What worked for me

Options
memere101
memere101 Posts: 461 Member
I was asked to make a post about what I've done to lose over 40 pounds. Well as the title states this is just what worked for me. I was very lucky in the fact that my hubby joined me on this journey. It definitely made meal time a lot easier. We decided to begin eating healthier and walking. We added lots of veggies and fruits and have smaller portions. I started making green smoothies for our breakfast. We generally only cook a semi big meal on Sunday, and even that is a healthy meal. Usually grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli, or other veggies. We've always loved to go out for dinner and we still do we just always order salads now. Generally a grilled chicken salad, I only use about a teaspoon of dressing if any at all so I always get the dressing on the side, and I usually only eat half the salad and have the other half for lunch the next day. I only drink water. Our usual meals are very basic foods, sometimes we just have oatmeal with blueberries and chia seeds or egg whites scrambled with sautéed spinach and kale for dinner.
My biggest challenge has been reducing and trying to eliminate added sugars. We have a lot of birthday dinners here so I actually enjoy trying to come up with new healthy alternatives for dinner and desserts. I don't deny myself having a dessert when we are all celebrating, I just make sure I watch my portion size.

Replies

• memere101
    Options
    As far as exercising goes, I'm limited to low impact. I like to walk and did a lot of Leslie sansons walk away the pounds DVDs. I have a Fitbit and love to do the challenges. I also added some strength exercises using Dumbbells.
    Logging my food and finding friends on here was a big help. Having challenges really helps to motivate me.
  • shilton01
    shilton01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My struggle is keeping it off. Lost 50 pounds the healthy way and somehow have managed to put 20 back on. This week I decided to recommit and start again. Could sure use help with accountability.
  • memere101
    Options
    Shilton01....this group will be a great place to find accountability. It definitely makes you think twice about cheating when you have friends pulling for you :smile:
  • Stef1959
    Stef1959 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 40 pounds memere! I'm glad you've been so successful - I'm also trying to get back to basics with the food I eat and stay away from added sugars, sugar substitutes, MSG, and preservatives as much as possible.
  • audreydgreen
    audreydgreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi memere101, Congrats on the weight loss, I just wanted to know how long did it take you to loss the 40 lbs?
  • katnip40
    katnip40 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hi ladies, I'm having problems with my eating on the weekends. I do absolutely marvelous during the week. I'm rarely cheating but on the weekends it's like i lose my freaking mind. Part of my problem is my husband (gotta blame someone) and that's because we work different hours so we only get to spend time together on the weekend and so we eat out a lot. we both love food and we like to go and try all the new restaurants and you all know that its hard to eat healthy when eating out, at least it is for me. bread is my weakness and i tell myself that i'm only going to have one piece but that very and i do mean very seldom works. i also tell myself that i'm going to eat from the skinny menu but after going over the menu and smelling all the entrees passing by that choice quickly fades away so then i'm eating and sampling everything on the table. you see my husband walks on his job all night for 12-14 hrs and although i work out for at least 30 mins on weekdays my weight loss does not measure up to his. we all know that when men set their mind to losing weight it comes off much quicker then ours do. with all this said i know what to do but for some reason i can't train my mind to do it on the weekends so most of the time i end up gaining back a lb or 2 from my weekend splurges. i must tell you that this weekend was the best because i wasn't with my husband....lol sounds crazy i know :)

by the way ladies i keep a prayer journey and i'm going to add you all to it. i will be praying for our journeys and our families.

til next time