Help me explain LCHF to a MFP friend

Options
2»

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

When people refer to carbs causing cravings, particularly in someone like I have mentioned is Insulin Resistant, it is not a shot in the dark to guess that reducing them will help reduce cravings and hunger when replaced with fat. It's not a guess that it might work. It's more like, to what extent will it work?
    Everyone obviously knows it's not magic but you'll certainly hear people that finally found a way to get control of their out of control sugar/carb binges singing its praises as if it were actual magic, because when it works, which it does more often than not, when done properly, it sure as hell feels like magic!
    Maybe you don't know how insulin and insulin resistance work? The hunger is a hormonal response that is not emotional in any way. Emotions are their own battle when it comes to food.
    Even non insulin resistant people get hungrier with an insulin response. My Type 1 daughter will be kinda hungry and ready for dinner, then take her insulin injection when almost ready to eat, and almost immediately be starving! And if she waits to take the shot right after eating, she will often suddenly want more food even if she was just full.
    Insulin resistance and T2D is a problem where too much insulin is being produced. Too much of a hormone that stores fat and makes us hungry is a recipe for out of control obesity, most certainly leading to much more suffering.
    Fat provides a steady, non glucose energy that burns slowly and sticks with you. I don't have a clue why it doesn't work for you. I don't recall any posts where you've talked about it. Maybe I missed them? I do know there's a whole lot of other great choices for good high fat foods besides bacon and I'm sure there's a perfect balance for you.

Please don't discount my personal experience. I have lost (collectively) close to 150 pounds and have maintained the weight loss (collectively) for more than a decade. When my weight has gone back up is when the stress in my life reaches a breaking point and I shift into survival mode - and that means doing what is efficient, meets my emotional needs, but is not necessarily healthy. I do not experience hunger, nor do I have cravings when I eat a calorie deficit, traditionally balanced diet that eliminates all added sugar and most fats, but includes the traditional amount of good quality carbs. I know very well what causes my cravings, and what doesn't, and whether I experience hunger or not. That self-knowledge is what has allowed me to very easily shed from 30-60 lbs, during the few times in my adult life that have been stress-free enough that I can devote the attention to it - rather than just grabbing whatever is convenient when I head home at 2 AM, or hitting the pizza buffet when I manage to head home early because I love the taste of barbecue pizza and it gives me a brief break during which no one (work or home) is making demands on me.

It is not a matter of not knowing how insulin resistance works. I am insulin resistant, and I am telling you what I actually experience - not the theory of how it is supposed to work. I doubt that I'm any kind of special snowflake for whom a moderate amount of high quality carbs is one of the things that keeps my cravings away - and fat is one of the things that trigger them.

I don't disagree that others have a different experience - your daughter's experience is not mine. Nor is my experience your daughter's. That does not invalidate either experience.

Low Carb, Moderate Protein will be a struggle for me long term - because I can't have the carbs that stave off cravings and I have to eat fats that cause them in order to consume the calories my body needs. For me it will be a matter of figuring out which ones I can eat that trigger the most manageable cravings - and how to cope with the cravings I can't stave off with a good multi-grain roll.

(You haven't seen posts on this issue for me, since I have just been forced into a low carb diet. My knowledge about when I experience hunger and cravings is based on 30 years and at least three large weight losses, and 3 extended maintenance periods. Refining the cravings caused by fat is new to me, since - in the past - I have addressed the cravings by eliminating most fat from my diet. Problem solved. Can't do that this time, since substituting protein for carbs is not healthy - at least for someone with diabetes. So I have to tinker, and I am in the process of refining which fats cause the least cravings. So far cheese & nut butters seem ok. Bacon, not so much. Can't stand avocados. Full fat, or fat added yogurt, fixed the way I like it, has too many carbs (and I'm not fond of the taste of the full or added fat - but I'm working on other alternatives.)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I specifically didn't mention insulin because the appetite suppression mechanism isn't really understood, AFAIK, and it does apply to other types of diets as well. There are many people who find the same success with "paleo," for example.

But restricting to 20g guarantees ketosis, and there is a known reduction in grhelin (a hunger hormone) associated with ketosis. So go for the Sure Thing and then add other foods to see if you can keep it going.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

When people refer to carbs causing cravings, particularly in someone like I have mentioned is Insulin Resistant, it is not a shot in the dark to guess that reducing them will help reduce cravings and hunger when replaced with fat. It's not a guess that it might work. It's more like, to what extent will it work?
    Everyone obviously knows it's not magic but you'll certainly hear people that finally found a way to get control of their out of control sugar/carb binges singing its praises as if it were actual magic, because when it works, which it does more often than not, when done properly, it sure as hell feels like magic!
    Maybe you don't know how insulin and insulin resistance work? The hunger is a hormonal response that is not emotional in any way. Emotions are their own battle when it comes to food.
    Even non insulin resistant people get hungrier with an insulin response. My Type 1 daughter will be kinda hungry and ready for dinner, then take her insulin injection when almost ready to eat, and almost immediately be starving! And if she waits to take the shot right after eating, she will often suddenly want more food even if she was just full.
    Insulin resistance and T2D is a problem where too much insulin is being produced. Too much of a hormone that stores fat and makes us hungry is a recipe for out of control obesity, most certainly leading to much more suffering.
    Fat provides a steady, non glucose energy that burns slowly and sticks with you. I don't have a clue why it doesn't work for you. I don't recall any posts where you've talked about it. Maybe I missed them? I do know there's a whole lot of other great choices for good high fat foods besides bacon and I'm sure there's a perfect balance for you.

Please don't discount my personal experience. I have lost (collectively) close to 150 pounds and have maintained the weight loss (collectively) for more than a decade. When my weight has gone back up is when the stress in my life reaches a breaking point and I shift into survival mode - and that means doing what is efficient, meets my emotional needs, but is not necessarily healthy. I do not experience hunger, nor do I have cravings when I eat a calorie deficit, traditionally balanced diet that eliminates all added sugar and most fats, but includes the traditional amount of good quality carbs. I know very well what causes my cravings, and what doesn't, and whether I experience hunger or not. That self-knowledge is what has allowed me to very easily shed from 30-60 lbs, during the few times in my adult life that have been stress-free enough that I can devote the attention to it - rather than just grabbing whatever is convenient when I head home at 2 AM, or hitting the pizza buffet when I manage to head home early because I love the taste of barbecue pizza and it gives me a brief break during which no one (work or home) is making demands on me.

It is not a matter of not knowing how insulin resistance works. I am insulin resistant, and I am telling you what I actually experience - not the theory of how it is supposed to work. I doubt that I'm any kind of special snowflake for whom a moderate amount of high quality carbs is one of the things that keeps my cravings away - and fat is one of the things that trigger them.

I don't disagree that others have a different experience - your daughter's experience is not mine. Nor is my experience your daughter's. That does not invalidate either experience.

Low Carb, Moderate Protein will be a struggle for me long term - because I can't have the carbs that stave off cravings and I have to eat fats that cause them in order to consume the calories my body needs. For me it will be a matter of figuring out which ones I can eat that trigger the most manageable cravings - and how to cope with the cravings I can't stave off with a good multi-grain roll.

(You haven't seen posts on this issue for me, since I have just been forced into a low carb diet. My knowledge about when I experience hunger and cravings is based on 30 years and at least three large weight losses, and 3 extended maintenance periods. Refining the cravings caused by fat is new to me, since - in the past - I have addressed the cravings by eliminating most fat from my diet. Problem solved. Can't do that this time, since substituting protein for carbs is not healthy - at least for someone with diabetes. So I have to tinker, and I am in the process of refining which fats cause the least cravings. So far cheese & nut butters seem ok. Bacon, not so much. Can't stand avocados. Full fat, or fat added yogurt, fixed the way I like it, has too many carbs (and I'm not fond of the taste of the full or added fat - but I'm working on other alternatives.)

Im not discounting your experience at all. But you being someone that as you explain has better appetite control with more carbs and less fat... I just don't know what you were offering on the subject of my trying to provide helpful information to a friend that does have major carb cravings. I hope it wasn't "learn moderation", but I was feeling that. Perhaps I totally misunderstood.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In fairness, PCOS is often an issue with insulin. I know that in my experience with fighting PCOS, The Primal Blueprint quite literally saved my life, because it gave me hope at a time when I didn't have any. I had been struggling for years and hadn't gotten anywhere at all. Zero weight loss, despite following and struggling with MFP's defaults and exercising my tail off.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Im not discounting your experience at all. But you being someone that as you explain has better appetite control with more carbs and less fat... I just don't know what you were offering on the subject of my trying to provide helpful information to a friend that does have major carb cravings. I hope it wasn't "learn moderation", but I was feeling that. Perhaps I totally misunderstood.

I didn't read the OP as indicating carb cravings. The friend's journal suggested sugar addiction, and a recommendation by her doctor that was not being followed to limit carbs, but didn't address hunger or cravings specifically, at all. Those suggestions came from the thread.

I'm not suggesting that "learning moderation," is the best approach for this friend - it apparently hasn't worked yet. What I am suggesting is that the the over-the-top enthusiasm, to the point of almost guaranteeing an absence of hunger and cravings, may make it that much harder for someone who tries it on that basis and then discovers that they are still dealing with cravings and hunger - it can make them feel like even more of a failure.

So the only moderation I am advocating is in in how the OP advertises the WOE to her friend - as something that many people find makes their relationship with food easier, just leaving out the near guarantees. It was the near guarantees that I was reacting to, because they do not match my experience. Had I been counting on this WOE to solve that problem, I would have been sorely disappointed.

• RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Thank you so much for the information you passed on to Sunny. I did a lot of research last night and today. I'm sure it's only just beginning and I have a lot to learn. I am going to give this a go. I did have one doctor many years ago tell me to try Atkins but at that point I really didn't understand. I've tried many diets since then and at one point had lost almost 100lbs. It all came back and then some. I've been struggling for a long time to find balance with food as I have struggled with horrible eating disorders for most of my life. Add to that medications that cause cravings and weight gain with pcos and it and you get a fun pot of 340lbs. Something I am not proud of but am really willing to work hard on. The lchf looks like something I can do and my husband is willing to join me on it for the most part. I am sure I will have lots of questions and I thank you in advance for helping me with those.

Thank you all for your help so far and I look forward to getting to know you.

Becca
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's great! It helps a lot that your husband is in too. Good luck, and keep checking in!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Thank you so much for the information you passed on to Sunny. I did a lot of research last night and today. I'm sure it's only just beginning and I have a lot to learn. I am going to give this a go. I did have one doctor many years ago tell me to try Atkins but at that point I really didn't understand. I've tried many diets since then and at one point had lost almost 100lbs. It all came back and then some. I've been struggling for a long time to find balance with food as I have struggled with horrible eating disorders for most of my life. Add to that medications that cause cravings and weight gain with pcos and it and you get a fun pot of 340lbs. Something I am not proud of but am really willing to work hard on. The lchf looks like something I can do and my husband is willing to join me on it for the most part. I am sure I will have lots of questions and I thank you in advance for helping me with those.

Becca

Welcome Becca and, best of luck to you as you find your way into the wonderful world of LCHF! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @neohdiver I understand what you're saying. I really wanted to just provide good sources for information so she can make her own choices but you are right that not everyone has the same level of those feelings of hunger/craving control. But, even when it doesn't work like the magic we sometimes might explain it as, it's certainly easier than the high carb WOE and attempting the moderation method.
    @RebeccaMaunder that's why many people will suggest trying the lowest carb goal at least for getting started. Like @wabmester said here
    wabmester wrote: »
    I have a friend on here that has posted about how they don't understand how others are able to have such low calories, because though they try so hard, they struggle every day trying to stick to goal.

All of the books and movies seem to miss the central point -- the one about appetite and cravings. Maybe it's because the mechanisms are poorly understood.

So I would let her know that it's still a well-kept Secret. The struggle is real for those people. Your body will fight you if you try to restrict calories using willpower.

Our Secret is that we've found a way to reduce calories without willpower. We've discovered that if you eliminate certain foods that have an almost-drug-like effect on you, your calorie intake naturally drops, and the fat just melts away.

So if she has tried other approaches and is frustrated, I would frame it as "why not try this for 30 days."

Now you know that I believe it can work with higher carb intake, but restricting to something like 20g carbs will ensure that she dumps all of the drug-foods. So tell her to simply restrict to 20g carbs, no artificial sweeteners, and double her sodium intake for 30 days and then let you know if The Secret worked for her. :)

Cold turkey is hard for a few days. Then ketosis kicks in and helps strengthen your will, hopefully before you run out of will power to help you keep going through adaption.
    It's how I would recommend starting out too.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options

Becca

Welcome to our big family! :)
    Some of the best info about LC is in the stickies above.
    my 2 cents, it's the most easy WOE I've ever been on!
    83 lbs gone, 93 lbs to go

>:) OR o:)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca, Welcome!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I specifically didn't mention insulin because the appetite suppression mechanism isn't really understood, AFAIK, and it does apply to other types of diets as well. There are many people who find the same success with "paleo," for example.

But restricting to 20g guarantees ketosis, and there is a known reduction in grhelin (a hunger hormone) associated with ketosis. So go for the Sure Thing and then add other foods to see if you can keep it going.

I'm one of those that still deals with cravings and with hunger quite often. I imagine it's at least in part of my IR. Regardless, the biggest gift low carbing gave to me was the feeling of "POSSIBLE." That was a feeling that had been foreign to me my whole life. No what I did, it never stuck.

Weight loss of any kind required extreme measures, life and my body required medications that were not good to me (one caused 40+ pounds of weight gain in 3-6 months). It required pain and suffering for minimal progress, or worse, huge setbacks when a "normal, non-metabolically challenged" would have made huge strides. At so many points in my life, I just gave up, because everything was impossible.

I didn't have the knowledge or life experience or any of those things I have now... It took some serious bad stuff to happen to me for me to really figure out that I could fight, that fighting was possible, that it was my brain, far more than my body, that I need to work on. I know this is not the same for everyone or even anyone else.

But saying that, while I do still have cravings and wild hunger sometimes, managing them now is more POSSIBLE. Facing each day with hope and tools and the support of awesome folks like there are here just makes life seem so much more...well, not to beat a dead horse, but makes it just seem possible, where for the whole rest of my life, I didn't see options. So no matter what happens from here, I have to be thankful for the fact that possibilities and hope were reintroduced to me...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Welcome Becca! :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Somebody already said it but dietdoctor.com is excellent. Andrees Einfedlt is the DR behind it and his lectures are great to. He is very humorous but also informative.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Becca

Welcome Becca! I wish you a ton of success in this WOE. :)
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca, welcome to the group. You will find everyone here both helpful & friendly, I know I have. Good luck in your new lifestyle, great job in getting your husband to take the journey with you.