Strength Training

Options
Candicem99
Candicem99 Posts: 71 Member
Does anyone do strength training at home with just dumbbells? I want to start lifting and I know heavy lifting is the way to go. I only have dumbbells up to 15 pounds and a barbell from Body Pump which has a total of 37 pounds. Will this work to start out? What is the best workout to follow? My only background with lifting is P90X and BodyPump. I have heard that BodyPump which I love has too much of a cardio effect and is not good for fat loss. Any opinions?

Replies

• Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Heavy is what is heavy for you. If what you have at the moment is heavy for you then it will work to start out. When 37lbs feels too easy to lift, it's time for more weight.

I started with a 4kg kettle bell at home, and have graduated to an 6kg kettle bell and feel like it is nearly time to graduate again to an 8kg. I feel stronger and when I pick up my original 4kg it feels like I nearly throw it through the ceiling ;) So it's working! I plan to keep up kettle bell workouts, and one day get a barbell and weights for a home gym.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    Never used kettlebells. Do you follow a particular workout? I like working out to DVDs but can't find any for weight lifting, but have seen some for kettlebells.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I strength train at home.
    I use a weight machine, dumbells, step, tubes, etc.

Check out www.dumbbell-exercises.com

• Candicem99
    Options
    I strength train at home.
    I use a weight machine, dumbells, step, tubes, etc.

Check out www.dumbbell-exercises.com

Thanks.
  • Mindylee143
    Mindylee143 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm doing ChaLean Extreme right now, and getting some great muscle gains. I only use dumbells...I have a whole set from 8 lbs. to 60 lbs. now, but in the beginning all I had was 8s and 12s. I just had to invest in the weights when I could. Use what you have until you feel like you can move up, and are at a place where you are able to invest a little money in buying more weights.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also, plate weights on dumbbell handles gives option of a bar later and already having weights. Just need bar and rack at that point.
    4 x 2.5 lbs
    4 x 5 lbs
    4 x 10 lbs

That gives you 40 lbs probably each side, if using olympic sized plates/handles. 80 lbs total.

Add another 4 x 10 lbs plates when needed.
  • Candicem99
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise. Still looking for a good workout routine that I can do.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Check out Nia Shanks. She has good body weight routines or bodybuilding.com
  • Candicem99
    Options
    wannabf1t wrote: »
    Check out Nia Shanks. She has good body weight routines or bodybuilding.com

I did look at her website and someone else recommended her also. I need to find one that only incorporates dumbbells and no gym equipment
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Youtube, you should be able to find some exercises that you can string together yourself. Check Jaime Eason on google.