    clynns54 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I am making do by adding some inexpensive stuff as absolutely needed. When I hit goal I will revamp.

I am so looking forward to revamping down the road!! To actually enjoy shopping and have plenty of choices will be so awesome!
  • patrickjd9
    patrickjd9 Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For shirts, I've mostly been getting along with some taking in of side seams. I can do that myself if the shirt isn't too dressy. Going from 40 to 36 waist in the same pants is simply not possible. I had some smaller clothes, mostly size 38 pants, but they are now too big.

One odd thing is that, as I've gotten thinner, pants sit higher on my waist. I have several pair of khakis that would fit OK except that they are now too short!!!

I don't want to go overboard with buying because I'm still over 20 pounds from my goal, but don't see much choice.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    My wardrobe reads like a 'this was your life.' I remember dating so and so when I bought that dress. I gained 30 pounds while dating him. Next size down: oh, I was engaged to so and so and gained 30 pounds. I worked for so and so and he complained I wore one particular dress each week. He told me it was a faux pas. Little did he know, I was gaining so rapidly - that stretchy dress had a lot of give. Today, I wish I could fit in that stretchy dress. Oh well, I have given away so much clothing - I have almost nothing left - again.

Hopefully I will enjoy creating new memories in smaller clothing, while I am putting me first.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    My wardrobe reads like a 'this was your life.' I remember dating so and so when I bought that dress. I gained 30 pounds while dating him. Next size down: oh, I was engaged to so and so and gained 30 pounds. I worked for so and so and he complained I wore one particular dress each week. He told me it was a faux pas. Little did he know, I was gaining so rapidly - that stretchy dress had a lot of give. Today, I wish I could fit in that stretchy dress. Oh well, I have given away so much clothing - I have almost nothing left - again.

Hopefully I will enjoy creating new memories in smaller clothing, while I am putting me first.

Your boss had some cheek. A faux pas? Well I would have said "I don't get paid enough to buy a new dress every week.". I hate bosses like that.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    I called him on it after he made a similar comment. He suggested, a dress that would look flattering. I stood where he couldn't see one of my colleagues and asked him what she was wearing. He wrinkled his nose and said, " how would I know what she's wearing?" I said, exactly! All you care about is that she is here and doing her job! That's all you need to be thinking about here.

The world is a funny place for sure.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Wardrobes: last week I bought a pair of jeans because I only had one pair that fit. A smaller pair that did not fit last week - fits. After wearing it for only two hours, I had to pull up my pants or offend someone. Lol. Now I know why I have seen so many people 50+ wear sweat suits. I am joining the crowd. I should be able to get 3 sizes out of an elastic band!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have a slightly fancy work event Monday during the day and might go shopping Saturday because I am convinced that I all my clothes are tired looking.
    Sometimes, something new helps me see how worthwhile it has been to lose weight and to keep focusing on the next goal. That is the hope anyway.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    So, apparently I am supposed to go with stretchy Jean material. I did some research, but I don't want to spend $100 on something called Not Your Daughter's Jeans. Especially not until I am in maintenance.

Does anyone have any suggestions for women's jeans (size 14) that have some stretch to them - so they don't sag in a couple of hours. I am hoping to stay in the $20 to $25 range.

I did learn (again) that I don't like low rise jeans that press against my bladder - not to mention a not too flattering bulge runneth over!

Any ideas?
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I got some decent jeans at Target. I think the are called Denizen, may be a store brand.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    With the weight loss and power lifting, I am looking increasing good in this skin outfit.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I have an idea for pants for the ladies that has worked for me.......buy a nice pair of long black workout pants with a bit of a flared or boot cut leg. You can dress them up or down with different tops or boots but they'll last a long time while you're losing. It's helped me a lot!

I also started wearing tighter fitting stretchy tops.........they still look good, or even better, as you lose weight!

Don't wear any of these to the gym though because then you won't feel dressed up when you wear them out to dinner or to work.

Also, buy one or two nice pairs of jeans, wear them as long as you can and then hand them down. Pants don't matter as much as tops......IMO! And tops are cheaper to buy!

And seriously.........at our age, none of us want to go through this again, this is it, give the big clothes away.

Someone needs them but it won't be you!

• chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    True, Lulu. I am finding myself buying one or two pairs of tighter "leggings" and wearing some of my looser (longer) tops over them. I am STILL astounded by the changes this old body is going through! LOL. You are right, I do not ever want to go back.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    So, apparently I am supposed to go with stretchy Jean material. I did some research, but I don't want to spend $100 on something called Not Your Daughter's Jeans. Especially not until I am in maintenance.

Does anyone have any suggestions for women's jeans (size 14) that have some stretch to them - so they don't sag in a couple of hours. I am hoping to stay in the $20 to $25 range.

I did learn (again) that I don't like low rise jeans that press against my bladder - not to mention a not too flattering bulge runneth over!

Any ideas?

Yes. I happened to be in Sears and found a pair of Lee's Riders. Stretchy and not low cut. Look great and very comfy. I think they were around $25, give or take a couple of bucks.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Also try the Hospice thrift stores for some great clothes. I got a beautiful black leather (Gap) jacket there for $12.00...it looks brand new. I've also gotten clothes with the original price tags on them. It's a treasure hunt when I go there!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Im with Bill, as soon as my clothes become too big. their gone! Charity bag them. I aint Never going back. :)
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Im with Bill, as soon as my clothes become too big. their gone! Charity bag them. I aint Never going back. :)

Me too.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    me, three