Mobility and Bar Burn

Options
CarlKRobbo
CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
So, Just incase anyone knows about this stuff.....

Bar Burn - Where you put the bar on your back for squats...... Bar burn is a bit extreme at the moment, anyone else had this? It's on and off for me, but 20 sets of squats on Volume day. That was painful! Any tips?

Also Mobilty. I've got way behind on this.. That stretch where you clasp your hands behind your back, and extend, takes me 6 seconds to get there... so speaking of which... Anyone got some beginner tips for streching and helping to improve this? I think this lack of mobility is causing my elbow pain, and other items

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This sounds a lot like me at the moment. Sorry - I don't have any advice, but I'm tagging along to follow.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how many days per week do you squat?
  • CarlKRobbo
    Options
    About 4 Times... LOTS of variation. Main Squat day has 20 Sets, inc 10 x 3 @80% etc. I'm not squatting tonight, but am due to tomorrow night.

Volume phase ATM, Hence the high workload, 4K calories to assist recovery....
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What kind of mobility are you looking to improve specifically? It sounds like shoulders specifically? For bar placement for squatting I assume, given the context?

Biggest things I've found to help with that are shoulder dislocations (I use a band but you can use a tube of some kind). I do at least three sets using different grip widths, every workout. Having said that, if you're squatting low bar I think wrist and/or elbow stress is inevitable. Depending on how you place your grip you will be hurting one or the other over time. I position myself in such a way that it puts more stress on my elbows (since bending my wrists back really hurts my carpal tunnel). Elbow cuffs/sleeves help but only so much. Wider grip may become a necessity for me at some point in the future, but I lose upper back tightness so I've avoided this so far and just work on rehabbing my elbows instead. Some things to think about in that area.

That's all my experience, anyway.

Bar burn, where specifically? I've found that wearing a tight compression shirt and then wearing a normal cotton t-shirt over that helps a lot. But most of the bar that is contacting my back is the smooth portion so it really doesn't hurt me too much in the first place (I only do maybe 20 sets of squats a week though). If your bar is shifting around too much resulting in irritation, you could try grip/friction tape on the smooth part to keep it from moving around. Or alternatively, if the knurled portion of the bar is irritating you somewhere, you could tape that part up instead using a smoother, rubberized tape like you would find on a tennis racket (I think it's called overgrip tape or something?). Combination of everything may help.

Or just go with the pusssy pad. :wink:
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I vote NO on the sissy pad!
  • CarlKRobbo
    Options
    Hi @DopeItUp. Almost - Shoulders are the main part, but I also need more.. I'm starting a Yoga class Next weekend to help with that as well.

I normally do Band Pullaparts AND shoulder dislocates before bench, and if I feel tight, I'll up that to daily though.

I'll see if I've got a compression top I can use, Might have a few - Bulkers problems - Outgrowing a lot of clothes ATM! :)

Also vote no on the *kitten* pad - I think my gym would Bar me for using that lol!!

• SideSteel
    Options
    lol at the bar pad

Buddy of mine (trainer at our gym) will stick it on the smith and then put the clips on the ends of the bar, and then just leave it there.

Of course he also takes the bosu ball and regularly hides it as far from the gym floor as he can to prevent other people from using it. Lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sure, your "buddy."
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Lol