Goggles

Options
troutgulch
troutgulch Posts: 30 Member
I am looking for a great pair of goggles! Does anyone have a favorite brand that they can recommend?

Replies

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    There are so many choices for this question it gets hard to make a recommendation. My current pair are Speedo Hydrospex, and I've been happy with them thus far. But I've also been happy with Tyr and several other brands.

What I found more useful was a range ...

Anything in the 'bargain' range of $7 or less isn't worth buying. They will start leaking or fogging almost immediately, the straps break quickly. They are essentially 'disposable' at best.

Anything over $25 and you are paying for 'brand' or 'style' not function. Unless you are a serious competitive level swimmer or have some highly specific needs, you are just overpaying at this level.

The 'sweet spot' for 'functional' is about $13-$20
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I swear by my Sporti prescription goggles. Based on advice here, I have NEVER touched the inside with my finger. Ever. As far as fogging, it's safe to say that my goggles don't get as many opportunities to fog up as some others here on the board, lol. But I have been known to give them long swims or short hard ones, and they seem to be holding up well. If you wear glasses, these are a really great, reasonably priced option. I've had a different experience than Stephen--they cost about $7 and have outlasted my Speedo Vanquishers ($20). Go figure...
  • troutgulch
    Options
    There are so many choices for this question it gets hard to make a recommendation. My current pair are Speedo Hydrospex, and I've been happy with them thus far. But I've also been happy with Tyr and several other brands.

What I found more useful was a range ...

Anything in the 'bargain' range of $7 or less isn't worth buying. They will start leaking or fogging almost immediately, the straps break quickly. They are essentially 'disposable' at best.

Anything over $25 and you are paying for 'brand' or 'style' not function. Unless you are a serious competitive level swimmer or have some highly specific needs, you are just overpaying at this level.

The 'sweet spot' for 'functional' is about $13-$20[

Thank you! I will continue to experiment until I find a good pair! I may be hard on the goggles by swimming daily and not paying very much in the first place...
  • troutgulch
    Options
    I swear by my Sporti prescription goggles. Based on advice here, I have NEVER touched the inside with my finger. Ever. As far as fogging, it's safe to say that my goggles don't get as many opportunities to fog up as some others here on the board, lol. But I have been known to give them long swims or short hard ones, and they seem to be holding up well. If you wear glasses, these are a really great, reasonably priced option. I've had a different experience than Stephen--they cost about $7 and have outlasted my Speedo Vanquishers ($20). Go figure...

Wow. Prescription goggles. I'm googling. Thanks. Laura
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I wear the Speedo Hydrospex, too, and have for several years. They fit my face and I don't have to spend lots of time adjusting them. They last varying amounts of time depending on how I treat them but seem to be a good value. I do find that they last longer since I started hanging them on the outside of my swim bag rather than shoving them in there with everything else, which seems to accelerate the warp of the seal.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    troutgulch wrote: »

Wow. Prescription goggles. I'm googling. Thanks. Laura

Read reviews. My vision is -550 and -600. I wear -4 with the goggles. The water magnifies things to some extent. In spite of the difference, I can still read the clocks (one is a bit blurry, but it's analog and farther away). It's been awesome not having to wear contacts in the pool.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Brand is less important to me than fit because of the shape of my eye socket. I agree with @stephenrhinton about he "sweet spot"-- $15 is about my budget estimate, but my other rule is that I never buy a pair I can't take out of the package and try on and do the "stick test"-- e.g., if they can stay in place for a minute or so without the strap, then the suction is about right and the fit around they eye is correct. Decent retailers will let you do that, but discount houses like Walmart won't.
  • troutgulch
    Options
    I wear the Speedo Hydrospex, too, and have for several years. They fit my face and I don't have to spend lots of time adjusting them. They last varying amounts of time depending on how I treat them but seem to be a good value. I do find that they last longer since I started hanging them on the outside of my swim bag rather than shoving them in there with everything else, which seems to accelerate the warp of the seal.

Thanks. I will keep my goggles out of the bag from now on--great tip!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree with rosebarnalice - if you can take them out of the packet and do the stick test before buying then that is best. I seem to have odd shaped eye sockets and most goggles just don't fit me/leak after one length. But I did find zoggs ladies fusion air goggles fitted and they are brilliant for me (around the $15 mark - converted from pounds).
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life I have prescription goggles! I bought them on sale this past weekend - speedo vanquishers. What a great thing it is to see the clock clearly, the grout line in the tiles, and everything else too! Wow!

But I guess you see the yuck too, like hair balls etc. Yesterday his guy ahead of me had Kleenex in his pocket so I watched the bits flowing behind him like little white flags flowing in the lane.
  • troutgulch
    Options
    SwimmyD wrote: »
    For the first time in my life I have prescription goggles! I bought them on sale this past weekend - speedo vanquishers. What a great thing it is to see the clock clearly, the grout line in the tiles, and everything else too! Wow!

But I guess you see the yuck too, like hair balls etc. Yesterday his guy ahead of me had Kleenex in his pocket so I watched the bits flowing behind him like little white flags flowing in the lane.

• troutgulch
    Options
    troutgulch wrote: »
    SwimmyD wrote: »

These look great! I'll try these next! ...AND HOPE that I don't spot hairballs, etc.!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My favorite are Aquashpere. They sit on the orbital bone rather than inside it. Very comfortable. I swim a few hours a day so comfort is key.
    The race style goggles give me a headache.