Lower carbs and your preference/style

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
So as we all know there are many ways/degrees to be "low carb". I've tried a few in my life (read: Atkins, Primal, Paleo, etc.). I know it works well for me and I generally feel better, but I basically suck at sticking to it forever. This week I started low carb eating again (under 100g of carb/day is the general goal). So far it's been the basics (eggs, meat, some cheese, avocado, etc.). I know if I don't get cracking on some recipes/variety, I will inevitably fall off the wagon. I love food, flavors, variety, etc. and I'll get bored with the same stuff all the time. So I've been poking around and reading a lot. Checking out recipes and whatnot. I'm torn now, though - do I take the more primal/paleo angle here and just skip all of anything processed or do I just focus most on lowering carbs in general (and buy low carb tortillas, noodles, snacks etc.). Does it matter much overall which way you do it, or is there a more favored method? Obviously I know that eating processed food is less desirable, and in an ideal world I would just stop. I just really want this to work this time and I'm afraid if cut myself down too much I'm signing up for failure out the gates. Know what I mean? I'm not trying to cop out or be a wimp, I'm analyzing history and recognizing the reality of things. Either way, I'm just curious of what others are doing and how they feel about it. I have a thick skin, so if you feel the need to tell me not to be a baby, that's fine, too.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    In the first couple months, I used anything I could to get by. I couldn't fathom introducing things into my diet like hemp seeds and coconut oil. Now, I've ditched more of the sweets, and am focusing on overall health, so for me, I think it's completely an individual choice AND each person is an evolution.

I've tried a ton of recipes, and some things i keep coming back to. So for me, I say, all of the above. As you identified, needing flavors and variety etc. is a stumbling block for you. My advice for that is to google the word "keto" before ANY recipe you've ever tried or wanted to try. "Keto pizza" "Keto pot roast" "Keto pork chops" "keto casserole" and the possibilities go on forever. "keto ice cream" "keto cheesecake" "keto cookies."

You will find literally DOZENS of recipes to sample. Under the main stickied post at the top of this forum, there are user recommended recipe pages. I tend to google and run across the same 10-15 sites. When I find a recipe I like, I sign up for a newsletter. So don't think there is something you can't make. Everyone here will brainstorm with you to fill in the gaps of your favorite things.

Make backup plans for your backup plans. Stock and tote (in your purse or wherever) LC friendly snacks. Make a list of acceptable "out" options (we have a few threads here that have covered that). Make a list of acceptable "convenience store foods" so you'll know the better options.

Try adding things in and taking things out. Personally, I wouldn't go for an "angle." I would try everything, see what your taste buds like, what your body likes, what your spouse likes. The best part about low carbing is that it is hands down the most easily customizable plan ever. Don't like coconut, have a dozen more options. Allergic to dairy - dairy free stuff. Can do nuts? Want it Vegetarian or Pescatarian style? You can do it. Wanna have meatless Mondays? It's all possible.

The main reasons I see folks fail are: they make it harder than it has to be, they try to do it in an extreme way, they box themselves into limited options, they try to make it match all their former addictions, they don't focus on the mental side of food cravings/addictions/compulsions, they don't study the science, they don't get enough electrolytes in the beginning, they don't take breaks from exercise/slow it down while adjusting, and they over-sweeten things trying to get that "sweet high" one has on a traditional diet.

If you have to include processed foods in a pinch, do it. It's better to include some less savory additives that to jump off plan for inconvenience. Figure out your weaknesses, foods you aren't willing to give up, foods you never want to eat again. Don't be afraid to get wacky and experiment. Some of the greatest recipes out there were created by accident....
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, boredom is your friend. :)

I'm also at around 100g, and I'm also hyperaware of triggers that might cause me to fall off the wagon. I think we have to be at that level of carb intake, because it's easy to go down a slippery slope.

So for me, I don't look specifically for variety. I simply avoid foods that cause cravings, and that includes just about all faux-carb foods like low-carb crackers, tortillas, etc.

Having said that, there's a variety of delicious low-carb food that won't cause cravings. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas here. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I started eating this way in May when my SO's doctor told him he must lose weight and recommended Atkins. I set my goal to ~ 100 grams while the man was starting at 20. This gave me a lot of leeway, most of the time I am well under 100, between 40-70, and the times I feel like I goofed up I am not that far over 100. Usually the goof ups are when I go to Mom's for dinner, so I will occasionally sample some potatoes or rice or pasta, just in much smaller quantities than I used to eat. I feel GREAT, and have lost 18 pounds without being hungry, without it feeling like a diet, without feeling deprived. The man has lost 55 pounds. He struggles more with cravings for carbs & sweets than I do, but he realizes that this is healthier and it certainly has been effective.

The first month or so was hardest as we were figuring out what to eat and getting bored. But we started looking up recipes and trying different things, as Knit suggests.

For me, I didn't really pick a particular style, I just set the carb goal and went from there, but with a lot of latitude. I don't beat myself up if I go over or eat something that is higher carb, I just consistently tried being under that goal and the results started following. I find that it really is quite flexible and not restricting.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I find that the longer I eat low carb in general, the more flexible my carb level can be while still staying at a good level.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think you know yourself best. If you need some conveniences of packaged foods and can stick to 100g or less with those conveniences and be successful enough for that to also keep you putting in the effort, then I say do that. But there's also no rule that says you have to follow anyone's rules here. If you want to go Paleo, but you know you need some packaged conveniences say twice a week... Then by all means do that. Just don't go chatting about it on some Paleo boards... ;)
    There's nothing wrong with taking bits of pieces of different low carb methods that interest you and forming your own way. It's entirely likely that you will rework your plan as you go anyway.
    For me, I have an issue with cravings that always seems to creep up if I allow carbs to visit the 30's range for long or eat overly sweetened things. We each have our weaknesses and strengths and I thinks long term success depends solely on learning how you need to do things to keep on track, to keep your sanity and see the results you are looking for. Experimenting and giving full effort to whatever you decide is what will reveal those secrets and you can make adjustments as needed.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Thank you guys, so much for chiming in. It's kind of hard to bounce ideas around if you don't know anyone IRL that does it! I think for now I'm just going to do whatever it takes for me to stay under 100 (with a goal of avoiding processed things unless I'm hard up for something specific). I'm sort of struggling balancing right now - the calories, carbs, protein, fat and sugar. I feel like I'm juggling and I keep dropping one or two balls every day. It's annoying, but I am guessing it's not uncommon when you're trying to get the feel for it all.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Thank you guys, so much for chiming in. It's kind of hard to bounce ideas around if you don't know anyone IRL that does it! I think for now I'm just going to do whatever it takes for me to stay under 100 (with a goal of avoiding processed things unless I'm hard up for something specific). I'm sort of struggling balancing right now - the calories, carbs, protein, fat and sugar. I feel like I'm juggling and I keep dropping one or two balls every day. It's annoying, but I am guessing it's not uncommon when you're trying to get the feel for it all.

Focus on those carbs and sugars first. That needs to be the main adaption. Those should be hard limits.

Your protein should be a flexible range with a hard lower limit (that can have flux as long as you hit your average in a week to 10 days' time) to maintain your current muscle mass.

Fat should be to satiety.

While you are focused on adapting to your new program, calories are less of a concern. You need extra calories for your body to convert your "engine" to better metabolic flexibility anyway. While you're getting your carbs locked down, maybe switch to your maintenance calorie expectation as your upper limit until you get the other things locked down.

Focus on one thing first and get it locked in. Once that habit is well and truly locked, move on to the next one. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I wish Dave Asprey didn't take away the infographics he had for his Bulletproof Diet. It was great for illustration purposes. Unfortunately, thanks to some jerks ripping it off, the original is no longer available. Here is a small part of it to get the idea, though:

Bulletproof-Diet-Proteins-small.jpg

Basically, each class of items (grains, fats/oils, spices, proteins, etc) had a scale like that one. Various items in those classes would sit somewhere on that scale. In the oils, for example, grassfed butter/ghee, unrefined avocado oil, and virgin coconut oil would be in the "green" zone, conventional butter, refined coconut oil, and cold-pressed nut oils would be in the "yellow" zone, and canola and soybean oil would be in the "red" zone. The ideal would be to eat entirely from foods that are firmly in the "green" zone, but we all know life happens and sometimes you can't do the ideal. So, you use the scale as a guide for what the better choices are, and you do the best you can with what's available.

That's largely what I do. I use the Primal Blueprint as my basic template, which I've refined there based on my own needs, down to a carnivorous way of eating. However, there are times where I can't adhere as strictly as I'd prefer to primary way of eating, so I fall back to Primal in those instances. Meat only, without sugary sauces, is ideal, but I'll deal with a sugary sauce if I have to (I don't like to and I try to avoid it, but sometimes the description in a restaurant doesn't convey the dish quite right, and I'm not the type to drill the waitstaff on such things), or I'll eat a salad if there's not sufficient meat available, and while I generally avoid soybean oil, I won't sweat it if it's used for the dressing for said salad, or what's used to cook the food with.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    What's the ideal sugar range again? I thought I read it somewhere, but now I can't even find it. I am at 40g/ day now (but not being a good little sugar bug and staying under that) - but if it's not right I might as well fix it up and make that my next victim. This week I'm trying to focus on staying under 100g of carbs, so next week I'll add in the sugar to the mix I think. I only went over carb limit one day by 10 or so grams, not bad IMO. Just have to keep my focus locked in :) You peeps are the best :)

Dragon - that's a handy chart. I'm sad to hear the whole thing is bye-bye now :( I'd like to have it as a reference (even if I meander into the yellow/red zone from time to time...seems like a great guide).
  • lrosemoore1
    lrosemoore1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love variety and eating out too. I am doing great keeping my carbs under 100, I'm averaging 60-70. There are a lot of free kindle books for keto, paleo, and low carb that I find on a low carb zen facebook group. They also share recipes with pictures that look so yummy I have to try them. As for eating out, I was surprised that my numbers weren't too bad just omiting the bread,pasta, and rices from my meals. Panera has a phenomenal squash soup right now, mix with a salad and you get a flavor party with reasonable carbs. (I started on paleo, but love cheese-making lchf more appealing ).
  • lrosemoore1
    lrosemoore1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that to keep my cravings away, I stopped eating any sugar or sweetners. I do eat fruit for a natural sweetness.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you what will work best for you but I will share my thoughts on my weight loss, I'm 40, dieted on and off my whole life no matter what I could never loose over 12 lbs and keep going, sometimes only 6lbs and I'd quit. One of my big problems is I love to cook as much as I love to eat..... I can cook anything with the right ingrentnts Mexican, Chinese, German you name it I've probamly cooked it and I'm southern so of course biscuts and Garvey Bahahaha I love the skin on the chicken and the fat on a steak. (This helps a lot w this WOE. Anyway I've tried low carb before and failed so bad.... I might have tried twice but this time was different I got stuck again at week 2 then 3 then a very nice lady on here told me to up my fats! I had never heard of low carb High Fat..... (Neither had my friends that started this low carb diet with me) I was shocked but after almost 2 weeks of the scale not moving I would try anything. That opened up a whole new world for me adding more fats I had to cut back protein (not realizing 35% protein was not needed. That week it started falling off again I was shocked eating fat helped me....... Since then I've realized I don't have cravings for anything but maybe every 2 weeks or so, I've been on vacation and had a birthday party and stayed in my limits...(besides the vodka water hahahah) but I'm one who can't get hungry or I won't stick I've learned how to eat out do fast food what ever I can do it now all because of the high fat 75/25/5 how long will it last IDK but for now it's working for me!! Also another friend told me about the salt intake needing to be more so the beef bouil Cubs and water are great! Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    What's the ideal sugar range again? I thought I read it somewhere, but now I can't even find it. I am at 40g/ day now (but not being a good little sugar bug and staying under that) - but if it's not right I might as well fix it up and make that my next victim. This week I'm trying to focus on staying under 100g of carbs, so next week I'll add in the sugar to the mix I think. I only went over carb limit one day by 10 or so grams, not bad IMO. Just have to keep my focus locked in :) You peeps are the best :)

Dragon - that's a handy chart. I'm sad to hear the whole thing is bye-bye now :( I'd like to have it as a reference (even if I meander into the yellow/red zone from time to time...seems like a great guide).

Typically you want as little sugar as possible and only from vegetable or dairy sources. No actual refined sugars
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Oh and I learned not to do sweeteners.... My cravings go wild the next day but I'm not a big sweet eater (besides birthday cake) anyway. The higher my carbs and sugars the more cravings I have... No thanks
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Ok I read everyone's post after I posted mine and I'm not shocked to see we are all pretty the same on keeping sweetness out of our diet for the craving aspect. I think I average 7g a day if that only what is in veggies, no way am I putting that crystal light drink flavor back in my drinks after that first time of wanting to eat anything sweet!!!! Hahaha.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't think that using processed foods is the end of the world. I like to add a cheese slice to my eggs. Very convenient and adds some quick flavour. Prevents me from losing interest in eggs which are a key to my diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have a few processed to go foods I eat a few times per week. Mainly it is cheese, bacon, sausages and pepperonis, prepared burger (beef,fish, chicken) patties, and pork rinds with an asiago artichoke cheese dip - mmmm.

I also was having some xylitol sweetened chocolate chips but the amont was increasing, and my carbs and calories were creeping up. They had to go even though my sugars rarely went above 10g per day. Like others have said, I need to keep my carbs low (below 30g) or I get hungrier.

Oops, I also use a protein whey powder in my coffee.

... Hmm, I use more processed foods than I thought I did. LOL
  • Kellyss95
    Kellyss95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lots of recipes on Pintrest ... Low carb .. Good variety too if your looking to switch things up a bit :)
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dragon wolf / deena_bean - was this what you wanted?

aq1nx5uq9gim.jpg
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    This is all very helpful, thank you. I am not really looking for an 'answer' as much as what are you all doing and what is working. As for the sugars, I don't have too much of a sweet tooth so that helps. I do like one packet of truvia in my coffee in the morning and I love to have fruit once or twice a day. I'll be spending this month watching how different things effect me. I think I'll pick up some low carb or paleo tortilla/wraps so that I can enjoy some of the things I love best (mexican feast and 'wraps' for lunch). I do not like having inconvenient lunch issues, so I have to be very cautious. It will take me some time to build up some recipes and some "go-to" meals again, but I'm pretty patient. I can tell you that having lowered my carbs this week I can already tell some differences. My stomach doesn't churn around like crazy after I eat, I've lost a couple of pounds, and I feel like I look smaller (even though it's probably minor, I'll take it). I have also noticed that I'm running out of energy in the evening. It was suggested to up my calories closer to maintenance for a few weeks during the body reset, so I'm considering that. Yesterday for lunch I had mexican food with my husband. We went to a restaurant, he had the chips and salsa and a burrito - I had fajitas and asked for no shells and added a side of guac. I didn't feel like I was missing out (which surprised me because I just LOVE chips and salsa). Going pretty good - I'm anxious to whip up some good meals!

@slim - I think that's what dragon is talking about. I can't see it too well to read it, but maybe I'll be able to find something close.

Thanks again, everyone, for your support! This week I lowered my carbs drastically, next week I'm going to add in lowering my sugars even more. They've naturally lowered on their own by lowering carbs, but still aren't really low enough I think.