Eat Meat and Stop Jogging

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
I think FIT_Goat mentioned this book not too long ago. It's currently a free kindle book (no idea for how long):
http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Meat-And-Stop-Jogging-ebook/dp/B00JBNPV06/ref=zg_bs_156430011_f_34

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Currently at $3.07

It's one of the things that makes me laugh about keto is how counter it is to all the "good advice" we get from the government etc. My mum, who is a big proponent of low fat and strenuous exercise, nearly blew a gasket when she heard I was low carb.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's actually 2.99 here (still a great deal). Was free for the kindle unlimited folks though. Thanks for the link. Did buy it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I downloaded it with kindle unlimited. (even though I dislike the title lol)
  • wabmester
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sorry about that -- I guess it only stayed free for a couple hours after I posted.

I skimmed the book. Do not pay for it!

He spends 165 pages giving the usual reasons to not restrict calories and not do chronic cardio.

At the end, he essentially says "now that you know what not to do, you need to buy another book where I tell you what you should do instead."

Oy.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Thumbed to page 22. This is a keeper out there in the cloud at that price. :)

I have always struggled with understanding the fat/muscle loss/gain rations. The book seems to handle that well early on.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I figure I can't lose for $3 so I bought it. Will give it a read later tonight!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

@wabmester what is your agenda for slamming this book? I have scanned to page 168 and as one holding a terminal degree in a healthcare field (OD) I would call this book a must read for anyone interested in or doing LCHF way of eating. It really pulls together a lot of the false and factual research out there that can help us understand why LCHF works so well for solving so many problems. $3 for an easy to read book with supporting evidence makes sense for health reasons for me and my family.
  • wabmester
    Options
    As I mentioned above, it's essentially a 165-page commercial for another book. The book is fine, but it's just about the "don'ts," which probably isn't what most people are expecting. At least, it's not what I was expecting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm about to go on a 4-day work trip. I already have Phinney and Volk, and now have this one. Commence reading!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm about 15% into it and am liking it so far!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    As I mentioned above, it's essentially a 165-page commercial for another book. The book is fine, but it's just about the "don'ts," which probably isn't what most people are expecting. At least, it's not what I was expecting.

$5 off his new book for feedback on this one on the last page does not seem out of line. Did you check out his references for each chapter? After 14 months of researching this subject this book pulled it all together for me in an easy to read non technical way.
  • wabmester
    Options
    As long as you know what you're getting, it's fine. Basically it's part 1 of a 2 part book set. Here's how book 2 is described:

After exposing the conventional approach to getting fit, with Eat Meat And Stop Jogging, Mike Sheridan delivers his progressive plan for losing the fat and keeping it off without restricting calories, over-exercising, or sacrificing health. Book 2 is a rock-solid step-by-step blueprint that transforms the average person into a strong, healthy, fat burning machine.

So, the Eat Meat book gives you the background info, and the second book gives you the how-to.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I just finished it. I liked the book. Felt it helped me understand more about the benefits of this woe too! Worth the price in my opinion. I won't be purchasing the second book since I feel like I have a handle on the how to at this point.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!

I have been trying to find a physical copy of this book for months, which doesn't seem to be available in New Zealand. I can finally read it now. I didn't even think to look for an online version.
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    But I LIKE jogging :wink:
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

THANK YOU!

I have been trying to find a physical copy of this book for months, which doesn't seem to be available in New Zealand. I can finally read it now. I didn't even think to look for an online version.

For the price of a gallon of gas today to get the Phinney/Volek book is an awesome deal if one is interested at any level in the science behind LCHF.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

THANK YOU!

For the price of a gallon of gas today to get the Phinney/Volek book is an awesome deal if one is interested at any level in the science behind LCHF.

Petrol is very cheap in the USA, I'm off to read and turn green with envy :smile:, the book was not $1.99US when I looked but it was still cheap, worked out to be about $11 here in New Zealand. Better than the $75 an overseas website quoted me for a hard copy. Our petrol equates to about USD$4.62 a gallon, if I calculated right, for 91 octane.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thank-you - love my kindle reading especially learning this WOE. Just got both online books, both at the top prices quoted above, but looking at them being an investment into my health.