Fat fast to restart keto?

Options
LuizH
LuizH Posts: 211 Member
I've been away on holiday for a week and relaxed my eating a little more than I intended (freshly baked bread for breakfast is much harder to resist when it's all laid out for you and smelling so beautiful), so I've managed to pile on a few pounds. At my first weigh-in coming back I was 10lbs up but 7lbs of that came off in the first couple of days so now I'm back to only 3lbs up, which still sets me back a month from where I was preholiday.

I restarted keto yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'll get back in to ketosis reasonably quickly as it usually only takes a few days, but I'm also desperate to see those extra 3 pounds off as quickly as possible so I'm thinking a fat fast may be the way to go. Does anyone use fat fasts in this way to get back to ketosis quickly?

My plan is to start the fat fast tomorrow morning, I have swim training tonight and am planning a 6 mile run first thing in the morning, I usually don't eat between my Tuesday swim and my Wednesday run so I will be starting the day fasted which I hope should help boost the kick-start from the fat fast. I don't really know how long to keep the fast up, would 2-3 days of fat fasting be enough or should I just keep it up until I get a positive reading on my ketostix?

I need to do some reading to make sure I do this properly!

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've heard of people going on egg fasts. I found it a lot easier to dip back into ketosis the second time around, after a trip to Iceland where I ate what people fed me. Even without a fast of any kind, it took about a day to get +results with the strips. Exercise helps you deplete your glycogen. I'd go for a long swim.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @LuizH what did you decide about the fat fast? I'm curious. I'm going back into ketosis after a lovely foray into Halloween with my partner. I gained 9lbs but am also expecting most of that to come off in the first few days. But I haven't lost for about 3 months and really couldn't find that keto sweet spot. So I'm thinking this might help me as well.

How's it going?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    LuizH wrote: »
    My plan is to start the fat fast tomorrow morning, I have swim training tonight and am planning a 6 mile run first thing in the morning, I usually don't eat between my Tuesday swim and my Wednesday run so I will be starting the day fasted which I hope should help boost the kick-start from the fat fast. I don't really know how long to keep the fast up, would 2-3 days of fat fasting be enough or should I just keep it up until I get a positive reading on my ketostix?

Oh my, you will be making MEGA ketones in a couple days.

Fasting for 24 hours with no exercise will deplete your glycogen and you'll start making a bunch of ketones.

Fasting + exercise will give you a HUGE ketone boost. That's what I do to bootstrap ketosis. Usually just a fasted run will get me started in less than 24 hours, but it depends on how fast and long I run.

As a rule of thumb, all you need to know is 1) deplete glycogen to enter ketosis, 2) liver glycogen is about 100g = 400 kcal, and 3) your brain alone will burn through 130g glucose = 500+ kcal in 24 hours if the glucose/glycogen is available.

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I decided against the fat fast today for a few reasons:

1 - Yesterday I hit my fat and protein goals but was still having really strong carb cravings in the evening. I didn't cave (total carbs for the day 21g) but I don't think it's sensible to deprive myself further of calories while I have any kinds of cravings, that will almost certainly end in failure!
    2 - My ketostix this morning showed a slight positive, so I'm already probably back to ketosis. There's no need to fix something that isn't really broken
    3 - When I weighed in this morning the holiday weight was gone. ALL OF IT :D. I may be slightly dehydrated from swim training but I did try to increase my water consumption overnight to minimise this effect.

I also didn't do the fasted run because hubby was driving past my work so I got a lift in instead, but I will be running 3 miles at lunchtime and as I don't do breakfast I will be fasted for that anyway.

I guess I'll keep the fat fast until I really need it :relaxed:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Getting back into ketosis is really simple, it's just getting back on plan and it happens. It's not like the first time unless the "holiday" has been longer than a few days. Glad you're back at it! :smiley: